Why didn't Cadillac Sixteen (2003 concept car) get green lighted? | FerrariChat

Why didn't Cadillac Sixteen (2003 concept car) get green lighted?

Discussion in 'Special Projects & Concept Cars' started by bitzman, Sep 8, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    I woulda thunk that it would put it head and shoulders above any Lincoln. Or was the possibility of an inline sixteen just too much to imagine in mass production? I only found one design rendering, is there more on the net? Was this Bob Lutz' baby? Was it a running car? In your opinion (let us know if you are a former designer) is it too late to revive it? I think Cadillac needs something to liven itself up.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

k wright and NürScud like this.
  2. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    It is a V16 and not inline 16. There is at least 1 running version.

It's a beautiful sedan. That, the Cien, and Elmiraj are some of my all time favorite car designs.

k wright likes this.
  3. Tenney

Tenney F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2001
    Cadillac haven't had a Cadillac in their line-up in a while (ie a car to rival anyone else's luxury flagship) - which the Sixteen, Cien and Elmiraj would be. Maybe make 'em electric - silent running and all the torque of 500 ci, and then some - and maybe revive the equity in Fleetwood, Sedan DeVille, and so forth ...

sherrillt likes this.
  4. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    They had some beautiful concepts. That and the convertible one would have been amazing, but im not sure there was a market for the price point it would have come in at (esp back then..).

I love the current Cadillacs. Saw the big one in Vegas, and it looked so much better than anything Cadillac built in the past 40 years.

Boomhauer likes this.
  5. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    I’ll give you sixteen reasons why.

I also like the current Cadillac’s. I rented the CT6 to drive out to Palm Springs in and it was fantastic.

Boomhauer likes this.
  6. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Just picked up my new daily driver, '20 CT6. So far so good.

k wright, crinoid and Jeffg11 like this.
  7. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    Cool! Looking forward to hearing about your experience with it.

jm2 likes this.
  8. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
  9. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    jm2 likes this.
  10. GHG

GHG Formula 3

Jan 29, 2008
    The CTS-V Wagons are some of my favorite cars from the past decade. And you can still get them with three pedals!

They've definitely made some beautiful concepts over the years. I saw this Ciel Convertible several years ago and the road presence was unbelievable.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    That's what a Cadillac should be! Like in the 1950s when Caddies of all varieties turned heads. Can you say "King of the road?"

jm2 likes this.
  12. NYC Fred

NYC Fred F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 28, 2010
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Fred C
    I, too would have loved to see Cadillac back in the V-16 business. However, when we're concerned about even NA V-12s surviving? Not in the cards.
    Midwest gentlemen selling his V-16 Caddy collection. Did someone say "presence"?

Image Unavailable, Please Login

https://journal.classiccars.com/2019/11/10/seven-iconic-v-16-cadillacs-rms-sothebys/

((The cars come from noted collector John D. Groendyke of Enid, Oklahoma, who is well-known in the classic car hobby for owning some of the finest American and European cars from the classic era, including 17 significant examples of the top-rung Cadillacs powered by V16 engines.))

jm2 likes this.
  13. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    I'm dreaming of a new and very elegant Coupé de Ville*

*only two doors please!

14. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    I love those photos. It shows who's boss. They need to make those available for sale asap.

15. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    They produced thousands of them in multiple colors. I actually own 4 of them.

Attached Files:

rnelson, Boomhauer and energy88 like this.
  16. Jaguar36

Jaguar36 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2010
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    Cadillac/GM just isn't setup to do a low volume car like this. Their dealers would not be able to provide the level of service that someone buying a $500k car would be looking for. They don't have the manufacturing skill to produce a car with the level of fit and finish that it would require. They have too much overhead on engineering, testing and certification for a low volume car to be profitable.

Obviously they could develop that capability but it would be too costly to ever be profitable and so they choose to invest their money elsewhere, just using these concepts to generate buzz and help drive the sales of their regular cars.

17. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    Under msrp I hope? Cadillac (and most others) are desperate to move sedans in today's SUV dominate culture.

tbakowsky and jm2 like this.
  18. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    I get a discount ;)

Boomhauer likes this.
  19. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    I think the comments about American cars being too expensive are out the window as the CT5 Cadillac Blackwing for 2022 is going to be over $100,000 for the top for the line. And wasn't there some 2019 Corvette that was over 100K? That's not too much when Ferrari has some new model that's over 500K. So just over 100K is not unreal anymore.

But about the Ciel. They never showed it with a convertible top in the up position--I am afraid if they tried to stretch an existing top they would have the problem Bentley did when they had a Mercedes top (by Pininfarina) fitted on the Azure series I and the top breaks often--too long a distance for that design to reach, So I can't take the Ciel as a plausible design until they can show me a top that works. I think I could make a '76 Eldo convertible look something like that, sorta/kinda (I expect some heat on that) . Go to You Tube and there's a video of two couples toddling around Monterey in the Ciel.

Google Cadillac Ciel Concept Promo Video

PS in the design drawing they didn't use the side vent but seems like rest of design is close to the rendering. Also in the design renderings the windshield is cut so low it reminds me of of the two seater Phantom drawing that supposedly came from Rolls. That design I like because nothing radiates "Captain of industry"more than a big car with a tiny cockpit.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Stay tuned.

21. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    jm2 likes this.
  22. lambchop

lambchop Karting

Apr 29, 2005
    That dark grey rendering is stop-me-in-my-tracks fabulous. Give me that, all electric whisper quiet and 400-500 miles of range. Yummy.

Side note, was at a hip outdoor live work play spot and they multiple Tesla only chargers and spots. I think the boat being missed is, unless I've misunderstood, GM, Ford, Rivian, etc. are not plug compatible. Big mistake in my mind,

23. k wright

k wright Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 4, 2004
    North East TN
    Full Name:
    Kent Wright
    The perfectly stunning Ciel does not have a top.

24. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    My guess/rumor mill is that cadillac will get the EV version. Which makes sense since cadillac is going 100% EV