DomB’s Project Thread | FerrariChat

DomB’s Project Thread

Discussion in '348/355' started by Turblow, Apr 25, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Turblow

Turblow Rookie

Sep 17, 2020
    #1 Turblow, Apr 25, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2021
    Hey guys, so I bought this F355 about 6 of month ago from a guy in California and had it shipped here to South Florida. The car was in immaculate shape, but heard some noise that needed some attention. From what I understand, I would be the 4th owner (my buddy and I own a few cars we collect together so technically 4/5th owners) who is going to give some needed love to the transmission and new exhaust. The original exhaust muffler was modified with higher flow cats and Tubi headers. Installed the Kline exhaust with the remote and it’s amazing. The car is now in process of a full transmission/diff rebuild as the bearings needed replacement - people seem lazy and too dumb to change cheap fluids.... likely do preventative maintenance of other things while the engine is out. AC will likely be replaced with a new OEM unit.

I enjoy taking pics for this journey of the process with a new car and another one on the way too. Enjoy the thread!

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Attached Files:

Yassa, ShineKen and Jasonberkeley like this.
  2. Turblow

Turblow Rookie

Sep 17, 2020
  3. Jasonberkeley

Jasonberkeley Formula 3

Apr 23, 2017
    NW Corner, CT
    Full Name:
    Jason Berkeley
    jimmym and WATSON like this.
  4. 32 Ford

32 Ford Karting

Jan 31, 2021
    vancouver
    Full Name:
    Mike McGowan
    Nice work. All back together just in time for spring/summer cruising. Was it your buddy who did the work on your car? Was the issues you had a known factor when you purchased the car? I am sure your enjoying the new exhaust sound.

5. Turblow

Turblow Rookie

Sep 17, 2020
    Luckily @Dfmontaz has a guy down in south FL that is a master Ferrari mechanic and can do the transmission rebuild blindfolded. We purchased the car discounted down enough that figured some things may need to be addressed (like new AC compressor), but definitely didn’t intend for an engine drop. Probably for the best because my OCD would take over and likely drop it anyway. While it’s apart going to do a bunch of detail work so you can eat off the motor when it goes back in.

6. Turblow

Turblow Rookie

Sep 17, 2020
    LOL amazing

7. 32 Ford

32 Ford Karting

Jan 31, 2021
    vancouver
    Full Name:
    Mike McGowan
    I am still on the hunt for my 355. Being OCD about my car will probably have me taking it apart too. I found one locally (didn't buy it) and started thinking about what equipment I needed to get the engine out because it needed some major cleaning and touch up. If I can't pretty much eat off it it bothers me. All my current cars are spotless.

8. Turblow

Turblow Rookie

Sep 17, 2020
    I would say if you can find a clean one (no accidents and good documentation) around low $50s go for it - an engine pull and most expenses will put you around a solid entry price given a major service and addressing leaks etc. We got lucky on this example as it was Covid dump season when acquiring it.

9. bcar1

bcar1 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 2, 2017
    NYC/NJ
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Any info on what was going on w the transmission? Feel like a full tear down is pretty rare- would love some more photos!!

10. Turblow

Turblow Rookie

Sep 17, 2020
    There was a bearing related noise going on determined the diff likely since the noise continued even with the clutch pushed in. It became obvious a filter was not changed as it should during the major and some particle got a bearing. Luckily inspected and decided a full tear down to inspect every gear, diff, etc. as I rather do things the anal right way the first time. I can post some better pictures once the new bearings all arrive and stuff goes back together. It doesn’t seem to be too complicated or crazy to tear one down and get gears recoated (if needed) and polished. After 25 years I don’t mind inspecting every detail while the motors dropped.

11. Carmellini

Carmellini Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2019
    What filter are you referring to?

12. Turblow

Turblow Rookie

Sep 17, 2020
    This filter - the master Ferrari mechanic said he always services this during a major and leftover silicone sealer was on it (that’s not metal) and likely messed with the bad bearing. Definitely happy it was all broken down so it will be new and bullet proof as he said this is pretty rare occurrence from the 20+ years he’s worked on 355s.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. bcar1

bcar1 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 2, 2017
    NYC/NJ
    Full Name:
    Bob
    any noticeable wear on the synchros or just the bearings in the diff?

14. Carmellini

Carmellini Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2019
    ^^^^ Wow, what a mess. I had no idea about that filter.....Looked it up in the parts diagram and part number is 115538 and a the companion oil seal is part number 101034.

Turblow, is this accessible with engine in the car? Looking at the diagram and I can't get a feel for access?

15. Turblow

Turblow Rookie

Sep 17, 2020
    Fortunately the filter held on to the silicone and even though appeared one or two bearings we decided to replace them all so we didn’t have to come back. Then inspected synchros and all the other meat & potatoes with fortunately nothing else showing and wear or issues. We made sure if anything needed replacement (like the diff or gears) to get a new unit from Ferrari as that’s what the master mechanic advised. The primary symptom for the tear down was hearing a bearing at various speeds (even with the clutch pedal in) so it wasn’t too surprising that was the culprit since otherwise the shifting etc was all fine and the fluid was clean. The mechanic did advise that usually these transmissions/diff are bulletproof if maintained properly.

bcar1 likes this.
  16. Turblow

Turblow Rookie

Sep 17, 2020
    You can see the red filter on the back plate in the first picture. Second picture is the disaster inspection of ball bearings fun.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. Turblow

Turblow Rookie

Sep 17, 2020
    Definitely inspect that filter at some point because who knows what moron did the reseal and left some old silicone in there. Fortunately it was lodged and didn’t foul the filter so it kept most of the critical expensive parts safe.

Carmellini likes this.
  18. 32 Ford

32 Ford Karting

Jan 31, 2021
    vancouver
    Full Name:
    Mike McGowan
    Unfortunately the local one I looked at the dealer want top price$100K US. and no were near top condition. Tires were 15 years old, Fabspeed header had no shielding and cooked the motor mounts. Nose looked like it was curbed 20 times. That was just a quick 20 minute visual, so I passed. If he had wanted $60K- $65K I would have grabbed it, pulled it apart and sorted it out. So I am still looking.

19. Turblow

Turblow Rookie

Sep 17, 2020
    That makes me appreciate the deal we got even more as it seems prices have gotten ridiculous over the last 12 months. It’s definitely getting harder to find a clean example that is a reasonable price. There was a green one I spotted in the $40s but when seeing photos of the underside and looking over records that one even scared me.

20. 32 Ford

32 Ford Karting

Jan 31, 2021
    vancouver
    Full Name:
    Mike McGowan
    Just going to email a guy. He had one sitting for sale for a while now. Again I think asking to much. I will see if he's motivated to move down a bit.

21. phrogs

phrogs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Michigan

They always seem to be filled with excess silicon sealer.

taz355 likes this.
  22. Turblow

Turblow Rookie

Sep 17, 2020
    Yeah not totally sure how a moron did that as we all were wondering WTF when cracking it open. Just thankful the parts being replaced were minor and nothing major got harmed since we caught it all. I don’t want to think what would happen had we not opened it up.

23. Turblow

Turblow Rookie

Sep 17, 2020
    So it’s been a while due to delivery of OEM parts from Italy (thanks COVID) and the transmission is back together and installed. Next is refreshing the engine, new rubber like transmission mounts, and AC compressor/drier - all the cosmetics too. Internal checks says motor is all healthy. Making sure it’s all done right and should be enjoying 7 years of driving fun!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

JoeTSI and Carmellini like this.