812 VS Rumors | Page 279 | FerrariChat

812 VS Rumors

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by Frenzisko, Feb 10, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. IlModenese

IlModenese Rookie

Jan 15, 2008
    USA
    Full Name:
    SS
    Panamerica could be an interesting name, given also there was some talk many, many pages ago on a potential USA/America link in the name?

2. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    I like the bottom car better. I do like the rear lip which increases the rake of the car and looks good. This is it's best angle, the rear is awful.

3. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    gzachary, of2worlds, MDEL and 2 others like this.
  4. Nicolas21

Nicolas21 Formula Junior

Jul 13, 2016
    Near a nuclear powerplant
    Full Name:
    Nicolas
  5. Forza Scuderia

Forza Scuderia Formula Junior

Jan 13, 2015
    #6955 Forza Scuderia, Apr 23, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2021
    Unofficially confirming what is in this great post above.

When gathering intelligence it is always subject to crosstalk, metaphorical ‘signal noise’ of various types, misinterpretation and even more frequently, miscommunication especially when not everyone is speaking the same language as their first language.

For many months I had been hearing Competizione and actually posted several times that this was the most likely name for the car. More recently I was hearing that was to be GTO but now it is clear that is for a different car.

This car is Competizione and Competizione A as stated in referenced post above.

6. Forza Scuderia

Jan 13, 2015
    JTSE30 likes this.
  7. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    just for reference so everyone knows what you are referring to, a single post from late last year

of2worlds likes this.
  8. Forza Scuderia

Jan 13, 2015
    There you have it

9. colonels

colonels Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2011
    what's in a name?
    so much talk about its name!

however look at the F12 Berlinetta... the name sounds so smooth, it just rolls off the tongue, very italian, very elegant... and matches the design of the car which is arguably more beautiful than the 812

then look at the 812 Superfast... the name sounds, well, just like the car looks... a mish mash of aero that never really flowed for me but made for a helluva fast car

i guess the name is kinda important :p

hagen111, ilcapodizurigo and JTSE30 like this.
  10. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    Superfast is a great and historic name for Ferrari.

Camlet1, Bundy, Gianfranco341 and 3 others like this.
  11. klinkman

klinkman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 29, 2018
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Can anyone recall the marketing around the TDF and perhaps compare or contrast the two?

My impression of what we've seen to this point is the 812Competizione seems to be purpose built track focused car. The TDF is a street car.

Is there some possibility the 812C is a track only car?

12. dcmetro

dcmetro F1 Veteran

Nov 27, 2007
    Paris , France
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    No way.

gzachary and Albert-LP like this.
  13. klinkman

klinkman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 29, 2018
    Full Name:
    Eric
    See JTSE30's post above, #6953 -- if that image captures the production car, it shows exactly what I'm talking about. That car can't be sold in U.S. as a street car.
    I have a Lotus track car with exactly the same sort of modifications.

14. iohead

iohead Karting

Feb 19, 2013
    That just means the picture (rendering) is that of a European (non-USA market) car. The USA cars will have the doodads necessary to make it street legal here. It is quite common for manufacturers to use European versions in global marketing material.

There is no air of mystery or doubt here: these are road cars, not track-only cars.

350MH83, Albert-LP, 456-boy and 2 others like this.
  15. Nicolas21

Nicolas21 Formula Junior

Jul 13, 2016
    Near a nuclear powerplant
    Full Name:
    Nicolas
    Or the car shown is a worldwide car.
    Is Ferrari too idiot to not sell the car in one of their big market? Surely not

SECRET likes this.
  16. SECRET

SECRET Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 19, 2007
    You think they're going to let a little reflector prevent them from shipping in the US?

Examples of things they can do to solve that with Flavio barely lifting his pen. If you look at the TDF, they did a pretty lazy job of putting the reflector on the rear bumper but they did it.

350MH83, Gazza21, Caeruleus11 and 8 others like this.
  17. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    That’s the best and probably most accurate comment about depreciation I ever heard!

Gazza21, Camlet1, Caeruleus11 and 3 others like this.
  18. klinkman

klinkman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 29, 2018
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Thanks for the implication, but no this isn't the only question. The big picture question is comparing the marketing with TDF.

19. Forza Scuderia

Jan 13, 2015
    812 Competizione will absolutely be street legal in the USA.

This is not even a question. A rabbit hole that shouldn’t even be opened for others to go down. 100% street legal in USA.

Camlet1 likes this.
  20. IlModenese

IlModenese Rookie

Jan 15, 2008
    USA
    Full Name:
    SS
    Doubt they would put a Passenger Screen in a track car!

21. isot

isot Formula 3

May 6, 2012
    Lucca
    Full Name:
    Alberto
  22. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    Same in full red ?

23. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    The TDF was a homage to the old French Tour de France automobile races where Ferrari did rather well in the 1960's with streetable race cars like the GTO.
    However some gentlemen who ride bikes in colourful outfits felt the Tour de France name belonged to them. As a result Ferrari shortened the name to tdF and let others guess at it's meaning.
    The new "C" name doesn't strike me as being authentic at all. This is not a Ferrari for competition or born of competition.
    The P80/C also known as SP36 by comparison has street and track versions. Ferrari created that potential with various car modifications to suit either venue. This car was created of a competition model the 812 is a 'street car' with all the performance constraints that description includes.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

the ' green lawn' version again below >

Image Unavailable, Please Login

cesman, Bundy, Caeruleus11 and 4 others like this.
  24. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    #6974 Lukeylikey, Apr 23, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2021
    This picture set is interesting. On its own the TDF looks beautiful. However, this side-by-side comparison starts to make it look a bit less resolved. The stance of the 812 is set by the philosophy that carries through the whole of the car - front, sides and rear. You have a major line running from the front apron, through the doors to the rear spoiler. The three vents at the rear wheel arch follow that theme and the bonnet intersecting with that line through the carbon cross-section and the shapes and angles of the glasshouse look completely balanced and complimentary. It looks all-of-a-piece. The TDF looks like a different design at the bottom half to the top. The side creases don’t meet with any lines at the front or rear and seem isolated when viewed in side profile. The car seems long and flat rather than sitting prone as the VS does. The lithe proportions of the area ahead of the windscreen and behind the front arches looks so much more sporting in the VS, to a degree that makes the TDF look unnecessarily heavy in this area.

The TDF is wonderful in real life. But I think the VS could be even sweeter. You have to wait until you see them in the flesh to really know but for exactly that reason plus the points I mention above, it seems incongruous to me to declare this design to be bad with any real conviction.

As for the name, I need educating. I don’t like the Competizione name and hope the predictions of its use will prove incorrect. I don’t really know what it means in relation to this car. GTO with an XX in the pipeline makes perfect sense, following the TDF theme with Panamerica, Daytona, Le Mans or Mille Miglia also makes sense. But calling this car Comptetizione when it isn’t ever going to be in one, given it could be the very last n/a V12 lightweight with therefore real and direct links back to those first racing, front-engined V12 lightweights of old, seems confusing to me. For possibly the end of an era it doesn’t hit the spot. Or am I missing something?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

jpalmito, gzachary, Boots and 3 others like this.
  25. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Very succinct plus well reasoned intent, as usual!

Lukeylikey, Boots and JagShergill like this.