Differences in Lusso across years? | FerrariChat

Differences in Lusso across years?

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by nauce, Apr 19, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. nauce

nauce Rookie

Apr 19, 2021
    Full Name:
    Adil Wali
    Hi friends!

I'm in the market for my first Ferrari (GTC 4 Lusso V12), and I have been eyeing a few over the last couple weeks.

I've heard from a couple friends that:
    1. There are subtle differences across years with Ferraris, depending on the model. (Generally, each new year aims to improve on small issues from the previous year.)
    2. The first model year is usually the "buggiest" and it pays to wait a couple years.

I'm looking at Lusso's across 2017-2019, and am curious about people's personal experiences with the above, especially as it pertains to the Lusso.

If you were me, would you steer clear of the 2017 model?

2. gilly6993

gilly6993 Formula 3

Aug 20, 2009
    Longmeadow, MA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I have a 2017 and besides a failed PTU, which can happen to any of the AWD V12's, it's been rock solid....personally I would aim for the newest you can afford....

3. nauce

nauce Rookie

Apr 19, 2021
    Full Name:
    Adil Wali
    Thanks for the answer! Why do you say to aim for the newest I can afford? I can afford the newest (2020), but it seems like a weird place to sit on the depreciation curve, since it seems really steep in that first couple years. Although, in fairness, that part doesn't matter if I plan to keep it forever.

Do you use your daily? And how long to plan to keep it until? Just curious! Thanks again :)

4. 350MH83

350MH83 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2014
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Max
    No reason to stay clear of the 2017 model as long as it got covered by the recalls. I believe there were 3 in total (door latches, evaporator tank, and I dont remember). The Lusso is reliable beside the battery which is an easy fix. A couple of issues with the PTU as noted. From 2019, the car can be equipped with surround cameras and adaptative cruise control.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

5. nauce

nauce Rookie

Apr 19, 2021
    Full Name:
    Adil Wali
    Thanks for this! I didn't catch the fact that the 2019 models have the surround cameras. I see it on one of the window stickers now that I look. If a car has the "Advanced Front Driving Camera," does that mean that it has the adaptive cruise control? Or is that an additional paid option that I'd need to see as a separate line on the window sticker?

Thanks!

6. gilly6993

gilly6993 Formula 3

Aug 20, 2009
    Longmeadow, MA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    If you can afford newest and want to get a step ahead of the curve I would get a one year old car. But I would say buy the spec and not the year. Meaning if you find a 2 year old car with a better spec buy it over something newer with a less desirable spec.

I’ve had my car 3 years. Not a daily and plan on keeping it long term unless another family car with a naturally aspirated V12 come along.

Another note is I did change the battery as many others have. That’s nominal though. I also have a full exhaust with 200 cats. Night and day from stock. The car in stock form just didn’t quite do it for me but that’s totally subjective.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. nauce

nauce Rookie

Apr 19, 2021
    Full Name:
    Adil Wali
    Thanks for this! I agree, it's all about the spec. I'm finding it hard to know how much to value the surround cameras and adaptive cruise control.

8. gilly6993

gilly6993 Formula 3

Aug 20, 2009
    Longmeadow, MA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    It should not be in any way a deciding factor IMO. If you get ‘em, great, if not no big deal....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. nauce

nauce Rookie

Apr 19, 2021
    Full Name:
    Adil Wali
    Thanks! This is super helpful.