Sales Tax On New Car | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Sales Tax On New Car

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Rossocorsa1, May 19, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. axlesofevil

axlesofevil Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    If you pay $300k/yr in state income tax that means you're making what.... $3MM in income per year? I think you can afford to pay taxes on your toys. IMHO.

Maybe this is more a topic for the Politics and Religion sub-forum. I've gotten a lot of flack there for my bleeding-heart-liberal ways. :D:p

Have a great weekend.

2. DonJohnson

DonJohnson Rookie

Oct 30, 2020
    Full Name:
    Don Johnson
    I have no problem with liberals, I have many friends that are, most of them came from money so they have no real idea the sacrifices necessary to build something of substance from nothing...

I came from nothing, put myself thru school at night, worked ungodly hours every week and managed to build a nice little business. I work way to hard to piss my money away and give it up without some measure of effort to protect what I can. I pay more than my share and then some.

c8spidey, Gh21631, Drson and 5 others like this.
  3. axlesofevil

axlesofevil Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Boomhauer, mkraft3003 and James R like this.
  4. James R

James R Karting
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 6, 2020
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    James Richards
    Good post. Ditto.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

DonJohnson likes this.
  5. Chizz

Chizz Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 21, 2017
    Atlanta
    I hear you but no one is going to cry for you. Obviously, you are doing well. I’m sure the Camry person would trade with you in a second. Both income and cars.
    I hate paying so much in taxes but I’m grateful that I do. No one makes us buy these cars it is a choice. So we pay a consumption tax.

Boomhauer and Boots like this.
  6. Boots

Boots Formula 3

Jan 17, 2020
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Jake
    Well said.

Boomhauer and Chizz like this.
  7. James R

James R Karting
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 6, 2020
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    James Richards
    But would they trade all the work effort it took to get there? Many will not. Those that will usually get there.

8. PA32Pilot

PA32Pilot Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 5, 2020
    Glendora, CA
    Full Name:
    Jamie Kirk
    I refuse to pay California anything more than I absolutely have to. If I can avoid it I will.

Our state pisses money away. Our roads are junk, schools are trash and politicians are more concerned about making sure criminals feel good about their outfits than citizens safety. They get elected by making deals with the unions and then raising taxes and fees to pay for it.

California can eat a bag of socks, I’d rather spend 5x fighting then then giving them a dime. Starve the beast.

HH11, michaelo, jamie140 and 5 others like this.
  9. Chizz

Chizz Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 21, 2017
    Atlanta
    Not all people who aren’t wealthy are lazy. A lot of times most of us are the benefactors of hard work and a good break. Unfortunately there are a lot of people who work their butts off everyday and will never be able to do some of the things we do on the Ferrari Forum. I choose to thank God for my privileges rather than assume I deserve what I have over someone else because of who I am, what I do, or how hard I work.

10. James R

James R Karting
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 6, 2020
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    James Richards
    Please do not interpret my post to not understand that there are very different opportunities afforded to everyone. I too thank God everyday for His bountiful blessings in my life and it is only because of Him that any of us have what we have. But the spirit of what is being said in this thread is that there are many manipulations of our society that penalize those who do put more effort into their work and make different decisions that thankfully lead them to better results. I also believe in helping those who are less fortunate as my wife and I do very much, but our system of taxes is so imbalanced and there is so much waste. We should have Chick-Fil-A handle our government.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

11. Chizz

Chizz Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 21, 2017
    Atlanta
    LOVE that reply!!!

James R likes this.
  12. gilly6993

gilly6993 Formula 3

Aug 20, 2009
    Longmeadow, MA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    The Camry person may have a ton more money than the Ferrari person. What someone drives often does but tell the entire story

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. LI2782

LI2782 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 19, 2010
    doubt they’d trade the amount of work and sacrifices required

DonJohnson likes this.
  14. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    that's right. either you pay full in the state you are registering the car at, or simply the difference between what you first paid at out of state and what you should have paid at your own state of you were to purchase instate.

15. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    that means you actually are not in the financial situation that you can afford a toy that requires 50k tax. You can afford a toy that is 50k cheaper so you can pay the tax you are legally required to pay like everyone else. case closed.

axlesofevil likes this.
  16. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    who don't you move then, like those big corps moving to Texas? I considered that too. Not paying tax is different from civil disobedience.

17. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    Couldn't agree with you more!

I love it when people complain so much about taxes and then moan about poor roads, bridges, etc. Avoiding the taxes owed is making you part of the problem! If you're unhappy in the state where you live, then move. I promise you we won't miss your attitude!

18. Chizz

Chizz Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 21, 2017
    Atlanta
    The Camry guy probably does have a ton more money than me but I guarantee you he doesn’t smile as much as I do in my Ferrari. :D

19. PA32Pilot

PA32Pilot Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 5, 2020
    Glendora, CA
    Full Name:
    Jamie Kirk
    Corporations make their headquarters outside California, they don’t stop making money in the state they just look don’t pay all the taxes. Gee, kinda like what I do.

Elderly parents here, I’ll be out as soon as I can without abandoning family. Until the man I’ll try and not pay California as much tax as possible.

DonJohnson and dustman like this.
  20. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    I totally know what you mean.

21. DonJohnson

DonJohnson Rookie

Oct 30, 2020
    Full Name:
    Don Johnson
    No it means that I came from nothing and regardless of how much wealth I amass $50k will always mean something to me. Your comment/position is typical of those that come from money.

LI2782 likes this.
  22. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    actually the obvious difference between us is our perspective of how much you think other entitie deserves the money you made. I actually surmise a good number of people here are self made 1% of the society. As much as you deserve respect to your self made success, but it by itself does not justify your way of cheating taxes, because I think you will agree that you are not the only person who is self made millionaire or 10 millionaire and others would pay tax where it is due, myself included. It was just a convenient excuse that made you feel both good and justified. Stop feeling entitled not to pay tax just because you feel that you worked hard enough to get to where you are now. Work harder to the point you can pay this 50k tax without whining and cheating like a little kid.

23. DonJohnson

DonJohnson Rookie

Oct 30, 2020
    Full Name:
    Don Johnson
    You don't want to enter into a open minded 2 sided discussion with someone, you simply name call and insult someone to make your point. Real adult.

24. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    I just call spade a spade. Calling you whining like a child when you cheated on tax is not name calling but rather stating the obvious. In my eyes, only child and losers avoid to bear responsibilities and find ways to cheat, no matter what that responsibilities are. I did not call you losers because obviously you are paying your employees, but are you whining and cheating? yes, thus you are acting like a child.

Plus what open minded discussion do you want? You came in and proudly shared your trick of cheating taxes and then defended yourself by surmising that I came from place of money because I paid taxes like everyone else. Well, you can have that open minded discussion you deserved with IRS and DMV.

literally, GTFO.

25. Bad Boys 1

Bad Boys 1 Karting

Mar 22, 2020
    Full Name:
    Michael M
    But everyone agrees it's ok for a state to collect sales tax every time a vehicle changes hands.

A boat salesman told me that once a high dollar boat sells for the second time , the state made
    more than the manufacturers.

Lots of high dollars cars will sell 2 or three times in a few years....why are they entitled to keep making money on it.
    First guy should pay and each buyer after should pay a percentage.

Just my 2 cents...