FCA Membership (?) | Page 3 | FerrariChat

FCA Membership (?)

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Mirek, Apr 8, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Joshman0531

Joshman0531 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 19, 2012
    Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Joshua Seidenberg
    I was a member but dropped. One word....boring. The events are lame, if there are any. I could go on and on but why slam the club, it's too easy. It's the least social, social club I was part of this was in CO. I have not joined in TN yet.

2. Dave Bertrand

Dave Bertrand Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 24, 2005
    Castle Rock, CO
    One thing that bugs me a little is that I've received no communication
    Mind if I ask what you mean by "least social social club"? Do you mean you found the members to be unfriendly, or are you referring to a lack of social events?

3. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I'm sorry you had a bad experience. However speaking as someone who has been "in charge" of a chapter, it's a bit lonely and thankless.

coming up with events that everyone will like in the Ferrari world is challenging. Not everyone likes a drive or Concours... and it's very hard to organize events that may require cash outlay upfront when members don't commit or show up after saying that they will..... this has been more of the case than not over the past 4-5 years. I totally get it that everyone is going 1000 mph/hr. and doing a club meeting is not "that important" but it does have its effect on the volume of events.

in Ga we have over 250 members...yet the highest club meet-up has been 45 - 50 people - and that is when Ferrari days was in town.... our usual number of members that come out (pre-COVID) was about 15 - 20. Some is because of geography - most events have been Atlanta Centric ( that is where I live ) but with that huge number of members ... and such a small turn out... its difficult to make advance commitments to do "cool" events. for comparison, I'm a member of the Porsche Club of America - PCA - and the average attendance for their event is over 75 people. Cars & Coffee meet up they can have over 100 cars.... I know there are far more Porsches than Ferrari's but the percentage of turnout is much greater.

Its a catch 22. then you put COVID into the mix and people have been hesitant to come out - and places have been hesitant to allow gatherings..... Personally, I stopped as Chapter Pres. in 2019 to care for my folks... and the new leader I don't think realized the work load or had some other issues come into play, so we are now working with a new Chapter President just recently... so its hard to keep consistency, momentum etc... but I will say that our Core group is FANTASTIC, and i count them as many of my friends.

Putting on a Track meet is even more challenging financially ... insurance and track rental alone almost make it prohibitive for the FCA with such a small number of participants. And then the cars are so much more powerful and dangerous... it can surprise and scare people of their own cars... I know I'm not going to push my 599 anywhere close to its limits, whereas in my Porsche 911... I'm much closer to the limit ( routinely activate the PSM)...

Labman and jm2 like this.
  4. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I know the club has struggled with events during COVID... my advice is if you are not hearing from your local leader - contact Jim Meek at national. you can let him know that there are folks wanting to do events - and perhaps offer to host an event. At this point we need all the help we can get

5. alex

alex Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Crystal Lake, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I bought my first Ferrari in July, 2019 and, due to a planned vacation and other events, I attended only a few FCA gatherings during the 2019 season. I was ready to hit the ground running in 2020, and then along came COVID! Although my wife and I enjoyed some outdoor gatherings with the club, we were certainly concerned about any event that involved indoor dining. Now we have been fully vaccinated and hope that we will be more active this year. It's been a tough year for everyone, but FCA events bring you together with like-minded people, and due to the nature of these cars, there is certainly safety in numbers during a drive or an outing!

6. Joshman0531

Joshman0531 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 19, 2012
    Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Joshua Seidenberg
    Both. Just a clique and unsocial old folks. I'm no spring chicken but unfriendly crowd for being a club with such specific common interest.

C4YES likes this.
  7. Mirek

Mirek Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 20, 2019
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Mirek
    Not much on the website now that I joined. How do I become informed of events ? There does not seem to be a California chapter unless I am missing something.

8. john a barnes

john a barnes Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2018
    muskego wi
    Full Name:
    John a Barnes
    I just joined FCA and FOC. I talked on the phone to the local Secretary of FCA. Nice guy. Cool guy with a 458. I will do some events that I saw on the Calender. I asked about the track thing . We have Road America in our backyard. The answer was non-committal. FOC turns out to be a West Coast thing. Nice magazine, but events are 2000 miles away . haha Oh well. P/S I'm still waiting for my windshield decal. Where is my decal dammit!!

9. john a barnes

john a barnes Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2018
    muskego wi
    Full Name:
    John a Barnes
    Mirek, they should send you an E-mail with a bunch of stuff going on. See if there is a phone number for the Chapter person and call them.

10. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    There is a Chapter in Southern Cali...
    https://www.fca-sw.org/

you'll have to sign in with your login and pass word. ... click on regions... then scroll down you'll see the regional director. Its SCAL, and HI.

11. Mirek

Mirek Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 20, 2019
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Mirek
    Thanks man !

12. dgunn365

dgunn365 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    New London, NH
    Full Name:
    David Gunn
    Mirek, where do you live?
    There are several CA chapters under FCA's Pacific and SW Regions.

13. Way2fast

Way2fast Formula 3

May 24, 2006
    Santa Barbara County
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Welcome to the group. Southwest chapter is for Los Angeles. They are working on upgrading the website. You should start getting emails of events

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

14. gt corsa

gt corsa Rookie

Jan 12, 2014
    pacific palisades ca
    Full Name:
    dennis white
    Looks like you've already joined, so welcome! It appears FCA-SW is your region and I'm a member. I can tell you it's a very active group with many events and, in particular, drives throughout the year. I'm also a member of the Alfa, Aston Martin, Maserati, and Jaguar Clubs and only Jaguar comes remotely close in comparison. And despite some less than flattering observations about Ferrari owners, for the most part I've found in my 5 years of membership the people in FCA-SW are very friendly and pretty down-to-earth. The events are quite inexpensive especially considering the group involved, and throw in the region's excellent quarterly Sempre Ferrari magazine, and you can't beat it all for the price!

Mirek likes this.
  15. stretchgeneral

stretchgeneral Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 9, 2014
    MA/TX
    Full Name:
    McK
    I have been a member for almost 7 years. You can join a club like this and be a spectator, reading the emails and magazine links and that's it. Or you can attend events, develop friends and if you see improvements needed, then volunteer for a leadership position and help influence things. It is a two way street.

Nospinzone likes this.
  16. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I think those that show up at a dealer unannounced and expect a red carpet and top position for the next special model are the same that show up to FCA events and complain about it not being friendly.

Clint 360, Labman, Nospinzone and 2 others like this.
  17. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I guess it could depend on the chapter you join. The New England chapter has been great. I owned my Ferrari for 2 years before I joined 5 years ago. I wasted 2 years!

stretchgeneral likes this.