Boomerang Driver’s Door Lock | FerrariChat

Boomerang Driver’s Door Lock

Discussion in '308/328' started by ChevyDave, Apr 15, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ChevyDave

ChevyDave Karting

Dec 21, 2019
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Full Name:
    Dave W
    All,
    Searched the forums but didn’t find a post that specifically addressed my issue. There were “a lot” of posts on door locks and door mechanisms, so apologies if I missed one that previously discussed this.
    Car is an ‘83 QV and my issue has to do with locking the car using the key:
    1) I twist the key towards 3 o’clock and both doors lock.
    2) As I return the key to 12 o’clock to remove it, both doors unlock again before I get to vertical.
    I’ve had the car a little over a year and never experienced this issue before. The action of the cylinder is very stiff and “gummy” if that makes sense and I’m thinking 38 year-old grease is probably the culprit, but wanted to touch base with those more experienced than me.
    Thoughts on causes and solutions?
    Thanks,
    Dave

2. Miklas

Miklas Karting

Dec 10, 2018
    Luxembourg
    Try something simple first: Unwind the door locking knob a few turns to make sure that it's not preventing the lock from engaging fully.
    If that doesn't help, try to clean out the mechanism with graphite lube.

3. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    I would shoot some (paint safe) electronic contact cleaner in there and work the lock numerous times and see what happens. The contact cleaner will evaporate cleanly and you can then lubricate the lock. If the contact cleaner doesn't sort out the problem you have lost nothing except 5 minutes of your time! :)

4. waymar

waymar Formula 3

Sep 2, 2008
    Northeast, PA - USA
    Full Name:
    Wayne Martin
    Could be worn bushing on the bracket ends. FWIW I never lock mine. If they are going to break in they will do more damage if the doors are locked. I have gear shift plate lock and a kill switch for fuel/ignition. The plate lock is a great visual deterrent ....

ChevyDave likes this.
  5. ChevyDave

ChevyDave Karting

Dec 21, 2019
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Full Name:
    Dave W
    Appreciate the suggestions everyone. I’ll give the contact cleaner a try and go from there.
    Miklas, the locking knob may be contributing to the issue, but the lock barrel is difficult (has always been difficult) to turn through its entire throw, so I think there’s a more systemic cause to the stiffness...but I guess I’ll find out in the next couple of days. :p

6. Tustin308

Tustin308 Rookie

May 20, 2019
    Tustin, CA
    Full Name:
    Arthur Trejo
    Let us know what your solution is. I recently found I have similar problem with my driver side door lock. When i turn the key to the 3 o’clock position the door knob will not go down. When i push it by hand i have the result. It goes down slightly and comes back up. The passenger side works fine. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

7. ChevyDave

ChevyDave Karting

Dec 21, 2019
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Full Name:
    Dave W
    All,
    Mike’s suggestion of contact cleaner did the trick. Just the tiniest shot in the lock barrel and it felt like a brand new mechanism: free, easy, and smooth.
    Many thanks to all who chimed in....
    And, as an added bonus, here’s a couple of snaps from today’s “Sunday Drive” to The Brothers Collection. Enjoy.
    Dave
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. Dinzo22

Dinzo22 Rookie

Jun 20, 2020
    Hey, mine did this until I opened the doors and closed them hard…it was a signal that the door wasn’t shut all the way, even though it seemed to be. Once I started closing the doors harder, the problem stopped.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app