Titanium 308 Exhaust | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Titanium 308 Exhaust

Discussion in '308/328' started by RAMMER, Apr 12, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    BTW a Superformance exhaust IS a Nouvolari one for less money. Excellent quality. I have one and it is superb (replaced my mild steel Ansa unit)

Titanium is tricky to weld and can work harden if it is not done properly. This can lead to the system cracking easily. Also the commercially available Titanium parts are not true high end Ti so the weight gains are limited.

f355spider likes this.
  2. Andy 308GTB

Andy 308GTB F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Jun 2, 2004
    Essex, UK
    Full Name:
    Andy M
    I've never understood the point of the final 'split' into 2 pipes at each tip on a Tubi exhaust. Presumably, it is purely cosmetic - which puts me right off.
    I'd prefer 2 single pipes - if they did look a bit feeble, they could be made a slightly larger diameter.

3. 48969

48969 Karting

Jun 27, 2020
    Chicago, Illinois
    Full Name:
    J. Michael Collins
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

If you go custom, I’m very pleased with 12”Flowmaster Super HP 2’s. I like the black, but they are available in 304 SS. They remove the annoying drone of some exhausts, have a nice sound at idle, and great sound on throttle.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Kidasters likes this.
  4. AZDoug

AZDoug Formula 3

Jun 17, 2009
    Along the Verde , AZ
    Full Name:
    Doug
    I have never looked inside an Ansa or even a stock exhaust, are they a true dual like the custom unit shown , or are they "merged" internally, with just dual outlets?

I ask the question, because dual exh can be somewhat peaky compared to a merged dual system. Merged being an H pipe, or X pipe that combines a typical under car, front engined dual exhaust, or two exhausts that flow thru one muffler and combines each side. I picked up an extra 225 ft-lbs of torque on my 427 Corvette, at 1500 RPM by adding an H pipe to connect the two sides right behind the header collect , didn't make any diff above ~2300 RPM, though. But, at 1500 RPM, the rear wheel Tq was 400 ft-lb with the H pipe, only 175 ft-lb, without the H-pipe.
    Doug

5. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
  6. ferrariowner

ferrariowner Formula 3

Feb 21, 2014
    Mansfield, TX
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Based on the weight of the stock muffler, I thought they were made out of lead. Based on the price of a new muffler, I thought they were made of gold!
    Thanks for sharing Rob.

pshoejberg and JC Andruet like this.
  7. AZDoug

AZDoug Formula 3

Jun 17, 2009
    Along the Verde , AZ
    Full Name:
    Doug
    Well, that was interesting, thanks.

My eyeball estimate based on general muffler experience is the Ansa is a so-so muffler as far as robbing HP. I have seen worse, i have seen better designs. I do have a c. 1987 Ansa muffler on my car now. Have to think about putting something better on there.

Doug

8. RAMMER

RAMMER Formula 3

Feb 20, 2004
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Rammer
    Here are pictures of my original 1976 thermal muffler. I actually like the girthy tips (take your shots). This was removed because it had a loud rattle inside. I am saving it because I am an originality buff. Before you ask, I just weighed it and it weighs 71 pounds. It actually feels heavier than that! Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. RAMMER

RAMMER Formula 3

Feb 20, 2004
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Rammer
    Do you have a sound clip you can share?

10. 48969

48969 Karting

Jun 27, 2020
    Chicago, Illinois
    Full Name:
    J. Michael Collins
  11. 48969

48969 Karting

Jun 27, 2020
    Chicago, Illinois
    Full Name:
    J. Michael Collins

My understanding is that on a cross plane crank, the H or X balances both sides to help scavenge the exhaust. With a flat plane crank, you essentially have 2 four cylinder engines that are already balanced, so the benefit of an H or X is not the same. I’m sure others can elaborate and/or correct.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

JCR likes this.
  12. JCR

JCR F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2005
    H-Town, Tejas
    This is correct.

13. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    Tubi is the absolute best exhaust system for a 3x8, its that simple. The build quality, the period correct sound, and mated with a test pipe, your car will wake up from its cat converter sleep.

Thank you

14. RAMMER

RAMMER Formula 3

Feb 20, 2004
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Rammer
    Where would the test pipe. In my car the exhaust goes straight to the headers.....

48969 likes this.
  15. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    Maybe you have a Euro car, Im not sure, but the test pipe replaces the cat converter, the motor compartment will be at least 15 degrees cooler, and the car will run cooler when in traffic .

Thank you

16. RAMMER

RAMMER Formula 3

Feb 20, 2004
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Rammer
    I have a very early 1976 US car. No cats just the thermal muffler.

17. RAMMER

RAMMER Formula 3

Feb 20, 2004
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Rammer
  18. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name: