308 Steering wheel adjustment/modification | FerrariChat

308 Steering wheel adjustment/modification

Discussion in '308/328' started by Wheels, Apr 19, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Wheels

Wheels Rookie

Jun 26, 2004
    Naperville, IL
    Full Name:
    Lloyd Nelson
    Help! I love my 308 GTSI and don't want to sell it, but as I get less flexible/older it's becoming more difficult to get in & out of the car. Has anyone tried or know how to modify/adjust the steering wheel/column to make the process easier so I don't have to sell the car?

Forza Ferrari...Wheels

2. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    There are threads on the subject.

3. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Is it more difficult as in the car is too low or the steering wheel gets in the way, or both?

4. wfu97

wfu97 Karting

Jul 15, 2018
    North Carolina USA
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I've never tried to move mine, but I've been told there is a way to make adjustments to the wheel.

5. Kidasters

Kidasters Formula Junior

Oct 4, 2013
    Houston, Tx
    Full Name:
    Ken
  6. AZDoug

AZDoug Formula 3

Jun 17, 2009
    Along the Verde , AZ
    Full Name:
    Doug
    I never noticed the wheel to be in the way. I do know its easier for me to get in and out of my car with the top off. I rarely install the top as the car is garaged and I don't drive in cold or wet weather.
    Doug

Rosey likes this.
  7. waymar

waymar Formula 3

Sep 2, 2008
    Northeast, PA - USA
    Full Name:
    Wayne Martin
    FWIW - I get in sideways butt first, then twist forward and swing my legs under the wheel. I’m 6’3” 180-lbs 63yrs

ginoBBi512 likes this.
  8. Wheels

Wheels Rookie

Jun 26, 2004
    Naperville, IL
    Full Name:
    Lloyd Nelson
    Thanx guys... Kidasters, since i'm 5'9" with shorter arms thought i'd try the 50mm spacer and adjust the height. What do you think?

9. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    Lose some weight ? lol

Thank you

10. Kidasters

Kidasters Formula Junior

Oct 4, 2013
    Houston, Tx
    Full Name:
    Ken
    You can try it.

I'm 6' and weigh 240. When I get in, my right foot goes in between the clutch and brake pedal The whole reason I got the spacer was because my knees/legs were hitting the wheel when I was driving. I have short arms and long legs, and the 25 mm spacer allows me to sit close enough to fully depress the clutch, but far enough back to be comfortable.

If I were you, I'd get the shorter one (easier to re-sell) and see if you like it first. If it's still too short, easily sell it and get the longer one.

11. MFlanagan

MFlanagan Karting

Dec 21, 2016
    I a 5'8", too. My method is to always slide the seat back to it's limit when I'm getting out. It makes it easier getting back in, too. Then I move it forward until my short little legs work well on the pedals.
    Mike Flanagan

12. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    mwr4440 likes this.
  13. Wheels

Wheels Rookie

Jun 26, 2004
    Naperville, IL
    Full Name:
    Lloyd Nelson
    Thanks guys, ordered the 25mm spacer and will try the adjustment...

Kidasters likes this.
  14. Du_Man

Du_Man Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 23, 2003
    Dallas, Texas
    Full Name:
    Derek
    Harry-SZ and waymar like this.
  15. Wheels

Wheels Rookie

Jun 26, 2004
    Naperville, IL
    Full Name:
    Lloyd Nelson
    Thanks Du_man this will give me a headstart while I wait for the spacer delivery...

16. JonWH

JonWH Karting

Aug 13, 2020
    Full Name:
    Jonny
    +1 for the 25mm spacer. Dispite its diminutive size, it actually makes a significant improvement in driving comfort, as well as entry and egress.
    Fitting is easy.

lm2504me and Kidasters like this.
  17. 4right

4right F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Another option is a smaller wheel in conjunction with an eccentric adapter. The challenge that taller individuals have with a 308 is the space between the steering wheel and shifter especially when the car is in reverse or 1st gear. The shifter is basically under your right knee. I just did this project over the weekend. The standard wheel is 370MM, I found a NOS 320MM Momo wheel and installed it with a eccentric adapter. The eccentric adapter raises the wheel by an additional 10MM. You can Google eccentric steering wheels and get all of the information that you need including buying options. A 50MM smaller wheel and a 10MM higher wheel results in a considerable improvement for a taller driver. The shifter is now to the right of my leg!!

Du_Man likes this.
  18. Wheels

Wheels Rookie

Jun 26, 2004
    Naperville, IL
    Full Name:
    Lloyd Nelson
    Just installed the 25mm spacer and it solved my issue. Thanks guys for all your help & thoughts...

Kidasters likes this.