812 VS Rumors | Page 286 | FerrariChat

812 VS Rumors

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by Frenzisko, Feb 10, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mthompson2376

mthompson2376 Formula Junior

Feb 2, 2017
    North East England
    Full Name:
    Mark Thompson
    Ingegnere...? My view, your sketch is right, wouldn’t these vents as per your diagram increase the velocity of flow beneath the rear spoiler by bleeding air from a turbulent external zone (which would also clean the side external flow at the rear, reducing drag) creating a zone of lower pressure below the spoiler ? This adding to effectiveness of the spoiler and producing increase in downforce (minimal). In addition there maybe some carefully located winglets in the channel of flow (maybe). This effect would be minor but enough of a claim for Ferrari to claim the aesthetic need.

Also those turning (VG)vanes on the rear deck would focus air through a vortex on the spoiler in the zone above the wheel arch outlet.

Seems like Ferrari have worked really hard to focus any downforce gain on this area in that location of the wing, which is as close the rear wheel as they will get... the most efficient place to produce downforce is as close the wheel as possible.

What do we think ?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

ingegnere likes this.
  2. mthompson2376

mthompson2376 Formula Junior

Feb 2, 2017
    North East England
    Full Name:
    Mark Thompson
    Actually taking a second closer look, definitely winglets in the air channel, a simple way of getting downforce near the rear wheel whilst cleaning up air flow at the rear reducing drag and with a minimal contribution to the effectiveness of the rear spoiler....looks obvious when you see it....

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Caeruleus11, MDEL and ingegnere like this.
  3. perrinnation

perrinnation Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2012
    The Detroit area
    Full Name:
    David
    The image seems to be skewed in Photoshop or something. The nose is far too blunted and bulbous.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

4. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    Weight has a very profound effect on how a car feels to drive.

5. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    The 348 is featherweight, compared to the F8, yet it is a dog to drive, comparatively. One of the lightest cars ever, the Elise, is a major disappointment.

6. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    I presume the 812 VS diffuser puts efficiency above all other aspects because it resembles the diffusers installed in race cars like the Nissan GT-R Nismo.

mclaren slr likes this.
  7. Garretto

Garretto F1 Rookie

Sep 3, 2003
    Bilbao, Spain
    Full Name:
    Rodolfo Di Pietro
    Agreed, a number of the aero solutions provide a marginal contribution to overall downforce, if any at all, yet they are marketed as serious improvements. I.e. the F12b front hood bridge, the F12tdf triple rear vents over rear wheel arch, also the ones you mention...

This is a point I regulary try to bring up. Anyway not an issue, I'm mostly happy with the designs, it's just funny to me that they create a cool visual feature and they always try to justify/market it as an important aero development.

8. Garretto

Garretto F1 Rookie

Sep 3, 2003
    Bilbao, Spain
    Full Name:
    Rodolfo Di Pietro
    #7133 Garretto, Apr 26, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2021
    Sounds like you're trying to make a point that the weight is not important, even almost meaning that light is bad. The 348 might be a dog to drive but I'm sure that's not due to the lower weight. In fact it's probably overweight for it's power. Again, the Elise you find disappointing, is that because of its low weight? Don't think so.

That said, those are my opinions and I've driven none of the above, I'm happy to be corrected.

plastique999 likes this.
  9. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Thank you for the explanation because my impression was that the louvers on the rear of the 812 VS back wheel fenders function was to reduce the pressure inside the wheel well but I understand they are there eventually to reduce turbulence reintroducing the dirty air as smoothly as possible into the smooth air around the car.
    What puzzles me is the following. The TDF has louvers (B) on the top of the back wheel fenders and the 812 SF and the F12 also have vents for that purpose. I presume their aerodynamic function is to avoid that a positive pressure builds inside the wheel well pushing up on the fenders, which at high speed, can begin to lift the car slightly causing loss of traction and control.
    By looking at the pictures of the 812 VS I can't see any louvers or vents on the rear fenders apart from the ones (A) and I wonder how the wheel well is depressurized. Is the excess pressure released through the two rear exiting tunnels directly from the rear wheel wells?

plastique999 and ingegnere like this.
  10. jtremlett

jtremlett F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    Ha! Exactly right, Rodolfo. They make a big noise then the next car comes along and the feature is gone never to be heard of again.

When the 458 came out the marketing noise was about the fins in the front (which were gone for the Speciale, of course). A friend put his 458 in the wind tunnel and told me the fins made no difference at all!

cesman, ingegnere and Garretto like this.
  11. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Jerry, the Ingegnere on post 7121 explains the purpose of these openings in the rear of the 812 VS. Because you've mentioned that the large dark area on the rear of the 812 VS is where the plate number will go, below is a picture of how it might look.

Caeruleus11, of2worlds and pcht5 like this.
  12. Garretto

Garretto F1 Rookie

Sep 3, 2003
    Bilbao, Spain
    Full Name:
    Rodolfo Di Pietro
    Linking to what I wrote just before, puzzle no more, IMO the aerodynamic efficiency of all those vents is not actually that important, more styling than function. I believe that's why they change them at will. Probably the depressurization of the wheel well is not really an issue, there your answer.

BTW the F12b has no vents, has it? The ones in the rear deck are connected to the wheel well? I never thought so.

13. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    The F12B has vents to extract the air from the back wheel well and I can understand their purpose mainly at very high speed.

of2worlds and ingegnere like this.
  14. F140C

F140C Formula 3

Nov 25, 2016
    Piedmont
    Full Name:
    Marco
    I think most of this aero talk depends on the context. Cruising at 30 kmh around Monaco? Won't make any difference at all. Rushing at 300+ on the autobahn? It will help.

15. Garretto

Garretto F1 Rookie

Sep 3, 2003
    Bilbao, Spain
    Full Name:
    Rodolfo Di Pietro
    Exactly the vents I mean, are they actually connected to the wheel wells that far back and inboard?

16. Garretto

Garretto F1 Rookie

Sep 3, 2003
    Bilbao, Spain
    Full Name:
    Rodolfo Di Pietro
    THe c
    The context of aero is always high speed. At low speeds there's little to discuss regarding aero.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  17. F140C

F140C Formula 3

Nov 25, 2016
    Piedmont
    Full Name:
    Marco
    Exactly. I think there's a reason behind every Ferrari aero device that guarantees its purpose in a high-speed context. Every little single vent, fin or opening will play its role.. together will all the rest, but I'm not really an expert when it comes down to aerodynamics, so I'll simply trust what they have to say about them.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  18. Garretto

Garretto F1 Rookie

Sep 3, 2003
    Bilbao, Spain
    Full Name:
    Rodolfo Di Pietro
    Well my point is exactly the opposite, NOT every single aero device has a role to play, or the importance some of them is bloated to the point that you could suppress it and nothing would actually change. See I'm talking relative here, not all the aero features, but some of them. Not that they do nothing, but they do very, very little.

19. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario

20. Maximus1977

Maximus1977 Formula Junior

Feb 13, 2016
    I can attest to the fact that the 812SF felt much more planted at 200mph+ than the F12....

Veloce12, Ltfor3, Claudia65 and 3 others like this.
  21. JagShergill

JagShergill Formula 3

Dec 31, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Jag shergill
    Good man !!

of2worlds and ingegnere like this.
  22. TAM340R

TAM340R Karting

Jul 26, 2015
    conc the Elise I am quite surprised,,,,, may I ask the reasons ?
    I believe that the Elise is a fantastic car and even with the weakest engine a pure joy to drive on Road and on track ...

Pls give me , us, your point of view

tam

23. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    We clearly like different things because I think the Elise and Exige are brilliant to drive. Sorry but to me the dynamics of a 1700 kg car are very different to a 1550kg car.

I'd rather this VS had the standard 812 engine but lost 200 kg.....

Claudia65 and plastique999 like this.
  24. AEHaas

AEHaas Formula 3

May 9, 2003
    Osprey, Florida
    Full Name:
    Ali E. Haas
    I think that the 812VS has a lot in common with the 250 GTO of the sixties. Perhaps more than other cars since then. So I am going to stick with the 812 GTO name for May 5th.