Is the Coupe/Spyder Cambiocorsa that bad (maintenance aside)? | FerrariChat

Is the Coupe/Spyder Cambiocorsa that bad (maintenance aside)?

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by ibesuc, Apr 24, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ibesuc

ibesuc Formula Junior

Jun 16, 2009
    NY
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Many reviews, including Doug Demuro make the Cambiocorsa transmission out to be the worst saying "DO NOT BUY IT" - is it really that bad? I've watched driving videos of them and while they certainly aren't F430 F1 or dual clutch level they just don't seem to be as bad as they've been made to to be. I'm sure you feel the shifts while driving but perhaps it is the traffic/town driving where it is most rough?

I presume either 355 or 360 F1 drivers could chime in here as well (not sure which Ferrari the Maz's transmission is most alike, 355 or 360).

Any realistic reviews from owners/drivers would be helpful! Bottom line is $20k for a Spyder Cambiocorsa is an appealing buy.

Nembo1777 and F456M like this.
  2. flat_plane_eddie

flat_plane_eddie F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    I didn't have a Cambiocorsa but the regular six speed manual so my experience is limited. I believe the GranSport improved the software as that one has pretty good reviews on this site and it's the only F1 I'd consider from Maserati. I was surprised to see so many people here that daily drove the GranSport for 30-40k miles with no problems and on the same clutch.

There's some things you can do to improve reliability like flushing the F1 fluid every 2-3 years, changing the relay from a 25 to a 50 amp version and of course driving habits (engaging the throttle fully and not riding the clutch).

Although I do miss my manual Coupe sometimes as it was such a great value, just be prepared to spend at least $1,000 on almost all repairs on a car that's worth $15,000 to $20k. Changing the clutch isn't cheap either as you probably know. I ultimately sold mine to get a 355 as I don't have the garage space. If you can swing it, I'd say go for a GranSport version. I believe the 2005 90th Anniversary Spyder variant had updated clutch software so that's worth considering too.

3. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    Your 1st mistake is putting any credence into Doug DeMuro’s opinion on anything.

Atlanta355, wax, Husker and 4 others like this.
  4. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    The PIZ point can and shall be adjusted electronically so the clutch engage early. Mine had not been adjusted and the clutch started to engage (release) at 1500 rpm. which way to high. My M3 SMG engaged at the slightest touch of the throttle and it was smooth as silk also in city driving. Formula Dynamics has a Transmission Control Unit that you can add as a black box, and it will do all the shifteing right and faster. In my opinion the hardware is first class, but the software is bad because it try to make it shift smooth as a real oil pan automatic.

5. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    If it was OK for Ferrari at the time then why was it so reviled for Maserati? Answer ... the targeted market place for the two cars was very different. They tried to have an automatic mode for the customers with at least one driver that did not want to operate the flappy paddles. That did not work and yes operating it in that mode is disastrous very quickly. If you know how to operate it it's OK not great but OK.
    It's also why Maserati eventually put the 6spd automatic in the QP5s. So get the upgrades you can find (listed here) and pick one that's been freshly serviced. Apparently heater cores are a SOB to get serviced too.

Visit Maseratideath.com They cover these models far more thoroughly. Some substitution required ... ;)

There's already a great thread here about the GranSport started by the website's creator who owned and loved one for many years. I suggest you begin there.

MrMark likes this.
  6. B R

B R F1 Rookie

Aug 31, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    B R
    If it's so bad, then why do I like driving mine so much? Guess I don't know anything about cars, and I'm not a YT star..

Nembo1777 and F456M like this.
  7. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    The power and agility is absolutely top notch. After driving my Coupe Cambiocorsa for 1/2 year, I went into my 550 and I must say the Maserati is much faster and more fun to run. But when you pass 240 kph., the Maserati doesn’t have a chance to the 5,5 liter V12. They are just very different. But in everyday life, I prefer the Maserati (at 1/5 of the price!).

Nembo1777 likes this.
  8. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    who is "Doug DeMuro"? Am I supposed to know him?

9. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Not unless you watch a lot of Youtube about what he thinks of cars. The concept is OK he's just not that knowledgeable to begin with though I bet he is learning. He's kind of meh. The opposite of Jay Leno on cars.