Drop my order on the 992 Turbo S and get a Scuderia | FerrariChat

Drop my order on the 992 Turbo S and get a Scuderia

Discussion in '360/430' started by bigfra, Apr 27, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bigfra

bigfra Rookie

Apr 27, 2021
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Hi, first post on here and as the title suggests its a strange one. I sold my 991 GT3 last year and decided to order a 992 Turbo S, point was to buy something I would use more often. My build date is September/October this year so I still have plenty of time to cancel the order.

I had never thought about cancelling my order until i bought myself an M5 Comp Pack to run around in until the 992 arrived. After using the car for a good few months (Lovely spec and tuned by Evolve to 750hp) it suddenly dawned on me how soulless the car felt compared to an event car like my GT3. I used to make time to take the GT3 a drive, track days etc but after having the M5 i realise how the 992 TS will be very similar to the M5 in many ways and no where near as much fun as the GT3

For years I have wanted to get a Ferrari and especially a Scuderia and I think with the way the world is changing with regards to Turbos and electric cars I won't have much longer to experience something like a Scuderia.

Would be interested to hear what your thoughts were on this or am I being daft considering not taking the Turbo.

2. Twosherpaz

Twosherpaz Formula Junior

Feb 25, 2014
    Thermal, CA
    Full Name:
    Private
    I’ve sold my modern Porsches. I find I do not grab the keys when the likes of Ferraris and a 765 are sitting there beside them.

Performify, FerRrari and one4torque like this.
  3. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Well wouldn’t a Scuderia put you back in the same place usage wise?

If it is a car you will use more than 5k miles a year, you can’t beat a Porsche Turbo. Take it anywhere, park it anywhere, no unwanted attention, a warranty, low maintenance costs.

The trade off is that it isn’t an exotic, not aspirational

4. bigfra

bigfra Rookie

Apr 27, 2021
    Glasgow, Scotland

I agree but having the M5 has made me change my view on having a fun car. Also, the realisation that the likes of NA V8 Ferraris will never be made again make me really want to experience one in my lifetime.

AndreB likes this.
  5. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    go with the scuderia or even consider a 458.

Scuderia Niels likes this.
  6. Scottslaw

Scottslaw Formula Junior

I'm a die hard Porsche fan (I have owned 10 modern and a few older ones), and I can without hesitation say that the newer Porsches are more--and more easily--"useable." But even my tracked out 996 gt3 with shortened gearing, crazy cup exhaust, and 2800lbs soaking wet doesn't result in 1/10th of the emotion of my scud. With that said, when you are not wanting that level of stimulation (or attention), its nice to be able to "turn it off" and take something else that is still enjoyable. One analogy I just though of is apt I think: Everyone likes a crazy, loud, epic and exciting party, but you wouldn't want to party like that multiple times per day (well, some of us might). It would just get old. Its perfect in doses, but you need some "easy" and quiet enjoyable dinners with friends in order to stay sane and keep the universe in balance! Good luck!

Scuderia Niels, kes7u and EnzoItaly like this.
  7. bigfra

bigfra Rookie

Apr 27, 2021
    Glasgow, Scotland
    thanks for that response. I totally get where you are coming from, I’ve had two GT3’s and I can only imagine the kind of attention the scuderia would get

8. EnzoItaly

EnzoItaly Formula Junior

Sep 29, 2016
    They are completely different cars: though I’m (also) a (classic) Porsche enthusiast and driver... I would dare to call the 992 a vacuum cleaner compared to the Scud: the Scud is a raw and thrilling experience... a car that’s always ON... it offers a great experience, again and again, not only because of the engine but also because of the pure interior, the stance, the shift lights on the steering wheel, the magnificent race seats and safety belts... the naked carbon... the sound of ticking little stones inside the wheel arches... the responsiveness... the awesome brakes... the good (but not amongst the best) steering feel: it will generate ten times more adrenaline than the 992!!

bigfra likes this.
  9. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    I think its a great move I have had 2 Scuds and think they are a great car.. I have a 991.2 911 TurboS and am considering selling it .. I already have the Scud ... but to me they are an exciting car with just the right amount of power
    and a lot more excitement then many other Ferraris .

Island Guy and bigfra like this.
  10. DeTomasoGTS74

DeTomasoGTS74 Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2016
    Austin
    Full Name:
    Eric
    not daft at all. Most modern cars, while significantally more capable, seem to have lost their “soul”.

I absolutly love my Scud, it speaks to me. every time I drive is a special occasion.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

bigfra likes this.
  11. gw32

gw32 Formula Junior

Apr 6, 2017
    Sonoma, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary
    I have been driving Porsches since the '70's. About 4 years ago I traded my 911 race car for a Scud. I wanted the closest experience I could get to the race car. The Scud meets that objective like no other street legal car is stock trim. I only use it for club drives or drives with friends. It is not a daily driver but is the ultimate back road blaster! The Scud has started to appreciate again. I paid $195K 4 yrs. ago, it was at about $175K end of 2019 and now is about $200K (w/average miles 10-20K). The Turbo S, while a great car will depreciate, much more than a GT3. Go with the Scud.

bigfra likes this.
  12. kiryu

kiryu Formula Junior

Mar 28, 2016
    Los Angeles
    I had gt3s and sold them because i find them quite boring unless u track it, there's only so much speed u can carry in the canyons or public street before it turns suicidal or into a public nuisance. Happened to look for a daily recently with things returning to normal and wife needing a daily again, looked at a turbo S cab and all is well until I asked the seller to rev it full throttle. The moment I heard how soulless that thing sounded even bouncing off the limiter, it killed any desire i have for the car. Yes it's super usable, and will probably easily keep up with a RS or GT3 any day, is a bargain given how much they depreciated and a sleeper with supercar performance that you can drive everyday...but generates very little want. I believe cars in these categories need to excite u and the tts certainly doesnt do it for me, it's really just bragging rights of a porsche flagship daily driver more than anything. The scud fits that want very well but it's definitely not usable, u dont want to drive too much of it haha. It falls apart and need a lot more care than a porsche. oh and also, it doesnt get as much attention as you might think. It looks like a regular f430 to many outside the ferrari world

honda corse and bigfra like this.
  13. henley1

henley1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2018
    Full Name:
    Lee
    It’s really really simple. If it dosent have a steel key. Don’t get one. If it’s a daily, sure. I sold my 991.2 rs and never looked back.

honda corse and bigfra like this.
  14. luccio

luccio Rookie

Feb 10, 2021
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Luccio
    I can only concur!
    I keep my 991S as daily driver and am buying a Scuderia as a weekend toy next to my classic cars.
    Modern cars are getting boring or indeed dangerous on open roads when one tries to have too much fun...

bigfra likes this.
  15. redcaruser

redcaruser Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2012
    switzerland
    Full Name:
    daniel
    For everyday driving, I have a Maserati Granturismo 2018 and an RR Sport with V8 SC, also 2018, both cars with a certain amount of emotion. For the real kick when it comes to power, I have a McLaren. But by far the most intense driving experience is generated by my Scuderia, which is simply unbeatable when it comes to pure driving pleasure, and such a car will never be built again (legal regulations). But for everyday driving I have to say that the Scuderia is far too intense, this car is amazing. When I pick up the Scuderia car key, the pleasure of anticipation is always at its highest. A car that I will never sell again. What should be my key message: for everyday use, the Scuderia can be overstimulating/stressing for the driver. In my case, I find that I often drive the Scud around like a little idiot, with the revs way too high and always shifting up and down, the exhaust flaps open, of course, even in urban areas. Like I said, like a little idiot. I sold my 911 Carrera 4S Cabrio years ago, this "perfect piece of German automotive engineering" is somehow "too good at everything", in other words "a wee bit too boring"... ;)

bigfra likes this.
  16. bigfra

bigfra Rookie

Apr 27, 2021
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Thanks, you sold a Gen 2 991 RS for a Scud ?

17. henley1

henley1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2018
    Full Name:
    Lee
    I guess in a round about way, sold my 997gt3 do help with 991.2 rs . From the moment I took delivery, I new it was a mistake. Drove it from new to 8500ish km. Did a bunch of track days, really tried to like it but just didn’t get there. Then went full bmw mode and went from a rs to e36 m3. Kinda a weird change I guess , but really enjoyed that as a well set up back roads car. Way more fun then I thought it would be. Fast forward another month or 2 found a really nice 20k mile e46. Had a great time in that, toyed with a 675lt for about a month. Didn’t grab me really, so went SCUD. Figured as a car guy it’s so important to tick that Ferrari box. definitely a different feeling car. Grows on you for sure. Back to the OP question. Yes cancel it, unless you can flip it or something. Which I don’t think that market is there for 992 TTS.

18. bigfra

bigfra Rookie

Apr 27, 2021
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Seems like you are more or less in the same boat as I am with the ticking the Ferrari box. Appreciate the input.

19. Scottslaw

Scottslaw Formula Junior

Seems like a lot of us scud guys are cut from the same cloth! I also have a 2018 RR sport SC v8 (awesome car!). I agree with 100% of what you say here. Its gotten to the point where modern "supercars" are just too fast to really enjoy unless you are homicidal/suicidal/at the track. And if you are not one of those three, then they are simply boring (nice to look at, but "meh" to drive). The honest truth is that some of my favorite driver's cars have been "underpowered" by today's standards. My 81 911 sc backdate with a massaged 3.2 and fiberglass body parts everywhere was an absolute riot to drive but would get smoked by a Camry from stoplight to stoplight. New mustangs would trounce my 996 gt3 but I don't care. And there are about 20 cars under 100k these days that could keep relatively close pace to a scud, but none have even remotely the soul of this thing.

@henley1, you are not crazy for going from an rs to an e36 m3...I just picked up another as a project and with some suspension mods and a few bolt ons, those cars are insane fun!

redcaruser and bigfra like this.
  20. NMNMNMN

NMNMNMN Formula Junior
    BANNED

Why not get a scud and a 992 C2S for a daily.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat