355 - 6yrs since service | Page 2 | FerrariChat

355 6yrs since service

Discussion in '348/355' started by PiersR, Apr 13, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    The legend of the failed belt. It will happen to one in many thousands, yet many thousands of us don’t want to be the one.

I am a proponent of much longer intervals, simply because every time you start tearing things down “just cause it’s time”, you risk screwing something up, or replacing perfectly-good parts with new ones that could be faulty.

Within reason, let the happily sleeping dogs lie.

ttforcefed likes this.
  2. jjtjr

jjtjr Formula Junior

Aug 29, 2016
    Vermont
    Full Name:
    john truskowski
    I'm sure that the dimensions are exactly the same but like everything else, the manufacturers keep improving the materials to be lighter, stronger and heat tolerant. I thing the same goes with just about any polymer or rubber based material. Just look at some of the dashboards from cars in the 90's that are sun faded and brittle, compared to what is available today.
    But nothing is intended to last forever...

PiersR likes this.
  3. TrojanFan

TrojanFan F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 17, 2008
    So. CA & NV
    Full Name:
    Peter
    My 355 is on 8 years and about 12,000 miles since the last major. Not driving her as much as a few other Ferraris have cycled through. Oil changed every year. Gear oil and coolant every 2-3 years. Planing to do a major next year.

PiersR and Targatime like this.
  4. bcar1

bcar1 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 2, 2017
    NYC/NJ
    Full Name:
    Bob
    yes I agree new cars would have belts made w newer material- but nothing abt purchasing Ferrari parts without superseded numbers would indicate there is any incremental advancement being made to them. Purchase a new astray or vents if you don’t believe me :)

5. Sig. Roma

Sig. Roma Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 11, 2007
    Bella Italia
    Full Name:
    Dom T.
    I'll give you my $0.02 on belts. I worked for the belt supplier here in the UK, and the major customers we had, were pushing for 160K belt life, ie the life of the vehicles. Belt material was HNBR, and was good for high temps.

The HNBR was launched somewhere in the 1990s (from memory), and much better than the belt materials from the 1970s/1980s.

So perhaps, the 3 year change interval is excessive (and profitable) for the service side of the business.

PiersR likes this.
  6. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    If you have had no leaks of oil or water 7 to 10 years on my next one

7. Ahchard

Ahchard Karting

Feb 11, 2021
    Full Name:
    Richard Lau
    I see some comments about the Hill bearings. Are they better than original ferrari bearings?

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

8. WATSON

WATSON Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    Yes.

9. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    I found the best thing to do is drive the car a few times per week no matter.
    It tends to break down less, or just throw codes that go away