Nudge Bar | FerrariChat

Nudge Bar

Discussion in '206/246' started by possum, Apr 27, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. possum

possum Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2008
    australia
    Full Name:
    johnno
    #1 possum, Apr 27, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2021
  2. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
    difficult question with no straight forward answer.....
    some could have been factory fitted, some dealership fitted...

3. racerboy9

racerboy9 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    From past discussions it seems the nudge bar was a factory accessory with part number 20285508. Most were dealer installed but maybe a handful were factory installed.

docf likes this.
  4. dinoart

dinoart Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 30, 2004
    Westminster CA
    Full Name:
    David
    I have a spare.

5. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    NoGoSlow likes this.
  6. isuk

isuk F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Iain
    There were different types of nudge bar Tony. You car is a late E series with the shorter front bumpers. Your bar sits at a lower level and visually looks almost to lie flat across the top of the bumpers. The earlier E series models shared the M series bumper design that curved into the grille so the nudge bar design had to suit the respective bumper designs. The photo's Johnno posted are of an early E series and I had the same nudge bar as it on 03342 and it was fitted by Maranello Concessionaires prior to delivery when the car was new and was listed on their invoice but not the one from the factory. That design rises up from the bumper with a 90 degree return before then curving along above the top edge of the grille.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

GermanDino likes this.
  7. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    I stand corrected!:)

8. racerboy9

racerboy9 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
  9. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    Such a point of never talked about stuff....

Shawn

10. itsat34

itsat34 Rookie

Nov 26, 2020
    England
    Full Name:
    martin jones
    Emboldened by my first post today, Ill add my ten cents worth:
    My car was a Maranello UK photo car and it had had the badge bar from new.
    When I bought it in the eighties, I asked one of the photographers if he knew why?
    (This may be apocryphal,) He told me that Maranello said it was to protect the delicate nose from clumsy snappers........:)

11. MarkT

MarkT Karting

Jun 7, 2004
    mountains-NC
    Full Name:
    Mark Turczyn
    I never thought much of the look of nudge bars on the Dino, and drilling a hole in each bumper to fit one was not something I wanted to do on my Dino when I bought it in 1974.

I can attest to how delicate the nose is though. I was at a party in '75 and was parked on the street. About two hours into the party a guy comes up to me and asked if I owned the Dino parked outside. I think he asked almost everyone else first, which was a common thing when I went to parties since my long hair, sloppy jeans,and T-shirt marked me as a low-brow hippy. I said yes and he told me that he just saw a guy with a VW bug back into my car while trying to park-- and then drove away when he noticed he backed up almost to the front of my hood.

I had to order the paint through Algar because at the time the US paint lines had no tints to match the red. I ordered three 1-liter tins which took two months for me to get. The local body shop repaired it with the body guy actually hammering and picking out the dent and almost no bondo which I appreciated.

The paint guy opened up one tin, sprayed my nose----and tossed away what was left in the tin- which really pissed me off. My Dino was so new at the time that the paint was a perfect match which was pretty amazing since I always felt no Ferrari left the factory with exactly the same red as the one built before or after it.

I still have the two tins on my shelf. When I restored my Dino I went with PPG Global which has a bit more blue in it and does not turn orange in bright sunlight as my original paint did.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

NYC Fred and 375+ like this.
  12. docf

docf Formula 3

Sep 14, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary
    I liked the look & the protective feature but never ordered the accessory. I truly do miss my 72 Dino.

13. DrDweeb

DrDweeb Karting

Nov 30, 2013
    ... and mine was nudged and getting repaired and I was thinking of obtaining one.