Dowty Washer Sources | FerrariChat

Dowty Washer Sources

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by lkstaack, Apr 25, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. lkstaack

lkstaack Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2020
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Lars
    I'm surprised that no one seems to carry the dowty crush washers used for the transmission coolant lines on a 360. A pair of dowty washers are used for each banjo bolt and they should be replaced when replacing the heat exchanger. While it doesn't seem that Ferrari shops carry them, I see that they are readily available on e-bay and Amazon. However, I'm sceptical of the quality of those items. Can someone refer me to an online source of quality dowty washers?

For those wondering, I was recently educated that dowty washers have bonded rubber/plastic on the inner diameter of crush washers. They are commonly used for high-pressure hydraulics. I'm uncertain of the exact size I need, but I measured the diameter of a transmission banjo bolt at 16mm. So, I guess I need eight M16 dowty washers, right?

2. wmuno

wmuno Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 24, 2007
    Wilmette, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Bill Muno
    A fiber washer is a fiber washer. The kit on Amazon will work. Put a light coating of grease on the washer before using it.

3. vincep99

vincep99 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2009
    Sorry to disagree,m but I would not use a fiber washer. The purpose of the steel washer with rubber insert is that the steel limits the amount of crush that the rubber sees, so you get the correct axial sealing force.

Do your search for a USIT seal ring; you can get them in all sizes from Grainger for instance; I think Parker also has them

4. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
  5. lkstaack

lkstaack Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2020
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Lars
  6. Ferrari Tech

Ferrari Tech Formula 3

Mar 5, 2010
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Wade Williams
    The trans cooler line washers can be reused without issue as well.

brian.s likes this.
  7. lkstaack

lkstaack Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2020
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Lars
    My 360 parts manual shows the same dowty-style sealed washer for both ends of both trans cooler lines. I disconnected one cooler line to the transmission and discovered non-sealed washers. Is this typical? Would you be surprised if I found a non-sealed washers on the heat exchanger side? Can sealed washers be safely reused? Should the washers be annealed before reusing?

8. Ferrari Tech

Ferrari Tech Formula 3

Mar 5, 2010
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Wade Williams
    I have at times used copper on the cooler lines without issue. I always use new copper washers. I never anneal them and try again. They are cheap. I also keep them in stock so it is just faster to get a new one. The original ones are aluminum with the inner seal and those can be reused.

lkstaack likes this.
  9. afwrench

afwrench Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2004
    NY
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Anyone know the size of the oil drain washers for a 599?