Are first time buyers allowed to buy a used limited edition Ferrari? | FerrariChat

Are first time buyers allowed to buy a used limited edition Ferrari?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by piryohae3, Apr 16, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. piryohae3

piryohae3 Rookie

Apr 16, 2021
    I know Ferrari dealerships are very particular about who gets to buy new cars and new limited models. They let first time buyers purchase used ones but what about a used limited production model like a LaFerrari for example?

2. Dave Bertrand

Dave Bertrand Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 24, 2005
    Castle Rock, CO
    I've done some looking into what it takes to buy a limited production F-car brand new. It actually isn't the dealership that decides, it's Ferrari. To order one, you have to be approved, which isn't easy. Usually you have to demonstrate to Ferrari that you're a good brand ambassador, that you have owned other Ferraris previously and/or have a collection, and you've gained their trust in some manner. Buying one requires you to show the car some number of times/year, and you can't sell it for some designated period of time. When showing the car, you have to wear Ferrari-branded articles and promote the brand. All of these things are specifically written into the sales contract. In other words, to buy a special model, you have to have an established relationship with Ferrari first before they add you to "the list". Some of what I just said may not be completely accurate, but that's the gist of it. There's a youtube video that I watched a couple of years ago where a guy talks all about what it takes to get on Ferrari's list. That list includes some big-time collectors and Saudi princes. It apparently also includes James May, formerly of Top Gear, who owns (or owned) a La Ferrari. He praised the brand endlessly on the show and his highly visible position in the automotive media probably accounts for a lot. Or maybe he bought it used. Heck if I know.

I'm not sure about buying a used one, but since you're not buying it from Ferrari, but rather from a dealer's preowned inventory, I would imagine anyone can buy one who has the means. Ferrari can't control the secondary market, except for the aforementioned requirement that the owner not flip the car shortly after taking delivery when new.

As far as I know, there are no restrictions on buying a new normal production car, either used or new.

Il Co-Pilota likes this.
  3. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    The only limitation is in one’s wallet.

ScottS, paulchua and plastique999 like this.
  4. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Justin Bieber is on the list I suppose? Doesn't he have one? Sammy Hagar..also

5. Dave Bertrand

Rossa Subscribed

Dec 24, 2005
    Castle Rock, CO
    Yeah, Sammy....remember this?

6. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    If you want to pay $3 mil for a 5 year old car that Ferrari sold for $1.5 mil, the seller would be more than happy to take your money. :p

ScottS, bball16 and Texas Forever like this.
  7. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Oh, don't forget to buy a new battery for your used LF at a kool 170 Grand.
    Basically lunch money only......

Marcel Massini

8. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    I wonder how much the New Power warranty costs ;)

9. Dave Bertrand

Rossa Subscribed

Dec 24, 2005
    Castle Rock, CO
    True, but when it's 10 years old it may be a $4M car.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using FerrariChat.com mobile app

10. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    Umm, not so sure this all true. The part I do know is that if you want a limited edition - super car like the La Ferrari, those usually go to Known collectors - or customers of Ferrari. Ferrari Spa has some input on who gets the car -but ultimately the dealer has to have the allocation in the first place. If the dealer does not sell - previous limited edition cars - its unlikely they will = unless the dealer owner decided to purchase... but then you end up on the "list" and then it comes down to money etc. Specifications for the limited edition cars are pretty Ferrari driven... I doubt they are going to let you have a purple laF with custom Greem Crocodile seats etc... unless you know Piero or Elkan...

As with most new car sales agreements, you are prohibited from flipping the car... you'll likely have to sell back to the originating dealer - or at least in the dealer network. If you don't abide by this = you don't get invited again....

the wearing branded merch... never heard of that. you do get a "strike price" for a sale back ... but that is as you would think - private and negotiable to a degree.

if you want to participate in the FXX Clienti program then Ferrari has more say on what you wear, what you can do = who can look and touch your car. I think after 3 years - you can have your FXX delivered to store the car at your home... but again running it is up to Ferrari, per contract. regardless this is a very expensive proposition, and most of the FXX program is kind of spoken for ... same for Clienti F1... but if you have enough $$$$$$ anything can happen.... they are for profit. ( as a share holder - more power to them= please spend freely!) The Fxx program has some very specific technical development NDA language around it... so that is why Ferrari has a lot of say in who - where - when you get to use your car.....

buying a used La Ferrari is about knowing who has one for sale, and do you have $$$$$$ to make it happen. Servicing them is as easy as making the appointment at an Authorized Ferrari dealer... ( assuming they have someone on staff trained in the car. ) FNA would supply any data - support just like for any other car.

Buying a 288, F-40, F-50, Enzo is just the same... just $$$$$$$$ and the older cars you really need someone with the experience who knows them... once you get into the electronic age cars... dealer is the place.

The cars that you need $$$$$$$$ and connections are the ones like 250 GTO, 330P/5 those are exclusive clubs - and you need to know the right people that know the right people. very few come to auction - most are privately sold .. and kept that way. to my knowledge the Factory so far does not get too involved - Classiche can validate / verify but I think the goal is / was to make that the clearing house for those cars.... but so far this is still the realm of the broker.

Themaven likes this.
  11. Doc_Dent

Doc_Dent Karting

Mar 2, 2015
    Mmmmmmm....
    Let me put my answer "initially" in this sentence:
    "$$$ in your pocket is the what really matters the most." IMO

As for "new" directly from Ferrari, as long as your wallet is thick enough, you could easily buy what ever "X Y Z" cars to qualify and get approved for what ever "special" model.
    "Dralerships would be welcoming you with roses".
    *If you are an older costumer of Ferrari, with such THICK WALLET portfolio, most probably you already qualify!

As for "used", same old story, as long you are willing to pay the price for the seller, have a great SHOPPING SPREE,,,

12. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Costumer or customer?
    (just asking)

Marcel Massini

13. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    The days of the US dealer games are coming to a close. You can buy most things new these days, and most certainly used. If they play games, just go somewhere else. Don't stand for it.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

14. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    You are guessing, and most is not true.

If we are talking cars like the Pista and Pista Spider, it is all up to the dealer. They simply get a limited number of allocations, but those they can pretty much dk with as they see fit.

Then there are some cars like the 812 VS. The dealer is instructed that to choose from their list of VIP and Top clients. But the dealer is in charge of who on the list gets a car.

Then there are halo cars. Those are by invitation. Ferrari chooses the clients, albeit sometimes a dealer will contact Ferrari if they have a client they think will be interesting for Ferrari to consider, but who might not be on Ferraris radar.

All used cars are up for grabs, and any dealer who plays games on used cars are doing their customers a huge disservice.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Themaven likes this.
  15. Dave Bertrand

Rossa Subscribed

Dec 24, 2005
    Castle Rock, CO
    No, I am not guessing. I don't make up crap and spread it as truth. As I indicated in my post, the information I provided is based on what I have read and learned. If it's wrong, fine. But don't tell me I'm guessing when you don't have a clue about the source of my info.

16. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    #16 Il Co-Pilota, Apr 20, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2021
    Fair enough, guessing was the wrong word to use. Apologies for that.

Would it be fair to say it's an assumption?

17. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Capt. Slow has a La Ferrari? Shocking.;)