2015 California T will not release my key | FerrariChat

2015 California T will not release my key

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by bokabunara, Apr 18, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bokabunara

bokabunara Rookie

Apr 18, 2021
    Full Name:
    Rob Pledger
    '15 Cali T, will not release ignition key.

Following all ways to park car, leaving it in 1st and shutting it off (or neutral), Auto-Park on or off, manually setting or not P, it will say "Waiting for Gearbox to be in Park" and will not release my key from ignition in position zero (or any other position). Gearbox is confirmed to be in Park (or Auto if AutoPark is on). Park does engage but message doesnt go away and key does not release. Somtimes I can drive around a bit more and then try again and sometimes it works. A few times I have tried that 10-15 times and never get the key to release so I just give up and drive home. Wife not happy when that happens.

This happens about 50% of the time, so when we go anywhere, we have a 50% chance of having to cancel the event and turn around and head home or choose leaving the ignition in an unlocked Ferrari while we eat out.

Anyone have any experience on how to fix this issue? Much appreciated.

2. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Have you tried pressing the release button next to the key hole on the steering column??

SV

whatheheck and rob5819 like this.
  3. bokabunara

bokabunara Rookie

Apr 18, 2021
    Full Name:
    Rob Pledger
    whatheheck likes this.
  4. rob5819

rob5819 Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2017
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Rob Barry
    This happened to me once in my 458 when I waited too long to take the key out. As you said, there is a release button on the key. Looking at the CA manual page 166 looks pretty similar:

Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. rob5819

rob5819 Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2017
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Rob Barry

Attached Files:

6. rob5819

rob5819 Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2017
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Rob Barry
    Apologies, misread the post and grabbed the wrong manual. Looking at page 85 of the California T manual I see:

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Best of luck.

Rob

7. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    Are you removing the key the moment you switch it off? If you wait a few seconds, it can assume you're trying to go into carwash mode and hold onto the key. Usually you can turn the ignition back on and off and then remove the key. I have gotten used to doing it in one smooth motion, turn the key, and pull it right out. The 20 seconds quoted in the manual doesn't seem to be accurate.

If it's getting stuck immediately, sounds like something mechanical is amiss. I assume you've done the usual battery reset procedure.

8. XSpeed

XSpeed Formula Junior

Jan 6, 2019
    Full Name:
    SX
    that's the most critical part of this.

I'd not mind getting stuck in the middle of the desert with the ferrari alone, but even the smallest mishap in front of the wife in the city, has 10x damage.

alex, SergioNyc and russellmcg like this.
  9. cfensty

cfensty Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 1, 2008
    South Carolina
    In the manual there is a release on the bottom of the steering column. It locks the key in place after 15 seconds or so. Check the manual.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

whatheheck likes this.
  10. bokabunara

bokabunara Rookie

Apr 18, 2021
    Full Name:
    Rob Pledger
    Thanks everyone for the help. It happened again and the yellow floppy button under the steering wheel DID release the key, but also kept the car in gear without the parking break set. However, that at least is a step forward if I am on level ground.