Sebring Series 2 Electric Power Steering | FerrariChat

Sebring Series 2 Electric Power Steering

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by psw, Jan 16, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. psw

psw Formula 3

Nov 17, 2005
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I'm thinking of installing the EZ electric power steering to my Sebring, has anyone else done the same? Would love to hear opinions.

2. emsiegel13

emsiegel13 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2007
    Grayslake, Illinis
    Full Name:
    Elliot M. Siegel
    I'll be looking at this as I want to do an electric system for my Mistral but be advised the alternator will have to be substantial upgraded to handle the power requirements. I mention this for those who may want to keep their cars factory original.

3. psw

psw Formula 3

Nov 17, 2005
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Thanks, I'll ensure my workshop checks that out, that said they've installed a few EZ's in classic Ferrari's & didn't suggest it was a problem.

4. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Try contacting Ivan Ruiz, he's on here https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/members/thecarnut.32929/

He's got that system on one of his non Maserati cars and appears to like it and he's sort of familiar with Maseratis I think? ;) :p

I know he's posted about it on here.

Sounds like a nice upgrade.

5. emsiegel13

emsiegel13 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2007
    Grayslake, Illinis
    Full Name:
    Elliot M. Siegel
    On some of the aftermarket electric steering systems, the maximum power draw can be as high as 360 volts or 30 amps. Of course that's momentary and can be handled by the battery but vintage Maserati alternators have always been closer to the marginal output rather than erring on the side of a bit of extra power.

6. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    I have the EZ electric power steering on an Iso Grifo and really like it. There are two options to control the amount of steering assistance ... with a manual rheostat or with an device that connects on the back of the speedo and reduces assistance as speed increases. When I purchased the Grifo it had just a rheostat and later I replaced it with the speed sensor. I also have a toggle switch to completely turn the system of. That comes in handy on very curvy roads where the car is not going too fast and you may not want too much steering assistance.

Ivan

Nembo1777 likes this.
  7. psw

psw Formula 3

Nov 17, 2005
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Thanks Ivan, I'll pass that onto my mechanic.

8. psw

psw Formula 3

Nov 17, 2005
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I've recently got my car back after the EZ was installed, it has really changed the enjoyment of the car. I've recently returned from a 500km trip & it was well worth the investment. We did have some issue with the original speedo cable not being long enough to enable use of the speed sensor, so my mechanic temporarily installed the Rheostat manual dial for adjustable assistance. Car is back with them & having the new longer speedo cable installed so we can hook up the auto speed sensitive assistance.

I'm off next week with 16 other classic cars for a 2500km week long trip.

Nembo1777 likes this.
  9. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    It seems like every story about these conversions involves issues with the speedo cable. It's pretty odd with the Espada because the speedo is driven by a gearbox on the front wheel. If I remember correctly there is a GPS based option though. I wonder how well that works?

10. psw

psw Formula 3

Nov 17, 2005
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Interesting you say this, I hadn't heard it from a couple of friends I know who installed them, all just positive comments, as ultimately mine is, the GPS option not offered on EZ & I'd be a little concerned a GPS reacted quickly enough.

11. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    #11 staatsof, Apr 27, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2021
    They were at one time because the gentleman with the Espada was discussing a conversion but yes I'd be concerned about how well that works too. He sold the car a few months later so I don't know what they did if anything.

https://www.cumminscars.com/ez-gps

http://www.ezpowersteering.nl/88/247/EZ__ELECTRIC_POWER_STEERING.html

The speed signal kan be realised artificially through GPS or through a speed sensor installed between the speedo cable and the speedometer.

12. psw

psw Formula 3

Nov 17, 2005
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Cummins certainly talk it up, I suspect it adds a nice extra earner for them.

13. boralogist

boralogist Formula Junior

Jun 21, 2005
    You are right.
    Forget about the GPS etc BS.

I have had the EZ PS on my Bora for several years now!
    It is, simply, a brilliant system.

You may wish to install a simple on/off switch under dash.
    No need to play w/the rheostat settings---when the mood strikes you/over 100 mph sustained highway driving just flip it off.
    I love having that option.

Congrats. Enjoy!

Nembo1777 likes this.
  14. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    It's just a klugy install on an Espada I guess. They kept futzing with it the 3 days I was around that car in a rally. There's precious little room under the dash on an Espada, nightmare actually. I'm doing the brake and clutch master cylinder overhaul now plus a lot of "while you're at it stuff too" like new bushings for the foot pedals and you have to pull the instrument panel out for that which means the steering wheel as well plus the windshield wiper assembly. Like I said nightmare ... LOL. The price paid for such a low slung automobile. I think they had the speed sensor box mounted on the engine side of firewall in the Espada. Not a happy place to do so because it's so crowded in that one spot.

I bet it fits much better on the Sebring.

15. psw

psw Formula 3

Nov 17, 2005
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I've just returned from my 2500km trip & the Sebring was a joy to drive, except in the tight curved corners at slower speeds... Ivan you are absolutely right about at lower speeds on curvy roads the EZ is too power assisted, just not enough feel for me, so the car is about to go back to the shop & re-instal the rheostat & also instal a toggle switch that enables one to turn off all assistance as you suggest here.

Nembo1777 and staatsof like this.
  16. psw

psw Formula 3

Nov 17, 2005
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Well I did as a couple of you suggested here & installed a toggle switch to turn the system off completely when I want, that was great advice thank you :)

boralogist likes this.
  17. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    I recently returned from a 1,600 mile trip and the toggle switch to turn off the power steering was used a lot. There are times when no power steering is better.

Ivan

psw likes this.