MOUNTING A E50 FIRE EXTINGUSHER IN A 360 OR 430 | FerrariChat

MOUNTING A E50 FIRE EXTINGUSHER IN A 360 OR 430

Discussion in '360/430' started by ceb39, Apr 23, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ceb39

ceb39 Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2012
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    Chuck B
    Anyone mounted a E50 extinguisher in their 360, or maybe their 430. Would like to know what I am up against before buying one,

ceb

2. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    I put it into the driver door pocket. That way, I can grab it as I'm exiting the car. I got the higher rated one.

3. timwu12

timwu12 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2014
    TX
    Mine is in the door pocket too

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

EastMemphis likes this.
  4. lkstaack

lkstaack Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2020
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Lars
  5. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    I put the largest extinguisher I can fit in a Ferrari red gym bag behind the psgr seat.

no drilling
    Out of the way
    Budget friendly
    does not move around
    Since you can fit golf clubs ‘allegedly’ behind the seat—- you can fit a nice large cap extinguisher.

luccio and NMNMNMN like this.
  6. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
  7. Ernieinky

Ernieinky Rookie

May 25, 2018
    Full Name:
    Matthew Ernst
    I bought a quick release off of EBay or Amazon for $30 and had my metal guy make me a bracket (~$20) to connect it to the rail on the bottom front of passenger seat (No drilling, used existing holes to connect). The whole unit moves with the seat. I can disconnect the quick release in seconds..... Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Clint 360 and Stealthssfc like this.
  8. becausephilchow

becausephilchow Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2016
    Hong Kong
    clean512, Stealthssfc and honda corse like this.
  9. luccio

luccio Rookie

Feb 10, 2021
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Luccio
    I don't want to sound like giving lessons, but please keep in mind that the purpose of fire extinguishers in cars is to let occupants leave the vehicle in case of fire, not to control the fire itself. I lost a car (and have been fortunate to have only suffered superficial burns) trying to do so. I would find a place to have the extinguisher at hand with seat belt buckled.
    Modern manufacturers (like Porsche) put a tiny extinguisher in front of the passenger seat. It comes I believe from a habit we had in endurance and rallye where the rather large extinguisher was located there, and sprayers installed around the driver and possible co-pilot. As many people know there are multiple triggers, outside of the vehicle and at least one inside the car accessible to at least the driver.

While it's a rather personal perspective, I think it makes sens to keep it in the door or right behind the occupant between the seats, so that the extinguisher can be grabbed easily by an occupant to make the way out...

EastMemphis likes this.
  10. CoreyNJ

CoreyNJ Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 17, 2006
    New Jersey Shore
    Can you show pictures of the metal bracket? I have the bracketeer and it doesn't move with the seat and it you have to be careful that the passenger does not push the seat too far forward or the person may damage the seat leather.

Thanks,
    Cheers,
    Corey

11. CSX55

CSX55 Rookie

Mar 30, 2021
    Tucson, AZ
    I installed a 2.5 lb Halguard extinguisher using the Bracketeer seat mount along with the Halguard-supplied extinguisher mount, see below. The only problem is with the Halguard side of the mount that holds the extinguisher; it's keyed so that the nozzle points at a 45 degree angle upward which limits seat travel. Safecraft makes a billet mount that would allow you to rotate the extinguisher and would mitigate this issue. But overall very happy with the Bracketeer.

To me this is the ideal position - in the cockpit, accessible from the driver seat, and does not interfere with passenger legroom. Ultimately the tradeoff is that it does limit forward seat movement but that seems a small price to pay. I don't think mounting the extinguisher behind the seat is safe especially if you have power seats; depending on the nature of the fire you may not have time or electrical power to move the seat forward for access.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    I no longer carry the heavy, metal type extinguisher, but have an Element instead. It’s the size of a road flare so saves weight and mounts easily. https://elementfire.com/

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

G8TD and kes7u like this.
  13. Snapshift

Snapshift Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 31, 2020
    Centralia IL
    Full Name:
    Lyle D. Pahnke
    In my F430, I put mine in the shelf compartment above subwoofer in rear between seats. Highly visible and easily reachable by passenger or driver. Doesn't always instill confidence in my passengers though when they see it while getting in.o_O
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. luccio

luccio Rookie

Feb 10, 2021
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Luccio
    These are cool. Thanks for sharing, these were ridiculously expensive when I looked a few years ago. Still pricey, but seems worth it!

15. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    So worth it. Much less weight, much longer suppressant duration, all biodegradable, no messy foam. The weight savings alone is worth it, but also for safety. You don’t risk that heavy extinguisher coming loose in an incident.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

Snapshift and grtoz like this.