Flat 12 run | FerrariChat

Flat 12 run

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by boxerman, Apr 18, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    #1 boxerman, Apr 18, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2021
    Two silver flat 12s to wake up the morning air. First serious run of the year, cars ran great and as always they love the crisp air. It took maybe 2 miles of open roads to remind why these cars are so much fun and keepers. If you want to go fast its all up to you, youre the one that needs to make the car go fast, your comitment and skill, the car does not do it for you. The level of engagement and entertainment is +500% compared to sonething newer and notionaly faster where the car does the work and you steer through a filter while holding back.

Knowing the roads and comitment in these cars is key. Provided you keep it balanced, you can drive the car up to the limit, but near the limit, introduce imabalance through corrections or heaven forbid backing off, youll go from 90% of that the car can do to way past the limit in a nano second. Get it right and the limits are high, but its you doing it, thats how race cars went fast back in the day.

the other side of the coin, the supercharged audi was clearly quicker, and btween awd and all the rest had a mistake safety net..
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Heres the kicker, the audi ended up with mechanical mayhem on a trailer and the Iltaian stallions soldierd on

Attached Files:

2. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    Whatever I broke is going to be expensive. I can’t wait to find out ... :oops:

3. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    what was broken at the audi? going too long too fast? :) or only a sensor failed and nothing goes anymore. that is why I hate those new electronic cars :(

so you see how good those old italians are :) :) :)

fridolin_pt likes this.
  4. 19633500GT

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    Very likely something within the clutch system. I put a new one in a few months ago, and hasn't seemed right. It pulls like a freight train for an 'electronic' car ;)

Here's a bigger shot, for HD experience :)

Image Unavailable, Please Login

boxerman likes this.
  5. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Heres higher res of the road, BBI in front on corner.

TR owner has a BB and a BBI. His coment was that the BBI handles better than the Tr, thats also a function of us running 275 rears on the BBs these days.(TR had 2555 rears) The BB is a shorter lighter car than TR and weight more evenly distributed, Tr is undoubtably better on highway, ac works and higher top speed(maybe), but on smaller roads and twisties a BBi works really well, with instant Tq, these cars as long as you keep them balanced, ie on power or neutral handle great with modern rubber. Nick masons BBLM is quicker round goodwood than his Gt40 on same day and same driver, a BBlm is a BB with less weight more power and aero but essentialy the same frame and suspension as road car, thats the potential in these cars. For the open road on modern tires a BB is more than enough if youre prepared to press on and work as the car expects you to.

More compressiona nd higher lift cams would be fun too, I dont love the way the power tapers after 6k rpm, and newman took in one with cams pitons and rods which pulled at least as strong as a small block chevy down low and didnt letup.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Drive em like enzo intended folks, before theyre too valauble and become collection queens, and even, use them
    The redline NS 75/90 GL5 transmsion oil is magic too,

turbo-joe likes this.
  6. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    In all fairness that audi is now pushing over 400hp and lots of Tq.

19633500GT likes this.
  7. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    in germany the greens ( political ) want to raise the fuel price to 6-7 euro each ltr fuel, so the gallon about 33 us $. just read this today in the news. horrible ! ! !
    so time to move to a country where you still can live and drive your car

boxerman and 19633500GT like this.
  8. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    clutch system? so no automatic?
    is has a dual mass flywheel? if so then not installed right

9. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    my BB has 450 hp and also a lot of torque, and is now 44 years young/old
    but has only 2 doors and not like the audi 4 doors :)

19633500GT likes this.
  10. 19633500GT

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    No DSG for me! :D

Yes, stock it would be a DMF. I have a SMF installed, good to about 450hp, technically a 'stage 2' but I hate using 'stages'

I had the best view of the day though, most of the ride sandwiched between the gorgeous BBi in front, and the lovely TR behind. Plus....the rolling CT hills aren't too shabby :)

11. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Best roads anywhere in the Ne by far, and light trraffic.
    One has to go down to NC before the roads get as good or better and south of NC its blah,. For east coast the hill country on NC is tops, NW ct a close second with arguably less traffic.

19633500GT likes this.
  12. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

I'm just pissed at myself for being a passenger on this one. But there will be more and that TR was not a bad passenger seat. It was a perfect morning, the roads were in great condition and the waffles and bacon afterwards were delish. Thanks Sean and Shelley. What's to not like.

Anyway, I'm off to FL to get some straight line adrenalin rushes from the corvette and possibly some holy craps from the go kart. :)

19633500GT likes this.
  13. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    what is DSG?

I also prefer SMF

so best position to watch and to listen :)

14. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    DSG is what VW/Audi call a dual clutch gearbox.

turbo-joe and 19633500GT like this.
  15. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    ok thank you, but a DSG has nothing to do with a DMF
    this are 2 pair of shoes

16. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Always good to see you and Rich.

As much as I say to others know what youre doing with a BB and the road , there was one curve where I had a brief "holy crap" and knew dont back off dont back off the rear will stick in just hope the front dosent wash out, balance it on that line.