Scuderia Audio 599 GTB Speaker Upgrade Kit - Sneak Peek | FerrariChat

Scuderia Audio 599 GTB Speaker Upgrade Kit - Sneak Peek

Discussion in '612/599' started by SoftwareDrone, Apr 21, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    After getting pummeled with requests from 599 owners for a kit similar to what I produce for the 360/430/458/488/F8, etc. I started working on a system a couple of months ago. Here's what I have so far.

I have engineered replacement speakers for the tweeters (in the A pillars of the doors), the midranges located in the rear side panels (there are no midrange speakers in the doors of a 599) and a replacement subwoofer located in the passenger side footwell. I am currently working on a replacement for the large subwoofer in the rear package tray but have nothing to share at the moment.

2. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I purchased a new 599 tweeter pod from Ferrari, paid a high tech outfit in Marin to 3D scan it, had my CAD guy add the fixture to make the tweeter hyper directional and am now 3D printing these. The problem with the 599 tweeter pod (and just about any other Ferrari tweeter pod) is that it shoots the sound straight at the other tweeter (nowhere near the listeners). My hyper directional tweeters point the sound (to within 1/10 of a degree) straight to the listeners for perfect stereo imaging. Both the tweeters and midrange speakers are Morel Carbon Nano units (similar to my Scuderia kick panel kit).

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    The midrange speakers are located in the rear side panels and are very tiny. I've engineered special adapter plates using the same bolt pattern as the OEM speakers so all you need to do is unscrew the speaker from the panel, bolt on my adapter plate, then bolt on the Morel Carbon Nano midrange to the adapter plate.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    The subwoofer in the footwell is replaced by a monster 6 inch sub with high power handling capacity. Although not shown, the kit also includes some acoustic dampening material by Black Hole Acoustics that will be placed inside of the plastic subwoofer box. Simply unbolt the old speaker, bolt in my 3D printed adapter plate, then bolt the new subwoofer to the adapter plate.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Boomhauer likes this.
  5. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    We are working on the rear subwoofer and hope to shoehorn an 8", 9" or even a 10" slim design monster subwoofer back there. Stay tuned.

Makuono likes this.
  6. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Looks great!

7. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Makuono likes this.
  8. G55amg

G55amg Karting

Jan 9, 2013
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Johnny Vazquez
    Hello
    I’m very interested on this kit, my car has the non-Bose sound system and is not great.
    Questions, Why did you use the Morel Nano? Is it because there is no space in the back of the panel?
    What speakers are you suggesting for the ones in the dash?

9. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    I am sure Mike will answer but I have seen them and the prototype pods. You are correct, no room in the panel. Mike designed and made adapter plates so you bolt the speakers in without any modifications. The tweeter pods look great, OEM appearance all the way. They really blend with the shape of the HVAC vents. I have the Bose and I am tempted.

10. odf911

odf911 Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2013
    London UK (Chelsea)
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    Anyone ever managed to replace the dash speaker without removing the dashboard? Maybe by smartly cutting though the grill?

11. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    SkidKid hit the nail on the head. There is some room (depth) near the center of the speaker, but as you move out in any direction (especially upward), you quickly run out of room behind the panel. The Nanos sound great (I use them in my Ferrari Scuderia Kick Panels) and it's always better to have a 6 1/2" speaker than a 5 1/4" (or smaller) speaker whenever possible.

I may not offer a dash speaker replacement option in this kit. The current speakers in this kit can be replaced very easily, but removing the dash is a huge undertaking.

Skidkid likes this.
  12. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    This is what I love about Ferrari Chat! I am already working with an F Chatter with a 599 with the dash already removed. I have an idea of the ideal dash speaker but we are working out some details. Stay tuned...

Caphill and brogenville like this.
  13. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    The preliminary design for the adapter plate for the large subwoofer for the rear package tray is complete, but the 10 inch subwoofer was accidently shipped to my house instead of the CAD designer's shop, resulting in a delay. I have three sets of 3D printed tweeter pods out getting skinned in carbon fiber. Will post pictures when complete.

Skidkid likes this.
  14. G55amg

G55amg Karting

Jan 9, 2013
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Johnny Vazquez
    Can’t wait!

15. G55amg

G55amg Karting

Jan 9, 2013
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Johnny Vazquez
    Any updates ?

16. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Yes, actually. Just today my CAD guy completed the design for the adapter plate that will hold the 10 inch subwoofer in the center of the package tray.
    We were originally going to go with a 3D printed nylon piece but determined that it would be way too flimsy to hold a pounding 10 inch sub steady, so we will have these laser cut from 1/8" thick stainless steel with M5 stainless nuts tig welded underneath (8 of them, to hold the sub to the plate). All we need to do is test fit this adapter plate/subwoofer assembly and this kit is ready to go!

Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I was informed yesterday that the three sets of 3D printed tweeter pods will be complete on Saturday and will be shipped across town (a rather large town in China) to the factory where they will be skinned in carbon fiber. I'm hoping to have these in my possession in about a week or so.

ddrewesusa and brogenville like this.
  18. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I purchased one of the Bose speakers that mount on either side of the large package tray subwoofer (mentioned above) so we can design another adapter plate to hold small subwoofers in their place. The development of this adapter will not preclude the release of the 599 speaker upgrade kit.

19. IcemanWlkp

IcemanWlkp Karting

Oct 15, 2020
    Full Name:
    Marek Orli
    How will the factory radio behave on such a change, is the resistance and the loudspeakers power identical to the factory one? Does the radio have a power reserve to operate with a more powerful set? greetings

20. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Excellent questions!
    I learned the hard way on the 488's to make sure to get the impedance right on the speakers. The InfoTainment system gets very grouchy if it sees an impedance drop. Nothing will get damaged, it will just refuse to cooperate.
    Regarding the radio power reserve, the short answer is no. Whether you have the standard setup or the Bose option, the systems are sorely under powered. However, trying to convince the population that simply replacing the speakers with quality units and not upgrading the amplifier will not produce the results they are looking for is a full time job. Adding an aftermarket amplifier is the easy part. Engineering a system of speakers and associated hardware that will work seamlessly with the car with no modifications takes a monumental effort. I've been working on this particular project for three months.

21. IcemanWlkp

IcemanWlkp Karting

Oct 15, 2020
    Full Name:
    Marek Orli
    Thanks, I believe that replacing it with better quality equipment (made in better technology) with the same resistance and operating at nominal power is a lot of fun for months. Do the loudspeakers you use apart from power and resistance have a similar frequency range and is it different? It would be nice if you presented a replacement instead of a factory speaker, you gave basic parameters such as: power, resistance, frequency, greetings and good wishes for the project success.

22. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I had several sets of 599 tweeter pods manufactured and they are all being skinned with carbon fiber as I write this. I'm hoping to receive them in about a week. Meanwhile, the 10 inch subwoofer mounting plates will be ready for pickup by tomorrow afternoon. I was told that all the 599's have carbon fiber vents in the dash, so I don't think that selling the non carbon tweeter pods will be a good idea. As soon as the CF tweeter pods arrive, kits should be complete and ready to ship. Will keep you posted.

23. G55amg

G55amg Karting

Jan 9, 2013
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Johnny Vazquez
  24. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    The package tray subwoofer adapter plates arrived yesterday, they were perfect. Ran them over to the power coating shop, they should be done this afternoon or tomorrow. I have another 10" subwoofer on the way. Waiting for an update on the carbon fiber tweeter pods.

25. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Skidkid likes this.