Front license plate...YUK! | FerrariChat

Front license plate...YUK!

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by fatbillybob, Apr 14, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    WE all hate front plates on our Ferraris. We especially don't lie the look or drilling into bumpers. Have you guys seen this? It is just a sticker. Would you wear this or continue risking a ticket from the "Man"?

https://licenseplatewrap.com/

Dom likes this.
  2. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    Mine has one but not legal here so I stuck the real plate over it with 3M double sided tape. Looks just the same.

3. Dave Bertrand

Dave Bertrand Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 24, 2005
    Castle Rock, CO
    I don't see the benefit. It looks just as bad as a real plate.

kes7u and Shark01 like this.
  4. PMiranda

PMiranda Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2004
    Austin, TX
    None of my vehicles has a front plate and I usually get a fix-it ticket every few years for my trouble even if I'm not speedingp. If I really had to run it, I'd do what BMW did for my euro delivery M3 many years ago: double-sided tape with the thick foam core. Fastens securely but comes off cleanly, and the extra thickness keeps the edges of the plate from scratching the paint. Of course with modern PPF even that isn't a serious concern. If it blocks UV too then the paint won't even age differently under the plate vs next to it.

5. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    I’ve got one on my Tesla. Tired of dealing with removable plates. Pre Covid, I was at the airport a lot, they’ve got plate scanners and will ticket you. Not worth the hassle. The license plate wrap is a good compromise. You have a plate, but still keep the lines of the car.

6. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Without a front license plate in Switzerland you may go to jail.
    Using a sticker instead of the government owned metal plate leads to a court case for falsifying and replicating a government owned item, totally illegal and you risk jail again. Plus massive fines.
    We have so many cameras everywhere that automatically check the license plates of all cars it probably takes less than five minutes to be located. All this has zero to do with speeding, of course. It's just about taxes and instant and complete control.

Marcel Massini

mwr4440 likes this.
  7. Newjoint

Newjoint Formula 3

Jan 17, 2016
    I’ve used 3M black hook and loop (Velcro) and occasionally clear depending vehicles grill color to fasten front plates which I can add or remove at will. The Velcro sticks like glue but is still easy to remove and practically invisible when the plate is off

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

8. 350MH83

350MH83 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2014
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Max
    I'd rather go with a Carbonio solution. 100% legal but you can easily dismount it and doesnt damage the car.

Manda racing likes this.
  9. Dave Bertrand

Dave Bertrand Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 24, 2005
    Castle Rock, CO
    I drove Porsches for 17 years without front license plates in the Denver area, and was stopped only once in all that time, and received a $10 ticket. I think it was worth it. ;)

Thomas Magnum likes this.
  10. 430tdf

430tdf Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2008
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Brett
    I think its a great idea for those that are required to have a front plate. But I'm not sure how the vendor figure that they can patent it. When I took delivery of my 430 in 2008 the dealer in B.C. Canada offered to get one made from me, apparently a lot of their customers in Vancouver were using them. Luckily I was from the neighboring province, Alberta and our provincial government had already eliminated the front plate requirement as a budget saving move.
    PS. They still manage to hand out more than their fair share of tickets, even with just the rear plate!

11. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    just pay the ticket. its $80 bucks and then you go on looking cool

12. Carbonio

Carbonio Formula 3

Dec 1, 2009
    Printing an adhesive license plate is nothing new and there is nothing about it that would qualify for a patent. Just for fun I looked to see if a patent application was made by this company and there are no records of it. Looks like the 'Patent pending' is a BS claim. This is in line with the claim that it is DMV and State Approved which also is a generous play on words pointing to a pilot program only in California (that expired in Jan 2021) requiring approval first. Without a specific letter of approval to your vehicle first it is not allowed and with the program expired I'm not sure how they can claim to still be able to file approval letters on the customers behalf.

The Ferrari community has been great in adopting our no-drill license plate mounting solutions to their cars. While most customers use our mounts to drive around with, lots just carry the assembly in their trunk allowing for a fast roadside fix should they get pulled over. The police will not accept a plate in the front window but they will accept our mount and we have never heard of a customer being ticketed after doing a roadside fix with a Carbonio mount.

JimEakin likes this.
  13. drcollie

drcollie Karting

Dec 15, 2013
    Virginia passed a law in 2020 that Police can no longer stop you for things such as no front plate, tinted windows, loud exhaust or any other equipment issue as a primary reason for pulling you over. Now, they can still ding you for no front plate if you are speeding, as the speed is the primary violation.

https://lis.virginia.gov/cgi-bin/legp604.exe?202+sum+SB5029

14. alex

alex Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Crystal Lake, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Get a Carbonio plate holder. They are great!

syata likes this.
  15. NE550

NE550 Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2017
    Omaha, NE
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Fortunately we have a single plate option in my state, but it's extra cost...$100 extra per annual registration renewal for the privilege of having one plate vs. the normal two. Gotta love government!

Alternatively we can get a "Special Interest" registration which only has one plate, or if your car's is old enough, a "vintage" plate registration which is also a single plate (and one-time registration fee). Special Interest and Vintage registrations impose usage restrictions, such as you can't drive the vehicle for regular daily use to work or use it for commercial purposes. No idea how they enforce that. Well, at least we have a choice!

16. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    I have never had a front license plate, when I got a ticket for it, I told the judge that I will never put a front plate on the car,( there is no where to attach it i said ) and to please just fine me, and so he did, and I paid it. Thats exactly what I will do if I get pinched for it again, the last time was over 15 years ago, I think.

Thank you

killer58 likes this.
  17. RonH

RonH Formula 3

May 29, 2016
    Newport Coast, California
    Full Name:
    Ron H
    Fatbillybob, I have lived in Southern California since 1985 and I have never had any front plate on any of my cars. I have had my fair share of speeding tickets but nobody has ever given me a ticket (even a fix it ticket) for no front plate. So I wouldn’t worry about it.

killer58 likes this.
  18. jjtjr

jjtjr Formula Junior

Aug 29, 2016
    Vermont
    Full Name:
    john truskowski
    Over the years of driving cars and trucks that are required to have 2 plates I have never been pulled over for only having one plate. Only time I was ever asked was in my Corvette when I was pulled over for speeding, and the officer asked where my front plate was and I told him it was in my luggage compartment. He told me to put it up on my dash and that would suffice. I'm not so sure that is really legit per traffic laws but it beats ruining the look of the car with a license plate.

Dave Bertrand likes this.
  19. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    No I would not run that sticker for a front plate. Simple to steal. That and its pretty ugly and no place to put it on my car. Omit the plate unless you live in Switzerland!

20. mwr4440

mwr4440 Five Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Bavaria, The 'Other' Germany
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.
    I never fail to get a ticket EVERY TIME I go there.

21. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I don't think I'll order one of those wraps. My car would look funny with a Cali plate in the front and a Mass plate on the back. :D

HH11 likes this.
  22. Admiral Goodwrench

Admiral Goodwrench Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2005
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Robert Phillips
    Dear Marcel,

It is time to move to Santa Fe! In New Mexico we only have rear license plates. Up front you can have anything or nothing.

Best regards,

Robert

Nospinzone likes this.
  23. killer58

killer58 Formula 3

Jun 30, 2010
    CA & DC
    I’m a CA native and have never had front plates on any of my cars. Since I started driving in 1974, I’ve gotten one fix-it ticket for no front plate, and it was in conjunction with a parking ticket. I do carry a Carbonio mount in both Ferraris in case I’m stopped. But that hasn’t happened in 10 years of ownership.

My guess is you have to attract attention for some other infraction first.

24. 458daddy

458daddy Rookie

May 31, 2021
    Full Name:
    mike santorelli
    I want to order a plate for a 458 I heard you have a discount code for Ferrari chat memebers

25. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    With all of the camera-based automatic-billing toll systems and access lanes, I think the day is coming where front plates will be much more strictly enforced.

My Ferrari is a 1983. I am the second owner. When I bought the car, the front license plate (blue) was still in its DMV envelope. It has never been on the car!

So far, I have never received a ticket regarding the lack of front plate. I was part of a Ferrari group that got pulled over in Pebble Beach for not having front plates (among other things), but all we got was a stern talking to. One of the guys had the clip and the cop was not impressed when the car suddenly had a front license plate. He did say it was a good idea!

For 308s which have classic “egg crate” grilles, a couple of zip ties affixes the plate secure enough for a cop to inspect and sign-off on the fix-it ticket. It is equally easy to remove again.