LIE 495 - Road To Hell | Page 2 | FerrariChat

LIE 495 - Road To Hell

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by msgm1, Apr 10, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

LIE is horrific. Belt Pkwy is 100x better than the LIE. I store my cars off the LIE at exit 65. The LIE has been a crumby road for many years, especially with all the trucks. It's actually dangerous right now. So much loose asphalt being thrown up at your windshild or front of your car.

I don't go to the Hamptons anymore, I went there forever. Uncle had a place in Water Mill from the late 50s-80s, Another uncle had a place in Amagansett, and my folks had a place in East Hampton. If I were going from NYC, I would take Southern State from the Belt or get on Northern State as it has been repaved from the Cross Island to Medowbrook and beyond. Sunrise it decent from Islip all the way out because they built it right with a great foundation.

2. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    brining the FF back to Westchester from the Hamptons tomorrow - dreading it.

3. Newjoint

Newjoint Formula 3

Jan 17, 2016
    I agree the Northern State is a fabulous road now repaved with undulating roads perfect to challenge with an 812. Better than the boringly straight pock marked LIE

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

LeoBRK likes this.
  4. msgm1

msgm1 Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2003
    NYC
    How was it TT? Did the new tire strategy help?

5. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Annoying and internal organ shaking

bball16 likes this.
  6. bball16

bball16 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 2, 2011
    NY LI FtL
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Our FCA chapter did an event at in Westhampton yesterday and we had about 15 cars go round trip from exit 50-70. What a nightmare and totally what a totally exhausting drive. The LIE is the worst piece of crap I’ve ever driven on. Potholes, ruts and speed bumps that turned a really nice drive into a teeth chattering nightmare.

7. msgm1

msgm1 Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2003
    NYC
    hmmmm, because the road is a disaster, not because the different tire strategy didn't work?

8. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    road is still a disaster even with all the potholes they "fixed". I cldnt feel a noticeable difference...only way to know if the tire strategy works is to drive it for a while.

bball16 likes this.
  9. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Hire transporter? Might be cheaper than more damage. To my mind, LI driving is just among the worst I’ve ever experienced. Bad roads and bad drivers.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

Bundy and of2worlds like this.
  10. msgm1

msgm1 Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2003
    NYC
    Ya totally. Plus the roads around the hamptons are just as bad...

I know people will read this and think first world problems about the hardships are driving a Ferrari between NYC and the hamptons and around the hamptons, but u really have to see the roads to believe it.

I'm in the process of rebuilding a 930 Porsche to 420hp, hopefully that will be fun for the summer with plenty of 1987 style sidewall that i don't wince every 100 yards down the road...

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  11. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    I cld make a great argument on why there js no point owning any ferrari after 2009ish in metro nyc area.

12. Andynyc

Andynyc Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2017
    NYC!
    I drive on the grand central/ northern and lie every day. I daily a Ferrari or mclaren any time the weather is nice unless I need more than 2 seats . I can’t change the roads, so no point to stress about it. I accept it, it’s yet another high cost of living here. I’m still going to enjoy my cars or what’s the point of having them. I go through tires in my bmw and audis too . If I recall correctly, the bmw run flat tires are more expensive then tires for the exotics.

Caeruleus11, ANOpax and Forza_CP like this.
  13. msgm1

msgm1 Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2003
    NYC
    Andy you haven't went through numerous wheels on the Fezza/McLaren?

14. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Did you lower the psi to 33? If you don't you won't get the most from the added size. 33 psi cold at the most. Jerry runs his at 32.5 psi cold (65F) and that seems to be working pretty well.

I know it will not be a miracle, but it's better to try and optimize it at any rate.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

15. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    no i ordered a new set of wheels so not driving the car until they arrive (either set 9 or 10 since 2012). once the new wheels get mounted i will set the pressures to you recommendation.

i dont care if i feel a difference....as long as i dont bend the new wheels ill be a happy camper.

Napoli and of2worlds like this.
  16. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I salute your enjoying the cars, well done sir!

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

17. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    just drove back west in my escalade - the entire LIE and adjacent roads all still suck big moose balls. not sure im willing to attempt taking the FF even with my new oversized contis.

of2worlds, Napoli and bball16 like this.
  18. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    im not even sure how your marshmallow wld do!

19. vdm9

vdm9 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 11, 2014
    long island new york
    Full Name:
    vasilios
    They have turned the potholes into speed bumps and left the gravel to pepper your windshield !!!
    I can fix the wheels and replace the tires but I waited 8 weeks plus for a factory windshield and then another two weeks for an install !!!
    I am referring to 495 LIE.
    I try and take sunrise to East Hampton - its the better of the two.

bball16, Thecadster and Napoli like this.
  20. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    My goodness, can't you afford a helicopter to get from NYC to the Hamptons (Montauk)?
    Friends of mine do this all the time.

Marcel Massini

21. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Ha. Im one of those guys who enjoy driving (without potholes)

otakki and of2worlds like this.
  22. Frank_C

Frank_C F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2004
    Whistling through the wheat field in Texas
    Full Name:
    Frank Cavallo
    Great place to grow up. Great place to visit. Glad I moved to Texas. Last time I was back on the island it turned into one long shopping strip. Shame.

Bundy likes this.
  23. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    I'd never want to be in a heli. If the blades stop spinning, it's no different than sitting on a grand piano in the middle of the air.

KenU likes this.
  24. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Choppers are very safe. If the engine quit, you Auto Rotate down.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

25. Newjoint

Newjoint Formula 3

Jan 17, 2016
    Yes if the pilot is ready to do it immediately
    Then of course hope you land in a safe spot and not the Atlantic or on a house