Buying my First Ferrari (812 SF) | FerrariChat

Buying my First Ferrari (812 SF)

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by SirTony76, Apr 19, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SirTony76

SirTony76 Formula Junior

Jan 18, 2004
    MN
    Hi All--it's been a lifelong dream to own a Ferrari with a V12. This is my first time buying something like this.

I've been looking for a while and jumped on one that I liked (was looking for a pretty particular set of options).

Still gotta make sure everything checks out (2019 812; certified pre-owned through Ferrari dealer), but I was wondering if you guys could give me a list of things to check on before I sign the papers.

Is a PPI necessary on a certified pre-owned still under warranty? I'm buying this out of state, how can I make sure I don't pay sales tax twice? Anyone with shipping recommendations (I searched but most stuff was a few years old)? thanks!

SeattleStew likes this.
  2. Jeff3545

Jeff3545 Karting

Sep 4, 2018
    SF Bay Area and South Florida
    Full Name:
    Jeff Nolan
    What state do you live in? A dealer will be able to remit the proper sales tax and DMV paperwork. If living in CA, you are on the hook for a smog inspection and VIN verification, which the CHP or DMV can do but it is a PITA. I just pay to have it done by one of the independent DMV service businesses that have popped up. You have a grace period from receiving a vehicle to completing the registration, and it is typically pretty generous but if you slip the date you will pay a fine.

Buying from a dealer removes a lot of the potential risk, but not all. Detail what they will ship with the car (cover, trickle charger, etc.) and get super specific, for example “two keys”. I had my last car ship to me with one key and a promise that they would reimburse me for the replacement. $1,400 out of pocket later and them forgetting who I was... I had 2 keys. You might consider flying to where the car is and documenting the condition before it ships. You are not buying a Mustang, these are quite expensive cars by any standard. Other, more knowledgable, people here will be able to give you guidance on what to have checked out on the car over and above the CPO inspection. There is a recall on the 812 for the back glass, which should get called out on the inspection but ask about it nonetheless

Shipping varies by distance, of course, but dealers will have preferred shippers and take their advice. Auto shipping can be a really shady business and a car that leaves, for example, Miami destined for California can make several stops for loading/unloading and even have the trailer change trucks along the way, after sitting in a trucking yard for several days. Don’t try to pinch pennies on shipping, but also know that companies like Reliable are top of the market and you don’t necessarily get more for the premium price tag.

3. GameMaker

GameMaker Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2014
    WA State
    What kind of options?

As for the paperwork the last out of state car I bought I simply brought the bill of sale to the DMV to get plates then flew out and put the plates on the car.

4. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Congratulations.

Fly out on a Thursday night, pick it up Friday and drive it home! Between Friday and Sunday, you can learn the car and have a great adventure.

Napoli, ANOpax and Way2fast like this.
  5. Boots

Boots Formula 3

Jan 17, 2020
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Jake
    @Jeff3545 mentioned some good points, if possible, view the car in person and get a proper inspection documenting anything that was not covered by the Ad. There have been some horror stories from Fchatters where their Ferrari dealers had failed to mention exterior and interior damages. Which could have been avoided had they viewed the car in person. Shipping is key too, do not cheap out on that part, maybe reach out to your dealer and see if they have trusted shippers. Where are you located? That would help other members with shipping reccos.

6. SirTony76

SirTony76 Formula Junior

Jan 18, 2004
    MN
    thanks all for the replies. its coming from california to minnesota (hopefully the state isn't burnt down by the weekend).

this one had the specific color combination i wanted and the front axle lifter

i appreciate all the suggestions--will plan on flying out and checking the car out in person prior to buying it verifying keys/etc.

i hope i didn't jinx myself by making this post--the financing by FFS is not as good as they first told me, and i have not gotten it in writing yet. any suggestions of other options for financing? i know the financing issue tends to be a polarizing issue around here (paying cash for toys), and i could pay cash--but to me the opportunity cost is too great to do that (i'd rather keep the money invested).

thanks all i appreciate it

ryalex likes this.
  7. SirTony76

SirTony76 Formula Junior

Jan 18, 2004
    MN
    Good news, discussed the financing issue with them and we've verbally agreed to the initial terms. Fingers crossed this happens!

ryalex and Thecadster like this.
  8. SirTony76

SirTony76 Formula Junior

Jan 18, 2004
    MN
    JariT, ryalex and SecretSquirrari like this.
  9. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Loxo and Bobby_P like this.
  10. SirTony76

SirTony76 Formula Junior

Jan 18, 2004
    MN
    Ryan--I remember checking out your thread when it was first posted and agree--thats the way to do it! Plan on doing trips to the Rockies in the summer with this car with the wife. Going to try and take your approach, but my time constraints might not allow it.

ryalex likes this.
  11. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Summer would be great too, it would be nice to take it a little more leisurely than I did. If you can go from Denver down to UT and then up the I15 to SLC and Park City areas it would be a wonderful driving trip.

12. Quietriot

Quietriot Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 28, 2018
    Once you get the keys, you will enjoy it even more. Cruising in the mountains is the best way to enjoy the amazing V12. If you have the time this summer, any long distance trip would be a real fun time.

13. gzachary

gzachary Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Jan 10, 2011
    California
    #13 gzachary, Apr 23, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2021
    I just sold my 812 through my dealer to a party I didn't know. I had a 2019 with a little over 2,000 miles. So I was about 2 years into the warranty.

Still the buyer wanted the car as CPO to add another 2 years of warranty. My 812 was absolutely spotless inside. Complete spec on the inside (carbon everywhere and anywhere, JBL, blah blah blah, everything).

The exterior was flawless. But I did not use carbon on the outside as it is on lowest portion of the car where high impact with gravel/rocks is likely to occur. That was the only "missing part" of a maximum spec car. I also had the car filmed completely. With ceramic on top of the film. You couldn't see the film.

Now, the one area I didn't film was the windshield. And the windshield took about 4-5 little teeny indentations/rock hits from driving. According to my dealer, the buyer didn't really care about the windshield chips. But cared quite a bit about any rock chip anywhere on the car. Even if it was on the film only.

I have known my dealership well for 15+ years. They tell me directly what is going on. They told me the film meant as much as did CPO. But once the buyer saw I went to trouble of putting on great film with ceramic, they weren't so insistent on CPO. It was quite psychological. My belief is that they needed to know they were getting a car that was well cared for.

Several days later, the deal closed and my dealer told me they ended up still buying CPO. LOL!

On shipping, I once had a nightmare issue shipping a new, high end vehicle to California from Wisconsin. I asked the dealer in Wisconsin to take pictures of the odometer on the showroom floor as well as when the dealer was loading the car onto the shipper's truck.

By the time the car arrived to me, the car had roughly 20 more miles on the odometer. And the shipper took about 10 days longer than originally promised and planned. The mistake was not picking the best shipper and waiting another week for delivery. Instead I rushed and it was still late by a week. And there were an extra 20 more miles. Driven by someone who was not me and probably not the dealer. Which leaves the shipper. So people's comments about picking great shipping are wise.

Thecadster likes this.
  14. SeattleStew

SeattleStew Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 10, 2020
    In the rain
    Full Name:
    Stew
    Congrats on the 812! I too had similar dreams of owning a V12 Ferrari and the 812 was my first as well.

You will enjoy every second of driving this car. It really is something special. I hope your schedule will allow you driving it back home because that would be a great way to really learn the car and have an amazing trip!

15. King

King Rookie

Jul 13, 2004
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Michael Metzler
    What are all the financing terms on a Ferrari?
    I just bought a 488 but usually do finance my cars.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

16. SirTony76

SirTony76 Formula Junior

Jan 18, 2004
    MN
    Thanks for the feedback everyone--will post an update once I have the car. The plan is to go out and see/verify the first week of May, then get it home.

ryalex likes this.
  17. Boots

Boots Formula 3

Jan 17, 2020
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Jake
  18. SirTony76

SirTony76 Formula Junior

Jan 18, 2004
    MN
    Update--went and saw the car yesterday, was awesome. Paid-up, signed papers. Brother and I did a test drive through Malibu, was awesome (and scary). Hopefully will have the car back home by next week, it is back at the dealer waiting on the truck to pick it up. Will post pictures once I get it home. Thanks all for the help/advice.

19. SeattleStew

SeattleStew Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 10, 2020
    In the rain
    Full Name:
    Stew
    Congrats! The first hit in the car will have you hooked for life. Just embrace it lol

Quietriot likes this.
  20. Jeff3545

Jeff3545 Karting

Sep 4, 2018
    SF Bay Area and South Florida
    Full Name:
    Jeff Nolan
    No prior production car experience prepares you for the total experience of driving the 812. It is unlike anything I have ever owned or driven.

21. SirTony76

SirTony76 Formula Junior

Jan 18, 2004
    MN
    @Stew, @jeff yes i agree--going to have to ease myself into this over the course of the next few weeks!

SeattleStew and ryalex like this.
  22. SirTony76

SirTony76 Formula Junior

Jan 18, 2004
    MN
    430jm, ryalex, italiafan and 2 others like this.
  23. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    100% coverage of the exterior is what I recommend. Also, I had them do ceramic coating on top, although many others feel like that step is unnecessary. I use Exoshield on the front windshield. I installed Suntek because, at the time, it was the only manufacturer that had rolls big enough to prevent having to use a seam or notch on the front hood of the 812. That may have changed in the last couple years. All my other cars are Xpel. I enjoy having a certain measure of protection on my cars, but mostly I love never having to wash them. All they really require is a squirt of quick detailer and a microfiber and I am good to go. No swirls. No buffing.

Jeff3545 and SirTony76 like this.
  24. SirTony76

SirTony76 Formula Junior

Jan 18, 2004
    MN
    awesome. appreciate it. i know a lot of people enjoy washing their cars--i am not one of those people!

Thecadster likes this.
  25. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    I have owned my 812 for two years. Sadly, it only has 1000 miles (I have 5 cars that I rotate driving). I have never washed it. The dealer has washed it twice as part of the annual service. It always looks great!