348 - What is this connector near my battery? | FerrariChat

348 What is this connector near my battery?

Discussion in '348/355' started by Huskymaniac, Apr 14, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Huskymaniac

Huskymaniac Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2020
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Full Name:
    Tony
  2. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    #2 Qavion, Apr 14, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2021
    Very unlikely. Does it have a male counterpart? Is anything on your car not working? e.g. airconditioning? I can only find one plug with 9 pins in the wiring diagrams not in the cabin, and that's for the aircon.

Where is your battery? Front or rear?

Do you have a list of wire colours?

(EDIT: Found another 9-pin plug in the diagrams, but that's circular)

3. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Front battery? Isn't there an ABS diagnostic plug there?

4. Huskymaniac

Jul 9, 2020
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Rear battery.

5. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Doesn't the "diagnostics" just involve putting a fuse in the empty socket and monitoring the ABS warning light for flashes?

Anyway, wrong end of car for aircon and ABS if it's a rear battery.

6. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    Could be old alarm/ immobiliser?

As far as I’m aware the only connectors that might be disconnected back there are the cat ecus; and they aren’t 9 pin!

If everything works; rear lights? I’d just wrap some electric tape around it and ignore it.

7. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    It certainly looks original. Did the 348 come with provisional wiring for an alarm? Even so, the engine compartment would be a strange place for alarm equipment.

According to the wiring diagrams, the rear light clusters have 9 pins (I missed this). But why is the OP asking what it is?

Colours should be red/black, black, black, red/yellow, red, yellow/black, blue/black on the left and on the right, red/black, black, black, red/yellow, red, orange, yellow, blue.

A348W likes this.
  8. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    There are some light plugs right back there including the side markers on the side bumper that are hard to get to.

Sent using FerrariChat.com mobile app

9. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    Qavion likes this.
  10. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    I’m presuming this gets you a life time ban from here, and in fact anything even remotely cool, ever!!!! :)

11. Huskymaniac

Jul 9, 2020
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Full Name:
    Tony
    I will check that. I did just get the rear bumper repainted and an OEM muffler swapped in so they could have forgotten to put a plug back in.

12. Huskymaniac

Jul 9, 2020
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Full Name:
    Tony
  13. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    The connectors are for the exhaust temperature control modules, black boxes that you can find further inside from the connectors. The other halves of the connectors, on the looms to the control modules, seem to have been just tucked behind/below the connectors you are showing.

The exhaust temperature control modules on your car are the early types which regularly fail after some years and may affect the engine operation, i.e. cause false SDL-s, CEL-s or even unnecessary bank shut-downs so they are often just unplugged. If the modules are disconnected on a non-cat engine, they do not affect the engine running in any way (just cause "silent" fault codes) but I do not know what effect the disconnection would have on engines with cats. Probably, in addition to codes, it would light up the CEL-s.

In any case, if you have cats, you will get no warning of high exhaust temperatures (SDL) and the the cats will be unprotected against overheating.

14. Huskymaniac

Jul 9, 2020
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Thanks! I know that aftermarket cats (possible deletes) were put on when the aftermarket muffler was put on the car. I don't plan on driving the car hard so it shouldn't be an issue. If I move to CA (possible), I will have to find legit replacement cats and will deal with it then.

15. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    No effect whatsoever on cat cars; and most 348 came with cats.

Most everybody I know just disconnects them; lots of threads on it. Just remember to disconnect the cat ecu from the main harness; not the thermo from the ecu as it will send a duff signal.

Cost of an aftermarket cat isn’t far off that if the ecu; and given the reliability, not helped by the location,of the cat ecu, just unplug them.