488 spider purchase | FerrariChat

488 spider purchase

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by brake920w, Apr 26, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. brake920w

brake920w Rookie

Dec 4, 2018
    Full Name:
    rich p
    good morning almost pulled the trigger on this 488
    ZFF80AMA4K0238479 but the car fax made me nervous anyone know anything about this car thanks

2. Viperjoe

Viperjoe F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Post a copy of the carfax (if you have it and it's appropriate to do so).

3. brake920w

brake920w Rookie

Dec 4, 2018
    Full Name:
    rich p
    i don't know if thats against the rules I'm new here. But if you copy and paste the vin you will see the car and the carfax

4. brake920w

brake920w Rookie

Dec 4, 2018
    Full Name:
    rich p
    thanks carfax says one owner but the car was sold 3 times either the title has been all over the place or the car has i don't know. as hoping to get some opinions

5. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    Find another car

6. gstudent

gstudent Karting

Sep 12, 2006
    Westlake Village
    Full Name:
    Gene
  7. adamellisdj

adamellisdj Karting

Dec 15, 2020
    Full Name:
    Adam Ellis
    Wouldn’t ever personally buy a Ferrari from a none Ferrari dealer.

8. brake920w

brake920w Rookie

Dec 4, 2018
    Full Name:
    rich p
    Its at Ferrari of Fort Lauderdale

9. adamellisdj

adamellisdj Karting

Dec 15, 2020
    Full Name:
    Adam Ellis
    Then there is something fishy going on.

10. brake920w

brake920w Rookie

Dec 4, 2018
    Full Name:
    rich p
  11. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

I would just ask the F dealer to explain the car fax. There could be a plausible explanation or not. Best , Kirk.

docf likes this.
  12. brake920w

brake920w Rookie

Dec 4, 2018
    Full Name:
    rich p
    Yes when i brought up the carfax nobody tried to defend it i was hoping some one on here new the car. Thanks to everyone for there imput

13. docf

docf Formula 3

Sep 14, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary
    First-Ferrari of Lauderdale is reliable & trustworthy. Car Fax is often misleading! Ask Ferrari of North America via current Dealership it's service history as to dealership of services & if questionable ask Lauderdale for an explanation. I can't see that Lauderdale Management would allow this question to linger,risk losing a sale etc. I'm sure management would be only too glad to answer your question. If the car in question is the one you want as with any other, a PPI by an independant.

430jm likes this.
  14. brake920w

brake920w Rookie

Dec 4, 2018
    Full Name:
    rich p
    Im not questioning there integrity from my understanding this is a consignment car.Just wondering why the title went through so many states and if anyone new the car first hand.

15. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    i know sometimes dealers can take the car and register it somehow but not take actual title to it. My car is three owners but it shows title switching hands more than that but i obtained all the title records and it was just passed around to different dealers for a bit

docf likes this.
  16. brake920w

brake920w Rookie

Dec 4, 2018
    Full Name:
    rich p
    I know im probably being paranoid but it would be a major purchase for me and i don't want to make a mistake

17. Regular Guy 01

Regular Guy 01 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 10, 2011
    Tacoma, WA
    Full Name:
    Eugene Greer
    I get wanting to be careful and not making a mistake. When I bought my car I looked it over with a fine tooth comb and just stared at it for more than an hour. The sales person and dealership must have thought I was a real case...... When I purchase D/D cars, I even like to bring them home over night and wash them in the driveway to find any scratches and dings and get to know the car. Might sound stupid but it works for me.

What I learned in shopping for my F car is:
    1) Have a PPI done by a good shop that knows our cars and trust their judgement.
    2) Have a body shop that you trust look it over for any accident damage.
    3) Get paperwork on servicing so you know what has and hasn't been done. Any work done by shops could let you know of past problems.
    4) Multiple owners aren't always a bad thing as many people find ways to do things and reduce their ownership costs. Sometimes cars are bought by people in order to step up into a hard to buy model.
    5) Buying from a Ferrari dealership is usually better than not. Develop a relationship with them (even if they are miles away from you).They will do everything in their power to keep you happy and protect their reputation. An unhappy customer is never a good thing and word gets out quickly on the net.
    6) Have them work in a warrantee if possible just for piece of mind.

Bottom line, unless there is something obviously wrong with the car, don't discard it if it checks off all the boxes.

Just my $.02,
    GG

18. 458 Spider 0414

458 Spider 0414 Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 7, 2017
    MIAMI, FLORIDA
    Full Name:
    RAY
    That CarFax is all over the place......

19. Art138

Art138 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 22, 2007
    Ft. Lauderdale
    I know FFL well; they are not going to allow any mechanic into their shop to do third party inspections. Actually they are very reputable and have some of the best mechanics who service Ferraris every day. I don’t know of any Ferrari dealer which will allow a consignment vehicle leave their premises for another body shop to do due diligence. There are too many liability issues.I do agree that your recommendations are sound and advisable when possible.

430jm likes this.
  20. brake920w

brake920w Rookie

Dec 4, 2018
    Full Name:
    rich p
    Thanks guys for all your input i don't think it will happen as we are to far apart on the numbers. The sad part is it is optioned the way i want minus front suspension lift.

21. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    A Ferrari dealer that will not allow a third party to do a PPI is not shooting straight by default. I would NEVER deal with a dealer who had the audacity and arrogance to deny an unbiased opinion.

That to me is not a red flag of FoFL that right there is straight to black-ball.

OP find another car if the dealer will not let you PPI the car properly. A carfax is one thing, but not getting a proper PPI is just nuts.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

cool flash likes this.
  22. brake920w

brake920w Rookie

Dec 4, 2018
    Full Name:
    rich p
    Im not saying they wouldn't let me do a ppi i have not even spoke to them. I was dealing with the other location in n.y and everyone was very helpful never got that far as the numbers didn't match for my trade or the price of the 488. The n.y dealer was very upfront about the car and im sure if we got that far with numbers they would let me do a ppi.

23. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    I was referring to Art138's post suggesting that they would not allow someone to come in and do it, or take the car out for it.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

24. brake920w

brake920w Rookie

Dec 4, 2018
    Full Name:
    rich p
    yes i realized it after i posted my reply