1992 348 TS Exaust Options | FerrariChat

1992 348 TS Exaust Options

Discussion in '348/355' started by POLO35, Dec 17, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. POLO35

POLO35 Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2005
    Treasure Coast Florida
    Full Name:
    MATT
    Hey guys wealth of information on here but I have a question regarding the Ferrari 348 exhaust particularly the earlier models. So I'm looking at any and all options everything from a homemade system to Tubi, Capristo Etc. So my car has a silencer AND a muffler but the spider only has a silencer and no Muffler. Has anyone ever heard the difference between the STOCK two side-by-side? Also when fitting one of these cars with either Capristo or Tubi, does removing the cats make a significant difference in the throatiness of the exhaust sound? I really don't want to get rid of the cats cuz I don't want it smelling like a muscle car. Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

2. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
  3. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    Switching to a single can system will save a crap load of weight back there and give the engine better breathing. Definitely upgrade the cats while you are at it. Dumping those ceramic cans for modem metallic ones is another weight savings plus performance. This is by far the easiest power upgrade you can perform on this car. Tubi, Nuvolari, Larini, Capristo, Fabspeed take your pick. I have a set of custom gothspeed units. It's a personal choice, but they all get you down the road faster. ;)

4. POLO35

POLO35 Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2005
    Treasure Coast Florida
    Full Name:
    MATT
    Thanks for all of the excellent suggestions. This weekend I did a mock-up exhaust just to see what it would look and sound like. I removed the silencer and ran straight pipes from the muffler out the back.....now please don't rip on me, it's only temporary, but it sounded quite nice plus the added benefit is getting that muffler off of the clutch bellhousing which gets so unbelievably hot!!!!! Another added benefit of getting rid of the silencer completely gives you an unobstructed view of the clutch housing which I think looks really, really cool and one more added benefit I have always thought pretty much all 348 exausts have two small of outlet tips. I purchased these 3 in rolled stainless ones that I'm going to try to incorporate in my design or onto a high end bolt on set. Any feedback ...., positive or negative would be greatly appreciated. I will post pics as soon as I get home shortly.

5. Kaivball

Kaivball Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2007
    Kalifornia
    I run straight pipes and the Nouvolari Super Sport exhaust.

I get tons and tons of complements on the sound of the car, especially at Ferrari events.

Kai

6. Ricky_rkt

Ricky_rkt Rookie

Mar 30, 2021
    Madrid, Spain
    Hi guys,
    After reading all the comments in the chat, I have now a lot more clear what i want from the car and the way to go. I have decided to buy a Tubi exhaust and make my 348ts scream as it should. I have the feeling that the Tubi exhaust (loud) + de-cat is going to be too much so I have to options in my head right now:

- Tubi Catback (loud) + OEM Cats (video added)
    - OEM Catback + Tubi High Flow Bypass Pipes (didn´t find a video)

What do you recommend based on your experience?. I just want to go to even once reached 5.000rpm :)
    Old Scool Ferrari Sound!, elegant when driving in the city but when you push hard it screams like a maniac.

7. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    best sounding is the kressing is my opinion.
    The WW is tame but very nice -
    The valvetronic if much wilder -

Huskymaniac and Ricky_rkt like this.
  8. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    I had test pipes and replaced them with high flow cats from nouvilari.

No difference in sound, with the benefit of no smell and passes our local emissions test!

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Ricky_rkt likes this.
  9. Ricky_rkt

Ricky_rkt Rookie

Mar 30, 2021
    Madrid, Spain
    #10 Ricky_rkt, Apr 22, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2021
    My mechanic just told me that in these cars (348 and 355) due to the sensors than are connected to the cats, the car engine gets into an emergency mode and the power is reduced. What is the best way to stop this?, removing the cats and the sensors connected to them?. Does it sound a lot louder without the cats?, what would you do?

Sorry for the terrible explanation.

10. Huskymaniac

Huskymaniac Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2020
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Full Name:
    Tony
    I have an exhaust for sale on the parts forum. Just an FYI.

11. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    there are o2 sensors and thermo sensors.

the o2 sensors need to remain connected as they input to the fuel mix etc.

the thermo sensors are there to protect the cats from overheating. If they sense an overheat they will shut that bank down.

the thermo sensors are managed by the exhaust ecus; which are a known weak point. Just disconnect the exhaust ecus from the main wiring harness. Search on this as there are loads and loads of threads about it.

In my experience on my 348 and 355 there is no difference in sound between test pipes and high flow cats.

Ricky_rkt likes this.
  12. Ricky_rkt

Ricky_rkt Rookie

Mar 30, 2021
    Madrid, Spain
    Wow!, thanks a lot!. Lots of good I information. My mechanic told me to ask here the best way to avoid the sensors from affecting the power of the engine due to an overheat of the cats. Your input is super good, I will tell him. All his experience is based on 458,488 ( new Ferrari models).

So based on your experience, I can go without cats and the sound in terms of volume won’t change that much?. In my casa, would you go for the Tubi catback+ OEM Cats / Tubi + pipes / OEM Catback + pipes?.

Thank you all for you help!. I really appreciate it