308 GTS #26355 1978 model / 16k Original Miles - Purchased | Page 7 | FerrariChat

308 GTS #26355 1978 model / 16k Original Miles - Purchased

Discussion in '308/328' started by lm2504me, Dec 13, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. lm2504me

lm2504me Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Nipomo, CA
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Replaced 200 Air Correctors with 190 and Main Jets to 135. Run great and accelerates better above 3500 rpm. Fun!

2. lm2504me

lm2504me Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Nipomo, CA
    Full Name:
    Richard
    My task was to replace my air filter. I spent some time thinking of a method to do this by myself. I finally figured it out and replaced my air filter without removing my rear deck lid from the my 308. I work by myself on my 308, so I had to figure out a way to create more space above the air filter housing. I used a piece of wood which fits across the trunk area to support a box with a rubber mat on top of it to protect the lower part of the deck lid. I placed the box where it would allow me access to the bolts holding the forward part of the deck lid. I placed a blanket to prevent any damage to forward part of deck lid. I also used another smaller box to adjust the lift of the forward part of the deck lid and I also moved the deck lid rearward to prevent any damage. After replacement of the filter, it was a matter of moving the larger box, smaller box, and pushing deck lid forward to attach the deck lid to the hinge plates. Two phillip screwdrivers installed in the alignment holes were very helpful.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

cavallo_nero likes this.
  3. lm2504me

lm2504me Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Nipomo, CA
    Full Name:
    Richard
  4. lm2504me

lm2504me Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Nipomo, CA
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Started having idle speed going up and down and carbs popping, recently. I shot some starting fluid at the bottom of the carbs and had engine speed change. A local shop worked on my 308 a year ago. After their service, the vacuum hoses were connected to wrong items or not connected at all. I ended up fixing all of these when I got my 308 back. I noted the idle speed issues and popping a month ago. I also noted the wetness at the carb insulators. So, I removed the carbs, purchased some new insulator bases and gaskets. I plan to use Blue Hylomar to seal the carbs and gaskets. Once done, I will check if any ignition issues. I do have a spare distributor with points for front and rear bank. I set it with my SUN distributor tester. I plan to install this on my rear bank to keep the same centrifugal advance for both banks. I will run one of the point leads to the coil for the forward bank distributor.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Jbrauer likes this.
  5. lm2504me

lm2504me Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Nipomo, CA
    Full Name:
    Richard
    #155 lm2504me, Oct 23, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2020
    Setting up the install of my spare distributor in the rear bank to fire the rear and front bank. The forward distributor will just distribute the spark via the rear distributor. I am in the process of placing the crank at AF 7 for cylinder #1. I used my wifi endoscope to see the flywheel position as I turned the front crank pulley. I verified the intake cam was in the compression stroke. I also had previously marked my camshafts for Cylinder 1 in compression. I already tested my spare distributor on my SUN machine and it was within 1 degree for all 8 openings of the points. I ran it to 3000 distributor rpm with a good advance curve.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Attached Files:

6. lm2504me

lm2504me Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Nipomo, CA
    Full Name:
    Richard

Attached Files:

7. lm2504me

lm2504me Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Nipomo, CA
    Full Name:
    Richard
  8. lm2504me

lm2504me Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Nipomo, CA
    Full Name:
    Richard
    #158 lm2504me, Nov 7, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2020
    Too many misfires and and pulsing in the exhaust. My spark plug wires are too old and have multiple opens in the wires, off and on.
    So, time to replace them. I purchased Kingsborne spark plug wire with a copper wire core to replace the original noise suppressor type spark plug wires. I very rarely use the radio and cassette player. I prefer to hear the Weber’s since I installed a used airbox without the noise suppression. I purchased the terminals and coil terminal also. I have a spark plug wire “W” crimper to attach them. I am waiting on QV distributor rotors to arrive on Monday. I will then fire it up to set up the carbs.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Attached Files:

9. lm2504me

lm2504me Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Nipomo, CA
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Finally, completed a rebuild of my spare distributor. Replaced upper bearing (seal missing in some areas), cleaned and re-greased all items. Advance weights with Moly grease and ignition points with Bosch Distributor grease. Tested on Sun distributor tester and is good. I ended keeping the dual distributor set up. I relubed the rear distributor. Both distributors have matching advance curves. Took my wife to dinner in Arroyo Grande Village and it runs great and the engine responds to throttle pedal immediately.

Attached Files:

Jdubbya and Kidasters like this.
  10. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Been watching this with interest...

Congrats on a dinner date!\

The stock set up is robust if you can get it sorted and the pre tune is key

lm2504me likes this.
  11. lm2504me

lm2504me Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Nipomo, CA
    Full Name:
    Richard
    I finally modified a S159 distributor to fire both rear and front bank cylinders. I purchased two new base plates, short lead point set, long lead point set, and I created an aluminum plate to attach one of the points sets to achieve the 45 degree separation.
    I assembled the pieces and dialed in the 45 degree separation of points with my distributor tester. The advance curve meets the Ferrari specs.
    I replaced my rear bank distributor with my modified one. R1 used for rear bank coil and R2 for front bank coil. I set the R1 to 7 degrees BTDC on compression stroke. Checked with timing light and right on.
    308 started up immediately and engine ran smooth. After a drive to operating temperature the idle rpm went from 1000 to 1350.
    I will have to check the air flow / air mixture to lower it to 1000 - 1100. I turned down the idle screw all the way and it only went to 1235.
    It ran great on the road and highway. Accelerates better than previous.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. Kidasters

Kidasters Formula Junior

Oct 4, 2013
    Houston, Tx
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Just found this thread - so great.

Also - our cars were in the factory together. My assembly date is December 1978. VIN is about 500 after yours (not that that means anything).

13. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    You sure it's 500 and not 250 after his?

14. Kidasters

Kidasters Formula Junior

Oct 4, 2013
    Houston, Tx
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Pretty sure. 268XX

15. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    I misread your post.

You said VIN was 500 behind, (not implying that it was 500 cars behind on the line). I just glanced at your post

(Gotta divide by 2 to see how far behind your car was since they were only using odd numbers then.)

16. Kidasters

Kidasters Formula Junior

Oct 4, 2013
    Houston, Tx
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Ah - I see what you are saying. 250 makes sense knowing Ferrari's output at the time and the month between build dates.

Dr Tommy Cosgrove likes this.
  17. lm2504me

lm2504me Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Nipomo, CA
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Found out I used the wrong timing mark on the flywheel. Always check twice. I set the distributor to AF 7 PM1-4. I adjusted idle to 1050. Runs great!!

Kidasters likes this.
  18. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    Love watching the improvement journey unfold.

lm2504me likes this.
  19. lm2504me

lm2504me Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Nipomo, CA
    Full Name:
    Richard
  20. lm2504me

lm2504me Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Nipomo, CA
    Full Name:
    Richard
  21. lm2504me

lm2504me Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Nipomo, CA
    Full Name:
    Richard
    George Vosburgh likes this.
  22. lm2504me

lm2504me Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Nipomo, CA
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Jbrauer and Du_Man like this.
  23. ATSAaron

ATSAaron Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 1, 2004
    Shady Shores, TX
    Full Name:
    Aaron Bunch
    I'm jealous of the distributor machine. Wish I had one even though I have eliminated the need for it on all my cars.

24. lm2504me

lm2504me Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Nipomo, CA
    Full Name:
    Richard
    ShineKen and Jbrauer like this.
  25. Jbrauer

Jbrauer Karting

Oct 12, 2016
    Pasadena