Who never washes their Ferrari? | FerrariChat

Who never washes their Ferrari?

Discussion in 'Detailing & Showroom' started by Husker, Apr 25, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    I’ve had my 360 for a year now and it’s never been washed. Why not? It’s never been dirty. I don’t drive it when the pavement is wet, and if I happen to run over a small puddle of water, the mess is right around the wheel well and I carefully remove it when I return home with detail spray.

I did have paint correction and a ceramic coating last week. I asked the detailer how to get dust off the car, and he said “honestly if you drive it the dust will just fly off with the coating on the car. If you want, though, you can apply some detailer mist and just allow a high quality microfiber cloth to lightly run over the car.”

So is it ok to keep not washing my car?

Thecadster and Rosey like this.
  2. PA32Pilot

PA32Pilot Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 5, 2020
    Glendora, CA
    Full Name:
    Jamie Kirk
    Can’t remember the last time I’ve washed any of my cars. Usually use a spray detail and soft cloth once a week

EastMemphis and fabrica tabacos like this.
  3. 635CSI

635CSI F1 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    In a country where the roads can be muddy, dirty, dusty or wet.
    Yes, I wash my cars.
    I wouldn’t say I love it, but it feels proprietary and right.

4. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    I've had my 360 Spider 18 months and have yet to wash it with water. I use Prist aircraft window cleaner and microfiber towels to keep it clean.

The previous owner had the car ceramic coated so dirt literally falls off.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

marce likes this.
  5. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I have ceramic coatings on both my Ferraris and on my wife's Panamera, but we drive them all the time in any weather. There is no freaking way I cannot wash them.

The idea that "if you drive it the dust will just fly off" is salesperson BS. ;)

James R, Solid State, AD211 and 6 others like this.
  6. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    As we live in a small village in the country side with a farm at the centre, the days I can take any car out and not have to wash the dust/ mud, horse/ cow pooh etc etc off I can probably count on one hand!

The 355 is sat in the garage at the moment, patiently waiting a wash/ clean following 250 odd miles of collecting Welsh bugs, road grim, dust etc yesterday!!!

7. vdm9

vdm9 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 11, 2014
    long island new york
    Full Name:
    vasilios
    I never never never wash my cars........

I have my detailer do it for me!!!
    Ha. But seriously, even the detail spray with microfiber can mar and scratch the surface. Foam cannon and air dryers minimize touch/scratch. And they 'RECHARGE" the coating with the proper chemicals. Makes her paint really POP.
    I let the pros do it so I just have to enjoy them...

vdm

8. kryten2001

kryten2001 Formula 3

My cars, all the time without hesitation. The motorcycles not so much.

AD211 likes this.
  9. Graz

Graz Formula 3

Oct 15, 2012
    New Jersey and Florida
    Full Name:
    Graziano
    All the time. Its therapy for both myself and the car

10. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Car is covered in PPF from front to back, except rear boot. If the weather is nice enough to clean the car, it's nice enough to drive. And, I'd rather drive it than clean it! Of course, I check for bird poop and bug splatter, and those get removed ASAP. Once or so a year, I'll book it in for a spa day at Boardwalk Ferrari...T

11. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I hope you don't order that hot stone massage for the Cali! :D

tomc likes this.
  12. Redneck Slim

Redneck Slim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Palo Alto,CA,USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Kimball
  13. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    I have been accused of never washing.

donkost likes this.
  14. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    3M wrapped: takes me about 5 minutes total to wipe with Griot's car duster then Chemical Guys wrap spray with a microfiber cloth (or non-ammonia Windex). Easy.

15. Borrow’d Mine

Borrow’d Mine Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 28, 2019
    Florida
    Full PPF and ceramic - still wash it - but it’s so easy. I didn’t wash it first six months or so but honestly it’s better washed.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

16. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    I think I washed my 308 maybe twice in 12 years. And that was after long weekend road trips or after having driven it in the rain. I generally just dusted it with a duster then use detail spray.

Doing the same with my Maserati. Haven't washed it yet, just dust off and detail spray and wipe down.

17. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    What color is your F car? I think darker colors, especially black, require more attention to detail to look their best...T

perrinnation likes this.
  18. DreamCarrera

DreamCarrera Formula Junior

Oct 25, 2006
    S.E. PA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Trust me, you will eventually need to wash the car. The "take it for a spin to clean it" routine will not last for long...if we could all be so lucky.

Using detail spray to clean the car is still "washing" the car. Sure, you can argue that it's a matter of semantics but you are indeed washing the car when you use a detail spray to clean your car. It may not be the old garden hose and bucket routine but it is a genuine means of washing the car.

You haven't washed the car in 19 yrs? How is that possible??? It must look really, really bad.

BTW, this is a genuine question as I really hate washing my cars...please let me in on your secrets. PM me if you don't want to reveal your secrets to the world.

19. bball16

bball16 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 2, 2011
    NY LI FtL
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I’m one of those nuts that actually enjoys washing my ceramic and Clear wrapped cars. Nothing nicer on a spring Sunday to put all the cars out on the driveway and wash them.

20. Redneck Slim

Redneck Slim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Palo Alto,CA,USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Kimball
    It is a fair-weather car,garaged,never driven in rain,never driven with the top up. After each weekend's use ,I clean it with Griot's blue detailer. It looks new.

DreamCarrera likes this.
  21. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    You obviously don't live in a dry climate. ;)

Where I live, we only get 18-20 inches of precipitation per year, and the Ferrari isn't driven in any of that. Without some sort of moisture on the car, really it would only get a bit dusty. This is my fourth Ferrari and I've never "washed" any of them in the traditional sense. I've just used detailer. But that was actually my original question. Is it OK to do it this way. I thought the detailer guys could weigh in.

DreamCarrera likes this.
  22. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    Do you use the aircraft window cleaner on the whole car, sort of like a detail mist? Or are you just referring to the glass?

23. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    Whole car, including glass...

24. DreamCarrera

Oct 25, 2006
    S.E. PA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I think you're probably okay just using a quality detailer spray. Assuming the car is only slightly dirty and you use liberal amounts of spray and high-quality microfiber towels, otherwise, you may just be making de facto sandpaper and marring the surface of the paint. This is why I typically like to prerinse all of my expensive cars even if I'm just using detail spray. Have you noticed any swirl marks or other paint marring to any of your Ferraris using this wash method?

You're right, I don't live in a dry climate and my cars seem to get pretty dirty even after a few drives on fair weather days. I can't bring myself to simply using a detail spray to clean my cars after even one or two sunny day drives -- too afraid of the possibilities of swirl marks. I usually end up doing a traditional wash or a quick rinse followed by washing the car with Optimum No Rinse. I really wish I could just use detail sprays and be done with it as I really HATE washing cars.

EnzoItaly likes this.
  25. DreamCarrera

Oct 25, 2006
    S.E. PA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Any swirl marks or other paint marring using this cleaning method?