F355 Market | Page 227 | FerrariChat

F355 Market

Discussion in '348/355' started by Robb, May 19, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Targatime

Targatime Formula 3

Feb 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Oh yes. It's a piece of cake, and no drilling/cutting/grinding needed. Totally different than the later cars. The problem is parts availability. The manual shifter housing and linkage back to the gearbox is difficult to find. None of the parts are complicated though and at some point someone will get a few items fabricated and sell a manual conversion kit.

2. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I suspected if someone fabricated a kit they would sell very few making it not worth it.

3. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    Oh I didn't realize the parts were hard to come by. Thought it would be easier considering the amount of these that have been wrecked by now.

4. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    You still end up with a converted car which will never be as valuable as one that left the factory gated. One thing to buy a car and convert it for yourself, another to sell it.

tres55 likes this.
  5. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    I meant more so buying it to drive, if that is your preference.

For example, spend 60k for an F1 car, convert for 15. Is it worth less than what you have into it?

ShineKen, tres55 and Wsmatau like this.
  6. Wsmatau

Wsmatau Formula Junior

Sep 21, 2016
    This is exactly my thinking lately. I'm a big fan of "resto-mod" muscle cars which essentially is the same theory applied to a more modern twist. I know it can be sacrilege to some, but then I wouldn't have to feel bad if I wanted to modify other parts of the car (Daytona-type seats or a turbo, etc). If it is a driver and a keeper rather than an investment or a concourse car, I say use it and enjoy it!

7. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    ...those guys doing the 430 kit seem to be up to their eyeballs.

sjd

8. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    I agree. Doing a 'resto mod' car myself. And have also ruined my 355 with mods :eek:

Wsmatau likes this.
  9. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    So this is anecdotal but I've seen probably a dozen or more "96" cars that were 2.7 and pre-airbag in Europe and Japan over the years so my assumption is they are very early 1996 MY cars before the change happened. Maybe someone here knows what assembly number forward that happened?

I've attached the photos of the car I lost out on. It was nice and if I didn't already have my dream spec in my garage I would've kept going. :D

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Attached Files:

ShineKen likes this.
  10. Targatime

Targatime Formula 3

Feb 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    #5660 Targatime, Apr 23, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2021
    I think it would be accurate to say that a given factory manual 355 is slightly more valuable than the identical 355 that was converted to manual. But a converted manual 355 is significantly more valuable than the same car in F1 configuration.

I found the exact spec 355 I wanted except it was F1 and I bought it intending to do the conversion. In my case it was more like, spend $70K for the car, convert it for $3K. I've taken some time to pull together all the parts and I do think this will be a problem in the future as I searched the globe for some of the items I needed and there is basically nothing out there right now. I made a lot of calls.

I think people don't understand the conversion very well. It's quite simple. All 355's are built on the manual platform. It's not like later cars where the automatic stuff is deeply intertwined with virtually ever aspect of the car. In the case of the F1, the factory bolted on a handful of different parts (the pump, actuator, some hoses) that can be removed and replaced with manual parts. There is no cutting or drilling required. Nothing irreversible. You add a clutch pedal and clutch MC to the pedal box (even the manual and F1 pedal boxes are the same), run the clutch hydraulic line back to the engine bay, and add the manual shifter and linkage. There are of course more details, but that's pretty much it. Since the gearbox and clutch on a manual and F1 are the same, "converting" the car is basically limited to linkages and plumbing.

Knowing what's involved I personally would value a converted car at a few thousand dollars less than the same factory manual car, just because it's less original. Obviously value is a personal thing and maybe John you'd value a nice converted 355 at $60K minus 20 percent. ;)

ShineKen and INTMD8 like this.
  11. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    #5661 johnk..., Apr 23, 2021
    That's an opinion. I would never consider a converted car.

Probably easy to get it to work, but what about the more subtle changes, instrument cluster, gauges, safety switches.....ECU?

As a buyer of a converted car how would you know if it was done right?

No, thank you.

12. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    I'm sure EAG would be willing to duplicate the conversion parts if they become scarce.

13. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    All of those are minor things still.

I agree with you though...I wouldn't consider a converted car unless it came with all of the original F1 parts with it.

I think people are sleeping on the F1 variants. They're gonna be worth more one day than the manuals.

14. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
  15. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    I don't know what the difference is but I wouldn't consider it minor to have an F1 5.2 ECU in a gated car. And, for example, why is the TPS different on F1 cars? It's much more than removing the F1 control system and replacing the mechanical linkage.

MAD828 likes this.
  16. Targatime

Targatime Formula 3

Feb 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    #5666 Targatime, Apr 23, 2021
    There's no difference to the fuel and ignition map, sensor inputs, etc. The difference is the F1 ECU wants to see a TCU signal. You can either drive with that error code or send your ECU to that place in Florida and they switch it off. Easy-peasy.

You remove the instrument pod and swap out the F1 gear selector for the oil temp gauge. Very easy.

The same way you tell if any mechanical procedure was done right. Someone unbolts the F1 parts and bolts on the manual parts. It's not a particularly screw-up-able thing. I would just check the conversion parts and make sure they look good.

MAD828 and INTMD8 like this.
  17. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    You’ll need to rev it past 6k ;)

18. Wsmatau

Wsmatau Formula Junior

Sep 21, 2016
    "I've been called worse"

Image Unavailable, Please Login

The funny part is my "Shelby" will run circles around an original and keep up with most modern sports cars. When people ask if it's "real" (99% of people at car shows can't tell, but I never try to pass it off as an original) I just slap the hood and say "It feels real to me!"

INTMD8 and ShineKen like this.
  19. Wsmatau

Wsmatau Formula Junior

Sep 21, 2016
  20. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Good, then you buy the car. :)

Targatime likes this.
  21. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    I'm assuming the TPS has something to do with rev matching (a read out the F1 TCU probably needs) or the amount of pressure / speed the gear is to be engaged with. Neither of which would affect drivability after a conversion I assume.

22. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    Looks awesome! My Charger will keep up with modern sports cars as well. As long as no corners are involved :p

Doramon0720, Targatime and Wsmatau like this.
  23. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    I'd be willing to duplicate the parts...copying/sourcing is easy.

sjd

Wsmatau and ShineKen like this.
  24. 4respy

4respy Formula Junior

Aug 15, 2014
    los angeles
    Full Name:
    steve

25. Ferrarista98

Ferrarista98 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 7, 2018
    Full Name:
    Jason L
    Relatively new here and wondering what market is these days for an F1 berlinetta? See a few yellow F1s that seem to be sitting but not sure those are representative of broader market. Looking for a more sorted example with good records.