Rock 'n Stroll . . . The Stroller Thread. | Page 191 | FerrariChat

Rock 'n Stroll . . . The Stroller Thread.

Discussion in 'F1' started by tifoso2728, Mar 1, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Seems about right

ingegnere likes this.
  2. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    If there is that fear, he should stop immediately. Respect of the risks is ok, fear is not.

3. kes7u

kes7u Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2017
    Shorewood, MN
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Well, the good news is that with Stroll and Vettel at the helm, Ferrari needn't worry about AM in the Constructor's chase!

Kevin

Sent from my SM-G930P using FerrariChat.com mobile app

jpalmito likes this.
  4. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Vettel was good with a blown diffuser. He seemed better able to trust that under full throttle prior to the apex, the car would indeed stick throughout the corner because the rear downforce would be there. In his Ferrari years, it seems like he expected the rear end to stick like his old Red Bull (under the previous regulations) did and that wasn't the case. He seems not to adapt well to a rear end that isn't completely planted and the Ferraris have looked difficult to drive for a while.

As to the crashing, like running into Ocon... I don't think even Vettel knows what he was thinking there. Somehow he managed to blame Ocon (who was on the racing line and never deviated), but it was 100% Vettel's fault that they collided.

All the best,
    Andrew.

5. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Lance is the better driver. Gotta give the kid credit.

tifosi12 likes this.
  6. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Sad to say for me as a Vettel fan. I do think he's a blisteringly fast driver, but it has to be the right car for him. A great driver can drive anything fast. I hope he can recover and beat Stroll for his own dignity.

stavura, Zenit99, jpalmito and 3 others like this.
  7. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Agreed on all.

In addition I do think he lacks race craft. He was superfast in the RB and that often gave him pole so he didn't have to bother with car to car fights. In the Ferrari years he had to and often ended up with egg on his face.

That said I think he can still do good things, even in the Aston Martin and the season only just started. I'm more worried about the car being able to deliver anything at all. Szafnauer just gave an interview saying they haven't abandoned 2021 yet. The fact that he seems it is necessary to say that after just one race raises doubts over the car. And if it turns out to be a step back from last year's car, a very disappointed Vettel might just throw in the towel.

william and NeuroBeaker like this.
  8. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

The 2021 Aston is simply the 2020 Racing Point car (a copy of the 2019 Mercedes, we are told) with a different livery and just a few mods,

In that case, can one assume that it could have been penned in 2018, which makes it a 4 years old design?

Or is it stretching things too far?

9. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    SEb has amazing racecraft, he pulles some amazing moves in 2015, and showed Elton how to drive in the rain back in 2008, Seb is the whole package, but for some reason, he lost it, i saw it happened before, to Alboreto for example, in 85 he was every bit as good as Prost, and shoul have won the championship, but after that, he never looked the same, like Arnoux, blindingly fast at Renault and in 83 at Ferrari, after that he was a shadow of his former self, i don't know why, but i this something changes inside their heads, even Kimi, he was already slower in 2007 than he had been at mclaren, and he kept losing speed, bit by bit...He's still very good, but far, far from his best days.

Bas and paulchua like this.
  10. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    I don't know much about Stroll other than he was born a few feet from home plate. That said, can't blame him for his station of birth (good or bad) - so far I have not seen any spoiled kid behavior, but as I said, I don't know much about him.

Are there any character reasons for the disdain?

Nuvolari, william and tifosi12 like this.
  11. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    I jumped in when Seb came from RB to Ferrari. The reason foremost of my anger is when he started blaming everything but himself. To me, that's a big no-no.

The tipping point was when he rammed into Hamilton in Baku,

From that point forward, nessun rispetto.

He lost his mojo, simple as that. He can only look to himself (not Lecler not SF) to answer why?

SF lIterally gave him a car that was cheating modified and he still couldn't pull it off.

william and tifosi12 like this.
  12. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Not really. I "met" him once at COTA. Pretty normal "kid". Except that he is super rich and drives F1 :)

Some people don't support him because they think he was gifted his F1 seat. While technically there is some truth to that, the guy first had to prove himself by winning in lower formulae to get a super license. Furthermore many of the current and previous drivers had to buy their way into F1. And while he is probably never going to win a WDC he has improved over the years and his results show it.

paulchua and william like this.
  13. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Agreed. I was a big Seb fan at RB but his peak was his 4th title. Thereafter the decline started and at a rapid pace. Baku was ridiculous as was Montreal at the end of the race. For somebody so smart (I rate him higher than many other drivers) he shows some immature moments not behooving a multiple WDC.

paulchua likes this.
  14. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    During his career the car he sits in has improved (Williams-->RP-->TP), but not his driving. He has always been a good starter, I'll grant him that. Otherwise his racing skills are still non-existent, as is his overall driving. Even when presented with an easy DRS pass he always looks out of control in the braking zone and through the turn. On-boards always show very twitchy hands. Not impressed given his growing time in F1.

15. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
  16. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

His attempted pass on Norris last season at Portugal was utter amateur. See Norris' view on this in the press. See Ricci view on his very sad attempted pass in Austria last year. His peers dont see skill............................

17. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Thank you, sir, for your response.

I grew up poor, I get it, and I had seen my share of privileged folks get advantageous. However, I hold it against the rich as long nothing from illegal. I think Stroll seems to work hard, though, and he doesn't seem like he's a jerk. That's good enough for me!

:)

18. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    It's very odd to see somebody fall so far. From 4-time world champion to crashing all the time. I don't understand.

19. Metastable

Metastable Formula Junior

Imola FP2 was interesting.
    Bottas ahead of Hamilton
    Sainz ahead of Leclerc
    Stroll ahead of Vettel
    Latifi ahead of Russell

william likes this.
  20. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Stroll beats Vettel again in qualifying.

No Mazepin intervention this time. Simply based on speed.

21. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    The Capital of The United States of America
    Full Name:
    Willis
    "Stroll beats Vettel again in qualifying."

Get used to it.

tifosi12 likes this.
  22. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Well I hope so, but I'm not sure. This time they were fairly evenly matched. Stroll kept the upper hand, but only by a couple of tenths. As Seb gets more comfortable in the car he might turn things around. Should be an interesting back and forth as the season progresses.

23. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    The Capital of The United States of America
    Full Name:
    Willis
    I disagree. It may say Aston Martin on the car but the reality is it's the Stroll Racing team. Nothing more, nothing less.

Bas likes this.
  24. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Yeah, so?

The team isn't artificially slowing down Seb. Or they would have done it last year with Perez.

25. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Reports were Lance was given updates first, parts etc. I am not surprised by this. In reality Vettel is a guest. Useful until he is not. Its a total family project. The expendable Sergio has much to say about this.

Vettel complained about his release from Ferrari. The release of Sergio was probably less polite overall.

Vettel was slower. Lance was a touch faster. In the race we expect Vettel experience to assist him. Its much harder when you are P13. The fear was always how Stroll might be faster than Vettel. The real story is how much faster Perez was. Now can actually show it. Vettel is now a distraction in F1 and Aston.

ingegnere and jgonzalesm6 like this.