Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance - 2021 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance - 2021

Discussion in 'Events Discussion' started by Rossocorsa1, Dec 31, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    The concours will happen. It may not be at the scale we’re accustomed to, but I’m rather confident it will happen.

2. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    The scale of PB and the other events that weekend are based on General Public attendance, which in actual terms is not that large in comparison. If it’s a gradual return to normalcy you’ll probably see reduced crowds consisting of primarily day trippers that can return home after spending the day at an outdoor activity. The indoor activities such as the auctions, private parties, indoor dining will suffer the most.

It’s the distance participants that will be reluctant to attend. A clue to how the general attendance will transpire this year will be to watch how the Carlisle Events do starting in April. It will signal the safety perception of those in Collector Car World, given the fact that most in that World tend to be older and probably with some underlying condition (high blood pressure, over weight etc.).

As an FYI Carlisle Events held most of their events in 2020, although with obvious reduced attendance. They had a very public battle with the State of Pennsylvania which tried to shut them down.

3. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    #28 TTR, Jan 3, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2021
    Nothing to do with organizing PB car week events which are expected to see attendance from all over the world, not just residents of Monterey county.

Besides, even if governments of the county or local municipalities allow them operating permits, how many people you think will chance travel long distance to attend obviously limited venues unless the safety guarantees are far closer to 100% than 50% or even 70% AND/OR for similar reasons, how many major sponsors you think are willing to spend $$$s/€€€s/£££s to support, again, very limited/small crowd(?) gatherings which may (easily) expose them to various legal liabilities afforded by the largest and most complex judicial system (incl. armies of lawyers whose livelihoods depends on it) in the world, and all because of that 50+% intelligence rate, compared to an “average person”.

Like I mentioned earlier, I’ve already written off the handful of large scale car events I’d enjoy in ‘21.
    OTOH, I wouldn’t mind being proven wrong on this one.

Lusso123 and Texas Forever like this.
  4. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    I'd try a vrbo rent a house or condo. I hate hotels myself and the parking for your Ferrari is probably better at a house you might even have garage access.

5. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    There are sound limits at laguna seca. They limit the number of 103DB days vs 92db days. 2020 was actually a good year at Laguna to amateur race and even for trackdays. There were more 103db days for us amateurs because of cancellations by prorace groups and the monterey historics and others. Where one looses someone else gains.

Texas Forever likes this.
  6. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Also something worth to consider:
    I’m guessing that many, if not majority, of the vehicles displayed at global Top Concourses/Events/Shows are brought in, not only long distance, but often from outside of the hosting country.
    And if those owners are not allowed or feel safe to attend, I’d imagine it’s pretty hard to organize a world class event(s).

LARRYH, Rifledriver and Texas Forever like this.
  7. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    We agree. I believe it would be safe to hold the event by August, but I doubt the authorities will agree.

8. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    I have forgotten about that. I'd like to live near Laguna just to hear the cars!

9. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I am afraid it's VERY much like F1 Austin.

The world will look at the stats, the risk of travel, and rightly, take a "pass"...can they pull it off with only American entrants?
    Maybe, not sure of that at all.

10. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    if the organizers really want the Pebble Bch event to occur, just make sure Gavin Newsome’s daily driver is on the lawn.

11. Laserman

Laserman Karting

Oct 26, 2018
    Minneapolis, MN
    If I were going, but i am not .

I would be staying at Bernardus Lodge. It is about 4 to 5 miles inland and up the valley from Carmel. It is associated with the Bernardus Winery.
    The food, wine and accommodations are top drawer.

Carmel Valley Hotels | Official Website | Bernardus Lodge

12. Laserman

Laserman Karting

Oct 26, 2018
    Minneapolis, MN
    BTW my F355 is not anyways near to Concourse quality.

And 2000 mile drive.
    Laserman

13. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    I wish to correct above statement slightly.
    I do have hotel reservations to some ‘21 car events, but all on notices to cancel at or before “last call” without incurring charges or penalties.

14. montegoblue

montegoblue Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 7, 2009
    East TN
    Ok guys, taking a chance on life and got reservations for this years Car Week (fingers crossed!). Anybody know of ticket options for PB and the Quail? Quail only listing patron tickets this year for 3k a pop, anybody know if there will be a lottery this year ?

15. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Well, I'm an optimist. I know the initial rollout of vaccines has been bungled, but I think this will be rectified in the next few weeks. I would expect almost all Americans who want a vaccine will have received one by the end of June, or July at the latest.

16. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    The concours will happen this year. It’s not even a concern of mine. Then, in 2022, I think the scale of The whole week will be back to normal. I’m confident.

LARRYH, plastique999 and Nospinzone like this.
  17. Mr. Uy

Mr. Uy Formula Junior

Apr 23, 2020
    Fort Worth, TX
    Full Name:
    Charlie U
    That would make me happy! A friend and I both have wanted to go our whole lives, and finally booked it in 2020. Next likelihood for us will be 2022, so fingers crossed it is back to normal

18. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    I'm curious from those who have stayed at both - if given the choice between the Lodge at Pebble Beach or the Inn at Spanish Bay, which of the two would you stay in?

19. colombo2cam

colombo2cam Formula Junior

Jan 31, 2019
    Full Name:
    Ted
    Spanish Bay is very nice - a little more out of the action - that being said a stupendous drive to get there - on tour and show day the Lodge is it.

20. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Clearly The Lodge.

Marcel Massini

LARRYH and Rossocorsa1 like this.
  21. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal