360 - Oil in Manifold | FerrariChat

360 Oil in Manifold

Discussion in '360/430' started by lkstaack, Apr 23, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. lkstaack

lkstaack Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2020
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Lars
    I removed an air flow meter on my recently purchased 2002 360 Spider and noticed a shallow pool of oil inside the manifold. What's the conventional wisdom; pull the intake cover and mop up the oil, or let sleeping dogs lie?

2. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    I had some of this on a perfectly running 360 when I changed intake gaskets.

I would verify level is not overfilled.

3. Jb-Slow

Jb-Slow Karting

May 11, 2020
    It's from overfilling the oil, there was a ton sitting in the intake manifold when I took mine off. Check you oil level when it's hot and see where it's at. I would take a throttle body off and take a peek inside with a mirror to see if there's any oil puddles in the manifold.

4. lkstaack

lkstaack Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2020
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Lars
    Yes, I understand that oil in the intake manifold a common result of overfilling. I also understand that oil volume increases substantially when hot and that the the low and high markings on a 360 dipstick is less than a quart. Yes, the oil was slightly overfull when hot, but it has since been drained.

So, my original question remains: should I go through the trouble of removing residual standing oil, or leave it for another day when the intake manifold cover must come off.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    How about this ..put car on incline and then vacuum out oil since it will pool at the front edge

Just thought of that .. that would be easier than taking out plenum

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

lkstaack likes this.
  6. lkstaack

lkstaack Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2020
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Lars
    That sounds easy, so worth a try. I'll let you know how it turns out next week.

7. Jb-Slow

Jb-Slow Karting

May 11, 2020
    I don't think it will hurt anything leaving it in there. It would however hurt me mentally knowing it's in there and not getting it out.

f355spider likes this.
  8. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    I'd be more concerned with the throttle bodies and MAFs.

9. lkstaack

lkstaack Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2020
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Lars
    I'm not certain why; please explain.

The MAFs are upstream of the disareator and the vacuum lines that run to the intake manifold. The throttle bodies likely passed through oil from the disareator when the engine was overfilled. Would that harm them?

10. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    The oil from the overflow goes both directions and contaminates the sensor in the MAF. There's no cleaning it. The throttle bodies can ingest the oil and it can seep past the butterfly shaft, contaminating the innards of the TB and ruining the very sensitive potentiometers.

So be sure to carefully clean the throat of your TB's as they can and will fail from oil contamination. If the oil has already gotten past the shaft, then no cleaning is going to change the fact that your pots are ruined.

11. lkstaack

lkstaack Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2020
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Lars
    OK, I don't recall reading experiences of anyone removing the plenum cover on a Spider. Have you done so? Is it straight forward, or are there hidden bolts and linkage to contend with?

Sent from my SM-G781U using FerrariChat.com mobile app

12. lkstaack

lkstaack Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2020
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Lars
    OK, I'm being stupid again. I had it in my head that there were eight individual throttle bodies under the plenum cover, and not one for each bank.

13. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    The throttle body is between the MAF tube and the plenum. There's one on each side and they are both the same part number. Unfortunately, to clean the throttle body throat, the MAF has to be removed and it's attached to the throttle body by a no-longer-available 90.5mm ear clamp. Break it and you're using silly looking hose clamp. The ear clamps are a one time use unless you carefully prise apart the crimped ear with something like an awl. You'll need a $15 ear clamp plier to crimp it again.

The throttle bodies are circled in red in this picture.

14. BrettC

BrettC Formula 3

Aug 13, 2012
    Calif
    Full Name:
    Brett
    I changed both my MAF's by doing just that. Carefully prise up the latch on the clamp just barely and you can remove the MAF, Then access the throttle body. Good luck, I guess I am blessed that no one overfilled my car (that I know of anyway) before my ownership.

EastMemphis likes this.
  15. lkstaack

lkstaack Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2020
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Lars
    To hell with ear clamps; W4 worm gear clamps may not look as Purdy, but they do the job and you don't have to stop and wonder if the job is worth the effort required to pry up those little tabs and lock it back in place.

16. lkstaack

lkstaack Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2020
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Lars
    So I lifted the front higher than the rear and gave it a day. I don't know if any oil drained down because it didn't look like any more. I reduced my 1 7/8" hose down to a 5/8" tube and sucked all the oil out. There was only a few tablespoons of oil; not enough to even make it to the vacuum head. A review of former owner maintenance records showed that a mechanic noted oil in the intake four years ago.

17. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    I’m convinced oil artiates and will accumulate in the plenum even w correct oil level,

my buddy has a catch cat setup in his 360 and he drains oil from the catch can,

18. wbt

wbt Karting

Nov 28, 2014
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Wayne
    Clever idea, those hoses are very accessible for such a device.

19. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Pardon mis-spell typing on glass...

20. Jb-Slow

Jb-Slow Karting

May 11, 2020
    #20 Jb-Slow, May 2, 2021
    Last edited: May 2, 2021
    When I did mine there was oil front to back, left and right side. I don't think you can get all the oil to run to the front due to the shape of the intake runners, there's lots of low spots that hold oil in there. It really sucks but I bet you have quite a bit more still in there. You can see some of the oil puddles in mine, the areas with red dots are where it pooled up.

21. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    Ok, so there's oil in the intake plenum. So what? What harm can it cause?

one4torque likes this.
  22. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    I bet you could vac that oil out... then properly fill the oil for 5k miles.... then pull upper intake and see oil in the intake.

I suspect the upper plenum acts as an oil collector of sorts.

67bmer likes this.
  23. sparetireless

sparetireless Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    Its normal, leave it and drive it.

24. Pat4orza

Pat4orza Rookie

Jun 26, 2022
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Pat ciarmoli
    Hi all
    So is it safe to say this is not a major issue that may cost alot?

one4torque likes this.
  25. 67bmer

67bmer Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 28, 2015
    MD
    It would be interesting to hear from a Ferrari mechanic about how common this is!

I suspect it's normal and unavoidable. Crankcase ventilation goes right into the intake plenum housing. Any droplets that do not get sucked into the cylinders will fall out and accumulate there.