488 - Workshop manual | FerrariChat

488 Workshop manual

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by superflyte, Dec 26, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. superflyte

superflyte Karting

Jun 4, 2009
    Melbourne, VIC
    Full Name:
    Troy
    I'm hoping someone can assist here. I'm looking for a copy of the 488 workshop manual. Specifically, the mechanical (engine and transmission) sections. So far, searches have only turned up owners manuals, not workshop manuals.

Thanks in advance.

2. superflyte

superflyte Karting

Jun 4, 2009
    Melbourne, VIC
    Full Name:
    Troy
    No takers... well, what about hard copies for sale anywhere. Anyone seen anything available?

3. versamil

versamil Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2013
    Gaston, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Brian Healy
    I have the same quest for a manual for a 458. I'm going to opine that Ferrari does NOT produce a manual. I just asked my dealer if there was anything available even for the electrical system, and the answer was NO! I think it's pretty disgusting to buy a 300K car, and the manufacture is so cavalier as to not produce adequate documentation. Of course they want to protect their dealerships.

Going back to the 308 series, Ferrari didn't really make a manual, specific to that car, a person had to combine a 308 GT4 manual, and the owners manual for information. BUT they did release books to their dealerships that had a wealth of information. In time books for the 458's and 488's may sneak out of the dealerships, although, they're probably an electronic version of a book. Certainly the days of Haynes and Clymer manuals are LONG GONE! They would take a car apart and document doing the engine , transmission etc. Back in the days when cars were truly simple.

vraa likes this.
  4. superflyte

superflyte Karting

Jun 4, 2009
    Melbourne, VIC
    Full Name:
    Troy
    This is true. That said, I have e-copies of F355 and 360 workshop manuals, and was hoping to get something similar for the 488. I guess I'll learn the engine's intricacies as I go, as I'm installing it outside of a 488 shell. I'm happy to share any knowledge.

I'll be mating the 488 engine to a Hewland sequential transmission, so different again from the GT3 cars, which run Xtrac transmissions.

vraa likes this.
  5. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    The 458 service manual (most of it) in PDF format can be had via eBay for $10

P.S. Please CHILL OUT with the random, extraneous, capitalization for no apparent reason... that's usually something that only crazy people do in my experience.

:)

Ray

SVR likes this.
  6. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    Did anyone e er come up with a 488 workshop manual?

Im looking to see the ride height specs for a 488GTB and Pista. I’m looking to get the difference between front to rear....this will tell me the cars stock rake. Also looking for where on the frame these measurements are taken at.

7. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    On the 458, just in-board of the mounting point for the lower A-arms, there was a small round hole in the frame; you could measure from the edge of that hole there down to the ground and obtain an accurate height. I wanna say the 458 was 140mm or so. I believe there was the same hole in the rear (it's about the size of a dime if I am remembering things correctly). That's how I have done it myself.

Ray

8. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    This is how I did it on my Porsche’s as well but I had copies of the pages to see the exact points and to get the specs. Doesn’t seem like you can get that anywhere for a Ferrari. Dealer has this info on there Ferrari computer access but says bring the car in and we will set it up...but there prices are stupid ...plus this is info I want to know myself so I can make some decisions with.

9. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Here's the info for the 458. The 488 is effectively the same chassis, so I would suspect the holes used for vehicle setup are in the same location.

Just get a used chopstick and stick it up in the hole, mark it flush with the bottom edge of the hole and then measure. That should get you darn close.

Ray

Attached Files:

mdrums likes this.
  10. Paddy_SP

Paddy_SP Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2005
    Devon, UK
    Full Name:
    Dr Patrick (Paddy) Hook
    Did you ever do this, and if so, which Hewland 'box did you use? LLS? LWS? MWS?

11. superflyte

superflyte Karting

Jun 4, 2009
    Melbourne, VIC
    Full Name:
    Troy
    Check your other thread for info :)