Worst Paved Roads | FerrariChat

Worst Paved Roads

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Newjoint, Apr 15, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Newjoint

Newjoint Formula 3

Jan 17, 2016
    We all have driven and damaged our performance vehicles on paved roads and bridges in such horrific shape which should be labeled for off road vehicles use only. This is our taxes at work- and our government inability to maintain decent roads and bridges.
    I have seen comments off and on about bad roads on FerrariChat (most recent about I495- Long Island Expressway)but would like to start this thread specifically to comment on particularly bad roads we have driven anywhere and hopefully save a few Ferraris along the way
    I’ll start it off with the streets in SOHO NYC-like Wooster and Prince- cobblestone streets- slippery in the wet, noisy at their best- but here seem to have undergone upheaval from what ordinarily would be earthquakes but in this case contractors doing underground work and leaving them in shambles. Even with road speeds kept in the single digits due to traffic- bottoming out and wheel damage is a constant danger.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

2. Viperjoe

Viperjoe F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Many of the roads SE Pennsylvania are straight out of a 3rd world $#!+hole. Staying vigilant and navigating around potholes is a major detriment to the joy of driving. Poor road conditions are a great example of the Government waste and misuse of the tax revenues.

3. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    I would imagine every large one than areas would suffer from this. In Houston, you are driving on wagon trail like roads while looking up at multi-million dollar homes. But in the ‘burbs you have apartment dwellers driving on roads as smooth as glass.

4. Jaguar36

Jaguar36 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2010
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    I've actually been impressed with the road conditions as of late in South NJ. We've had a couple of mild winters in a row and that seems to have let the DoT get ahead of things. The roads around here are generally in good condition now.

5. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    pick any road in houston within beltway 8, and it is a potholed bumpy mess somewhere.
    they will dig up a newly paved road within weeks, just to make it a bumpy mess.

the family go-to car is a mercedes wagon - driven by 4 different people over the last 55k miles in 5 years.....18 tires, 6 rims, and 2 axles broken.....so far.

6. aatk

aatk Rookie

Nov 24, 2017
    Detroit. Broke a radiator hitting a pothole there. No joke I could park in some of them.

alum04org likes this.
  7. PMiranda

PMiranda Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2004
    Austin, TX
    New Orleans. Or... almost anywhere in Louisiana, come to think of it.

8. Hocakes

Hocakes Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2010
    FL
    Wheeling, WV entire area. Roads are destroyed from heavy gas & oil equipment trucks. Most have probably not been paved since the 60s from the look of it. Not exaggerating. They look like the surface of the moon.

9. bball16

bball16 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 2, 2011
    NY LI FtL
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Long Island Expressway from the Mid Town Tunnel to exit 72 is a disgrace.

Lusso123 and djs308 like this.
  10. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    Outside Auburn MA area on I90 there’s a pothole (cavern) I swear I’ve hit at least twice. The second time I braced and have no idea how it didn’t rip my front end off

11. Newjoint

Newjoint Formula 3

Jan 17, 2016
    The outbound upper roadway of the 59th street bridge NYC-concrete roadway with sharp edge craters- chews up tires like candy- for my SL65 it was 4 rims and tires all at once. That car went through 18 wheels and 21 tires in a 3 year period until I got rid of it-

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

12. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    Road are just like every other product today, built cutting corners in the name of profit or speed. Municipalities/counties or states dont seem to hold the builders accountable and a road built in just 5 years is just re bid/re built and we pay again.

308 milano likes this.
  13. Jb-Slow

Jb-Slow Karting

May 11, 2020
    The entire greater seattle area

14. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I'll nominate NJ and NYC for sure. I remember when I first visited Manhattan one winter after my wife moved there. There was a pothole in front of her very new high rise apartment building near Lincoln Center that could swallow a Yellow Cab. It had all sorts of folding signs, cones and whatever shoved into it to keep cars away from it. It's why my daily has been a 99 K2500 Suburban with 15" rims and huge tires for the last 17 years. Nothing fazes it ... but It does wear out suspension pieces pretty fast.

Lusso123 likes this.
  15. jjtjr

jjtjr Formula Junior

Aug 29, 2016
    Vermont
    Full Name:
    john truskowski
    I go to Maine several times a year and can't believe how Mass leaves the bridges on 495! The elevation difference is so much that they are jumps, you can see all of the skidmarks from tractor trailers on the brakes locking up their tires. I now know where they are and I get into the right lane, slow down and watch the mayhem.

19633500GT likes this.
  16. Stevenb

Stevenb F1 Rookie

Aug 5, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Los Angeles. The whole city

17. flat_plane_eddie

flat_plane_eddie F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    Where are you driving in LA that the roads are that bad? If there's one thing that I can't complain about in California, it's that our roads are fairly decent. Sure, the highways that see heavy truck traffic by the ports are bad on the inner lanes but besides that we have it pretty well.

18. Stevenb

Stevenb F1 Rookie

Aug 5, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Sunset blvd (lots is fixed but boy was it bad), the 405, Venice, Brentwood, pacific palisades and some south of Ventura in The Valley

19. JCR

JCR F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2005
    H-Town, Tejas
    Houston is the worst in Texas.

20. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    I'd like to nominate downtown minneapolis as having some pretty bad roads. The 2 inch "clunk clunk" as you go over EVERY gap in the road gets tiring after 3 minutes. It would be nice if the high taxes actually had something to show for it.

However Houston is legendary...

21. J-P

J-P Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2007
    #21 J-P, Apr 23, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2021
    I used to think LA was bad...until I drove in Dallas. Horrific.

The comment above about cutting corners and governments not holding contractors accountable, who then get another contract to redo the roads, is quite apropos. They day the road is finished it is already extremely bad. Never seen anything like it.

Not only is the quality of the roads bad, but so is the overall design and engineering. I have a lot of bad things to say about California, but CalTrans' engineering is not one of them.

Dallas highways were designed by a five-year-old throwing a handful of spaghetti on the ground. There is absolutely no way Dallas could handle anywhere near the capacity that the overcrowded LA freeways do. The quality of the local individual driver does not help, either.

22. Doc_Dent

Doc_Dent Karting

Mar 2, 2015
    Holding (contractors/maintenance comp) responsible for any damage resulting from road faults in strict yet direct and rapid compensating means, is the only efficient solution for "road disasters" we have in any city/state/country IMO.

23. alum04org

alum04org F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 23, 2009
    Plymouth, MI
    Michigan's roads are abysmal.
    However, not so much as one travels north.
    When younger I loved to drive at night. Now I find my night-sight has diminished to the point that it is almost impossible to scan for potholes, frost heaves, and expansion joints before striking them. Hence, if I drive at night it'll be my daily-driver only.

24. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Thank God we don't have this problem in Canada. Perhaps your government should stop sending billions of $$ to terrorist states and instead invest it in your roads/infrastructure

25. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    I-94 in western Michigan is really bad. For miles and miles.

Matt

alum04org and 375+ like this.