B-17 Aluminum Overcast grounded | FerrariChat

B-17 Aluminum Overcast grounded

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by GrigioGuy, Apr 22, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    From EAA April 22, 2021 – As part of a routine preflight inspection of the B-17 Aluminum Overcast in Florida last week, our tour teams discovered a fitting inside the wing that showed signs of fatigue. Following safety protocols, the airplane was grounded for a full inspection that determined that replacing the part was necessary. The on-site tour teams did an outstanding job of finding and correctly assessing the situation with safety as the first priority.

Because of that, EAA's B-17 national tour is on hiatus for the time being. The airplane will remain in Florida at this time until a repair schedule is finalized. We do not currently have a final timeline for those repairs, but will keep everyone updated as additional information becomes available via the B17.org website and other channels.

Refunds are being made available for all pre-booked passengers for tour stops and for EAA AirVenture Oshkosh flights. We apologize for any inconvenience and appreciate the outpouring of support for EAA and our aircraft tour operations.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

NürScud and Manda racing like this.
  2. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    meaning there was either an easily visible crack or the part had already failed

thecarreaper likes this.
  3. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Interesting to know where "inside the wing" might be. All of the ribs are formed of riveted aluminum tubing trusses. Spars are constructed of heavy square aluminum tubing trusses bolted and riveted with plate gussets. Upper and lower spar chord terminals are bolted and taper-pinned aluminum plates and clevis fittings, there is a shear fitting between the upper and lower spars in the crossover truss in the fuselage that is also bolted plate. If the failure is in a spar chord tube ,it will be difficult to repair . I don't recall any forged fittings anywhere in the wing.

kylec likes this.
  4. Ferrari27

Ferrari27 Formula Junior

Jul 5, 2010
    I cannot see any where which mentions which wing has the problem. The EAA website referenced does not seem to indicate there is a problem with this aircraft. However, this aircraft suffered an apparent bird strike to the right wing (between engines 3 and 4) on March 20th this year during a landing at Lawrenceville-Gwinnett County Briscoe Field (LZU/KLZU), Georgia. The aircraft was grounded as a result of this incident but was clearly in the air again since. Could there be a connection between a bird strike and what has now happened, or could the fatigue have been found whilst investigating this incident?

5. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    I can't imagine that a bird strike could do enough damage " inside the wing' to ground the airplane. Damage to the leading edge by a large bird would certainly be enough. It would take something huge and heavy to damage a spar. I may have jumped to a conclusion that a fitting had cracked and failed in the spar terminals because I can't see anything that could fail in the spar truss except maybe a gusset near the terminals. Just a swag.