Testarossa VS Testarossa 512 TR | FerrariChat

Testarossa VS Testarossa 512 TR

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by oo7ml, Apr 20, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. oo7ml

oo7ml Karting

Dec 4, 2018
    Dublin, Ireland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Hi there,

As per the title, I’d like to learn more about the differences between the 2 cars in terms of driving experience.

I found a great article on the forum which covers the technical differences, but very curious to know if they drive very differently?

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/testarossa-to-512tr-differences.307199/

I adore my Testarossa, but being a realist, I would not say it is technically the best drive (heavy and clunky) BUT it does deliver a great experience (lots of feel good smiles).

Chris Harris seems to be posting a lot of content lately about how much he loves his 512 TR. I am surprised to hear him say that, as he usually chooses a car more on it’s technical driving merit VS experience.

Has anyone driven both here? Is there a noticeable difference when driving both?

2. Zeff

Zeff Formula Junior

Oct 8, 2018
    Cupertino, Ca
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    If you already have a tr I would not recommend moving to buy a 512tr. I have not driven the tr but I really don’t think it would warrant selling and then buying a 512tr. If you have a good car I would just keep it. The tr is a special car as it is.

MOSS and oo7ml like this.
  3. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    hmmm the tr is to the 512tr as Jos Verstappen is to Max Verstappen.

everything that was not right on the tr was rectified on the 512tr, and everything that was right on the tr was made even better on the 512tr.

two different cars despite looking very similar.

4. JohnMH

JohnMH Formula 3

Jan 28, 2004
    Dubai / Bologna
    I have a good friend with a 92 512TR; I have a 91 Swiss spec TR. Sometimes we swap cars for a few minutes on the way to breakfast.

With 30 year old cars, the condition counts for more than any differences when new (they both feel old compared to any new car).

My TR seems to have more low RPM torque and shifts more sweetly (I have spend a lot of time aligning the shift linkage) but has a softer, more 'flexible' feel in corners - possibly the 2 part frame and a higher centre of gravity, but I wonder what 30 years and 60,000 km have done to my shock springs (my Konis are recently rebuilt).

The 512's clutch is stiffer, its seats are better for sporty driving and has better climate control. It also starts from cold better, has more high rpm power (but less low rpm power), has better brakes, crisper steering and all around better handling (less lean in corners).

For all practical purposes, in 95% of driving they are pretty identical and the differences are subtle; the handling differences are greater than the engine differences. I also have a carbed 78 BB512 with a fresh engine, with 1mm over high compression pistons and its low to mid roll on acceleration is better than either TR.

oo7ml and turbo-joe like this.
  5. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Guess I'm now old but I've owned four or five Testarossas ranging from 1987 to 1989 and one 512TR from 1994 - most bought new.

While I loved the Testarossa, I much preferred the 512TR. Better everything all around. Only negative to the 512TR is at 6'3 I didn't fit very well. Seats pushed me up and forward and my right knee hit the gear shift

6. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    I put brand new 512 wheels on my 90 Tr with 13k miles and that is the only thing that really matters to me. The Tr fits
    me better than the 512. Just go see for yourself. Opinions matter little, its what you think that counts. Best of luck!

Zeff likes this.
  7. Jonkheer

Jonkheer Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Christiaan
    Everyone knows that the 512TR is technically the better car.
    That said, I choose the Testarossa over the 512TR.
    Why? I like it better because it was my childhood dreamcar.
    Buy what you like the most and buy the best money can buy of the series you choose.
    And most important, ENJOY every minute of the ownership :D

Rensen, Mikeroch, Veedub00 and 5 others like this.
  8. fridolin_pt

fridolin_pt Karting

Mar 25, 2008
    Germany NRW
    Full Name:
    Fritz
    Can you give me the dimensions of the spacers you used? I want to do the same.

9. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    Post a thread on spacers and member will sell you a set on this board.

10. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
  11. fridolin_pt

fridolin_pt Karting

Mar 25, 2008
    Germany NRW
    Full Name:
    Fritz
    Thank you, I know. I have an offer. But as I am based in Europe sending from USA is not first choice. So it would just be helpful to give me the dimensions so I can check what is more reasonable: Buy in Europe or use the US source.

12. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    remember that in germany you may use only approved spacers otherwise it will be illegal ( TÜV ) or find someone at the TÜV who will write this into the papers. meanwhile hard to find such guys :(

fridolin_pt likes this.
  13. fridolin_pt

fridolin_pt Karting

Mar 25, 2008
    Germany NRW
    Full Name:
    Fritz
    Typgutachten

turbo-joe likes this.
  14. EZORED

EZORED Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 24, 2007
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    I had never seen this video, very entertaining !

oo7ml likes this.
  15. fridolin_pt

fridolin_pt Karting

Mar 25, 2008
    Germany NRW
    Full Name:
    Fritz
    Still the dimension of the spacers seem to be a well kept secret

kuwait355 and turbo-joe like this.
  16. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    You REALLY don’t want to put spacers on your car. Geometry issues, torque issues, bearing loads etc. There are good reasons why it is illegal.

turbo-joe likes this.
  17. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    #17 MOSS, Apr 26, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2021
    A half inch spacer with the approved length bolts is absolutely harmless and has no effect on the geometry. No more than running a wider
    tire would. Its a half inch, Lol :rolleyes: Especially if the offset of the wheel comes back towards the car 1/2 inch. I know we all have our opinions about things and I respect others. I try not to be so absolute about
    things of this nature but others that do this could be scared away from a great addition that is totally harmless. Larger offsets start doing what you are saying but not 1/2 inch.

18. fridolin_pt

fridolin_pt Karting

Mar 25, 2008
    Germany NRW
    Full Name:
    Fritz
    The offset of the TR wheels requires a bit more space in the inside. We are not talking about wheels sticking out.

19. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    The spacers are the same I think.

20. dgt

dgt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2011
    Northeast, USA & Oz
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I drove both on test drives and bought a 512TR however I'd say the maintenance on all of them wasn't great so that may have been a factor.
    One thing that was stood out was the braking, things can always be improved with high quality pads but the lower profile tires and seemingly more powerful brakes on the 512TR did give me better confidence.
    Both cars got up to speed very quickly but pointing and stopping power was the deciding factor for me, loads of other improvements like Bosch Motronic management are all good things too.

There was an fun vid Chris 'arris did in the south of France which convinced me to get one.... I don't plan on selling it either.

21. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    Motech is a nice upgrade for the TR. Puts all the horsepower there as well. My twin turbo had it.

22. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    The offset looks perfect as you can see. Its a non issue and an awesome upgrade plus it handles and rides much better. It is very common and several sell the wheels and spacers. Perfectly safe. Never heard of a country mandating spacer types or policing the matter, Lol. Not moving to Germany.

23. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    #23 vincenzo, Apr 28, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2021
    More info for your consideration.

Wheels need to be re-torqued on occasion. At a minimum, at least once after remounting plus 50 miles or so. With spacers, you must dismount the wheel to do that check on the spacer. Then, remount the wheels, and again re-torque them after another 50 or so miles. People typically don’t do that. Spacers get loose.

Spacers typically affect scrub radius. Depending on the particular details... adverse effects may result.
    https://www.carthrottle.com/post/what-is-scrub-radius-and-why-is-it-important/
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

“Especially if the offset of the wheel comes back towards the car 1/2 inch”. If this is true for your particular application, scrub radius should be unchanged and not an issue.

Spacers typically add length to the lever arm which transfers load from wheel to bearings. Higher bearing loads typically result. Again, if the wheel offset negates the spacer additional length, overall, it is a non-issue.

turbo-joe likes this.
  24. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    you are right but only if the spacers have separate bolts. spacers up to 10 or 15 mm needs only longer bolts to fix the wheels and the spacers at the same time

vincenzo likes this.
  25. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    Agree but very minor indeed in the real time. Nice drawing.