Hist. Monaco GP 2021 | FerrariChat

Hist. Monaco GP 2021

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by wbaeumer, Apr 25, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    Two customers of mine had their 300S in the race. David Hart from Holland with his freshly under my supervision restored 300S #3067 had a fantastic start but later crashed while Spaniad Guillermo Ferro won the the race in his ex-David Knopfler 300S.
    Btw.: Guillermo also won the GP race in the ex-Maria-Theresa de Fillippis 250F!

THese results confirm again how competitive these Maserati cars are when they are propperly sorted and maintained!
    Unfortunately the ex-Maria de Fillippis A6GCS was really shunted in the race...
    Video starts with the Sports car race:

Image Unavailable, Please Login

MK1044, 71Satisfaction, psw and 6 others like this.
  2. 3500 GT

3500 GT Formula 3

Nov 2, 2008
    USA
    Full Name:
    Gentleman Racer
    So wonderful....

Thank you for the post and insight Walter!

I dream of driving my my Formula 4 one day there...got to dream...

3. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    Great video. Demolition derby for the rich and famous.

The 300S really looks nice taking the curves.

Ivan

4. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    Question I have is the event going to be scheduled for 2022? And if so when?

5. AMLC

AMLC Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2009
    Two news items about the 300S, with photos, on David Hart's website: https://dhgracing.nl/nieuws/.

Unfortunately it’s only in Dutch I think.

They mention that this was the first race in Europe for this 300S in 65 years. And that his DNF was probably caused by a gearbox problem.

6. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Hi Ivan,

I would not be that harsh.

I have attended about five times as a journalist writing reports for Ferrari Market Letter, Autoweek, the Swedish Maserati club. It normally takes place every two years but could not be bothered to go this year due to the Covid hassles and not wanting to commute in the little train full of Covid to Menton where I usually stay.
    Clearly most participants are very cautious, respectful of their beloved cars and of the unforgiving nature of the circuit. When you think that these are mateurs or in a few cases retired pros there are remarkably few accidents considering the sheer number of cars taking part. yes Arnoux blotted his copy book and that chap Werner was totally out of line hitting the back of Alesi's car putting him in the wall...and then acting rudely on the podium, he will be banned of course. Alex Caffi also was at fault in colliding with another car but he was accident prone during his F1 career...

Consider all the laps by all the people that you did not see when the internet always brings out the worst showing the accidents. There was one amateur in an F1 car that caused a collision a few years ago, a big mistake and he was not allowed back.

I highly recommend this event which will take place again next year as the crowd is then times less than for F1 so you can move around, there are almost only enthusiasts, plus there are two or three auctions, which are great to visit and observe...or buy from.

3500 GT and wbaeumer like this.
  7. wilde

wilde Formula Junior

Jan 12, 2009
    France
    Very sad news for the A6CGS... I just watched the video, the 300S is bulletproof... Fantastic car.

8. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    Well, David is wrong here. His car was raced by its former German owner during the last 6 or 7 years.
    After his purchase, David Hart hired me to supervise the restoration. Partnered by his very ambitious mechanic, Nicky Pastorelli, I found out, that the coachwork was original -but from a different car. Chassis #3067 was a semi-longnose car while the body on it was in longnose specs.
    We discussed what to do and I advised to get the car back to its semi-longnose to match the looks of it with Moss in Buenos Aires and Fangio in Cuba, both in 1957. Due to the original color-sheet from the 1950s in my archive, we were able to match the original Maserati "Corsa-Red".
    The engine is original but non-matching. It was a spare unit for a different 300S that was delivered new to the US. Dr. Fred Simeone, the famous collector from Philadelphia, had sold that engine to the former, former owner of the car in Italy.
    A lot of attention went to the details of the coachwork, to match everything when it was raced by Moss and Fangio.

Yes, the reason for the DNF in Monaco was a gearbox problem.

AMLC likes this.
  9. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    Yes and no! The body of the ex-De Fillippis A6GCS is not the original coachwork.

10. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    Ivan, historic racing in EU is significantly different to the US and many circuits like Nürburgring, Goodwood, Spa, Monza, Dijon and Monaco etc. are much more dangerous than the wide range US circuits. You need to know what to do on these tracks. The dogfight of Alesi and Werner was the race of the weekend. On some moments the distance between both cars were less than 1 meter!

Yes, the 300S in general handles very well in corners. With these 50s cars you slip more around corners than driving. The deep seating position IN the car is much better than that with the 1950s Ferrari where are are more sitting ON the car. Guillermo made a mistake at the start in his 300S when he had been too long on the clutch, causing overheating. Great that he also won the 1950s F1 race in his 250F. He is a very good racer and also loves to drive in many other events the ex-Nick Mason T60 Birdcage I had the privilage to broker to him.

11. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    Here are 2 short clips of David`s car:

1. driven by his mechanic Nicky Pastorelli on public roads as a first roll-out just after its resto.
    2. David made a test run just before the Monaco weekend.

(both clips are not taken by me!)

MAKE IT LOUD to hear the fantastic sound of the inline 6!!!!!

Attached Files:

Merak1974 and AMLC like this.
  12. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
  13. Merak1974

Merak1974 Formula 3

Aug 31, 2009
    Oslo, Norway
    Full Name:
    Gabriel R.G. Benito
    Fantastic sound!

14. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    Ivan,
    I stopped doing Monterey years ago, replaced it with the Goodwood Revival. Much better event, in fact it’s not even close. Haven’t done Monaco Historics yet, was supposed to be there this year, but I canceled my room. I assume it will take place next year and in the middle of May 2 weeks before the F1 race.

15. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Joe you wouldn't have been allowed to come surely you know travel to Europe is banned for Americans now and conversely we can't come to the US either, because of Covid restrictions. I have major historic racing cars to test drive in the US for articles so I can't wait for restrictions to be lifted. Yes the Historic GP will take place in 2022 as normal 14 days before F1. After that the following edition will be 2024, every two years.

16. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    which is why I canceled my room. I know our friends from Connecticut were still planning on going as of the beginning of April. I did see photos of their car in the pits, but didn’t see them in the videos racing

17. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    There was a sixties 312 F1 car but it was entered in the 1966-72 race by a German raceshop, Methusalem racing of Mario Linke -he ran the Breadvan when I raced it with its owners the Werners at Le Mans Classic 2008- and driven by Alex Caffi ex F1 driver who had a silly crash with it hitting the back of another car.

Thee was no Ferrari in the 61-65 class.

Here all the entries:

https://acm.mc/en/edition/grand-prix-de-monaco-historique-2021/event/engages/

...and a 300S did win the sportscar race!

https://acm.mc/wp-content/uploads/2021/04/C-Classement-de-la-course-final-1.pdf

Here all results:

https://acm.mc/en/edition/grand-prix-de-monaco-historique-2021/event/results/

18. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
  19. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
  20. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
  21. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
  22. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Joe...it's a photo from 2018.

Facebook is idiot central they put photos online without any care for when they were taken ,propagate erroneous info all the time. Furthermore mask are mandatory now, that is your cue, none of the four people in the photo wear one.

23. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    Nembo1777 likes this.
  24. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    knew the car is in Italy. Talked to them, they had planned on going. While travel is restricted, certain individuals are able to get around it going both ways.

25. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Elite sportsmen (Romain Grosjean even got his entire family to come from Switzerland to tour Florida with him before the first Indycar race) or major business travel needs will be ok but I know a major collector who sold one of the most expensive cars in the world a year or two ago, and his Gulsftream jet has not crossed the Atlantic in the last year even though he wanted to and used to do it all the time...

Even the Haas F1 team could not get their car started before the test in Bahrein because some staff could not as per usual travel from Ferrari's Maranello base to the team's HQ in the UK.