348 - Leonardo Diagnostic Tool | FerrariChat

348 Leonardo Diagnostic Tool

Discussion in '348/355' started by Ricky_rkt, Mar 31, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ricky_rkt

Ricky_rkt Rookie

Mar 30, 2021
    Madrid, Spain
    Hi Guys!,

More than happy to be part of this great family. I am the happy owner of a 991 GT3RS but one of my best friends has convinced me that it is time to buy the car of my dreams when I was in school... a beautiful 348!. Time to join the Ferrari family!.

My friend has different Ferrari (458 Spyder and 488) and he does every diagnostic with his Leonardo Diagnostic tool. I need your support because he just told me that he will need an specific cord to connect the OBD to a 2.7 348 (kind of a bridge). Do you know what cord is it?.

Thanks a a lot for your help!. I will post some pictures from the car as soon as I have it!. I tested 3 weeks ago with my friend and I loved it!.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. Ricky_rkt

Ricky_rkt Rookie

Mar 30, 2021
    Madrid, Spain
  3. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    It does look like the connectors should fit....

But, even if it did, the OBD1 diagnostic features on the 348 may not be supported by the Leonardo. What is it you are trying to do with the 348?

4. Ricky_rkt

Ricky_rkt Rookie

Mar 30, 2021
    Madrid, Spain
    My mechanic would like to check the overall status of the car and make sure it is perfect without any problems. He will do the major service and it is a great opportunity to check that everything is fine. He has the Leonardo diagnostic tool as it is the one he uses for the cars from other customers (458,488,430 etc.).

5. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    (I don't think it worked like that back then)

Motronic 2.5 348 owner here.

sjd

Ricky_rkt likes this.
  6. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Affirmative, no OBDII functionality until Motronic 5.2. SD1 used serial connections. SD2 and SD3 came with SD1 emulation modes, not sure about Leonardo. Even after 5.2, Ferrari still used serial connections for some functions.

Ricky_rkt likes this.
  7. Ricky_rkt

Ricky_rkt Rookie

Mar 30, 2021
    Madrid, Spain
    What is the best way to get some data from the ECU?. How do I know about possible errors?.
    Mine is a Motronic 2.7

8. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    There's a sequence you do and count flashes on the dash.

sjd

Ricky_rkt likes this.
  9. Ricky_rkt

Ricky_rkt Rookie

Mar 30, 2021
    Madrid, Spain
    I saw that on YouTube, is that the only way for the 348. No additional option?.

10. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    There is a factory diagnostic tool but only ever saw it at dealers. Even then it was used to do things like measure air for setting throttle air screws etc but you can do it externally as well its in the manual No such animal as the Leonardo for the 348. You can pull ecu codes but honestly if you have then the check engine light would be on assuming the bulbs are not burned out. Do a compression and/or leak down. Everything else is easy to diagnose and fix. good luck.

Ricky_rkt likes this.
  11. Ricky_rkt

Ricky_rkt Rookie

Mar 30, 2021
    Madrid, Spain
    Thanks a lot, I appreciate your help.