Thoughts from someone that is becoming a Ferrari club member, and never expected it. | FerrariChat

Thoughts from someone that is becoming a Ferrari club member, and never expected it.

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by niccmann, Apr 14, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. niccmann

niccmann Rookie

Mar 5, 2021
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Nicholas
    #1 niccmann, Apr 14, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2021
    Just wanted to share with you all where I am at right now.

I was born and raised in Italy in a low-middle class family that came from a very poor background, and as you can imagine I had Ferrari posters all over the place. I used to watch Formula 1 with my dad and we were hardcore "Ferraristi". I dreamt of owning a Ferrari, but it was kinda of a "low intensity" dream simply because I never thought it would have been really possible one day. Just like when you dream to visit another planet when you are a kid.

Fast forward 30 years: I got lucky, made the right decisions, luck compounded, made again the right decisions... And in just a few years I've become an UHNWI (god bless the internet and the new opportunities it brought). Just 5 years ago I was just a reasonably successful self-employed guy with a good income... So I'm still adjusting. I Still I have a middle class mentality, so I drive a "rational" car, I have a rational house, I diversify "rationally" my investments...

Well last month I suddenly realized that life is short and given my situation I can DEFINITELY afford my dream car... Or a couple of them... In other words, from a purchasing power or "wealth" perspective, I'm really past the point at which an F-car could be conceived as "irrational". But I live in a city in southern Europe where there are some Porsche cars on the streets, but no Ferrari or exotics whatsoever, so I struggled a lot thinking about the attention a Ferrari would bring. Then, I had the typical thoughts about people struggling with the Covid situation, literally all my friends are people making max. $40k per year and many less than that, some drive 20-year-old cars that they bought for $700, many are unemployed, and I thought it was simply not right to flash wealth by owning an F car... What would others think? Will my kids be spoiled by being the only kids in their school with such an expensive car? Furthermore, will they be comfortable in the car for long trips? Its so small in the back... How can I justify that? Etc. etc. etc.

Then one day I went to the dealer with my wife and my eyes got wet, I LITERALLY cryied a little when I sat into a Portofino and I realized how beautiful it is in person (in all my life I have probably have seen only ~20 ferraris in real life, never a Portofino). Well, that made it for me. I'm pulling the trigger and I'm buying it. I still cannot believe it, but I'm becoming a member of this club. I like more the Roma from the outside, but I really want my first Ferrari to be a convertible to be able to feel the exhaust note with the top down. And where I live we have basically 300 days of sun per year, and it almost never rains, so a convertible makes total sense.

I just have one doubt: there's something in me that wants the Portofino in red. Just because its a Ferrari and its my first one and my heart races when I see it in red. But then when I was a kid I fantasized with a black Ferrari, so that's OK. I love the Portofino in black with the top up, but with the top down I like it less. My wife really prefers black or silver because she says red is too flashy and it will bring too much attention (LOL, I'm 100% sure that in my city *any* kind of Ferrari will bring crazy amounts of attention, its not like I live in California or Monaco). She also says red is too obvious/cliché and black or silver will be more classy.

So, my question is: in your experience, do you really receive less attention by getting a color different than red? What are your favourite color schemes for the Portofino? I'm thinking either red with black leather interior with red stiching and red horses (which I think is very good for a portofino); or all black, both exterior and interior, with yellow stitching and yellow calipers and yellow horses (which is how I pictured my Ferrari when I was a kid). My wife favours silver, with cuoio seats, which is also very beautiful.

I really needed to share this with someone, because its difficult for me to discuss this stuff with my old-time friends. Thank you for reading!!

jpalmito, mdileo, ryalex and 5 others like this.
  2. craze

craze Formula 3

Mar 5, 2021
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Congratulations!!!

Have you ever owned a black car? Cleaning is no fun!
    But for the 5 mins its clean its worth it!
    Black and black with yellow stiching looks killer!

Although i find colors compare to woman and their hair, eg straight hair they want curly, curly hair they want straight!

No matter the choice im sure you will love it!

Just he humble, if people hate you for having it they are not your friends

Reacherman1022 and niccmann like this.
  3. niccmann

niccmann Rookie

Mar 5, 2021
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Nicholas
    Thanks! Feels great to be able to discuss this stuff openly with other people that share the same passion. I'm really excited about all this :)

I never did! Is it really so terrible? I have to admit I'm not the kind of guy who cleans his car very often... But I guess that I will have to do so with the Ferrari :D

But yeah, how bad it looks like when its not perfectly clean is definitely something to keep in mind. Also because I spend most of the summer close to the beach, in a place with plenty of dirt roads, where cars are *always* full of sand/dirt... I guess black is the worst color for that situation, LOL!! Probably, with that in mind, Grigio Silverstone starts to look as the "sensible" option.

True that!!!

4. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Congratulations: one saying often repeated here is happy wife = happy life !

Down in the Portofino section is loads more car advice together with many photos of all the different colors which may give a few ideas beyond red / black / silver (this latter is often too light and one of the grigios can be better)

niccmann likes this.
  5. alex

alex Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Crystal Lake, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Alex
    #5 alex, Apr 14, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2021
    Nero Daytona gives you the best of both worlds! It's a metallic black that is easier to keep clean. The metallic silvers are also a good choice. The most beautiful car I've seen lately was metallic grey (probably grigio titanio) with a grey interior. It's a classic, understated look. This was a Cali T but I think the Porto would look good in this color combination too! You could also wrap your car. The dust and dirt literally float right off. We have a nero California and it doesn't draw too much attention, especially in traffic. However, the kids recognize the shields immediately!

Welcome to the Ferrari universe!

niccmann likes this.
  6. niccmann

niccmann Rookie

Mar 5, 2021
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Nicholas
    Indeed! I really love her. When we were at the dealership, the sales man went for coffees for all. She looked at me in the eyes and she told me: "look, this is your dream, YOUR car. Don't try to rationalize this because there's nothing rational, just BUY IT!"

She just suggested not to take it in red because I asked, but she really said I should choose whatever makes me happy.

When I saild silver I really meant gray, e.g. "grigio silverstone". :)

alex likes this.
  7. niccmann

niccmann Rookie

Mar 5, 2021
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Nicholas
    This is very helpful... If buy it in black it will definitely be Nero Dayton. Do you have any experience with the fabric wrap? Is it worth it?

8. alex

alex Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Crystal Lake, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Our car is not wrapped but a lot of owners seem to like it. We are third owners. We don't obsess about washing ours. My wife and I hand wash it about once a month with a rinseless wash. It takes about a half hour. You will find a lot of info in the Detailing and Showroom thread. I'm so glad to hear your wife is on board about the purchase. May you both enjoy many hours in your Porto!

niccmann likes this.
  9. Jeff3545

Jeff3545 Karting

Sep 4, 2018
    SF Bay Area and South Florida
    Full Name:
    Jeff Nolan
    I just sold my California T in Blu California, It was always remarkable to me that so many people would comment on the color of the car, but it really is a beautiful color. I really enjoy seeing the rainbow that is today’s Ferrari. I have an 812 Superfast in Elettrico Blu. I really don’t have a thing for blue cars but in each instance, this was the color that spoke to me for the Ferraris. I also looked at a Grigio Superfast Opaco, so I’m not tied to one side of the color wheel at all. Let your emotions rule your color choice.

430tdf, alex and niccmann like this.
  10. 430tdf

430tdf Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2008
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Brett
    Congratulations on achieving your dream!
    Personally I'm not a fan of black, outside or in! On the exterior it looks amazing for 5 minutes after you wash it and then the dust starts to collect......
    On the interior the floors always look dirty from the sand off your shoes, and for me the seats are very uncomfortable to sit on when the sun has been shining on them, even if only for a short period of time.
    The wonderful thing about ordering a new Ferrari is they give you dozens of choices in colours and materials, don't be afraid to play with the configurator, make the car uniquely yours! I liken it to decorating a new house, you can choose the colours of the paint, the carpet, the seats, the upper and lower dash, the steering wheel, the door panels, the console, the tach........ take your time and have fun with it! Some choices will cost extra some won't.
    In the end it's your car, follow your heart.

Mimmo Blue, SVCalifornia and alex like this.
  11. Dave Bertrand

Dave Bertrand Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 24, 2005
    Castle Rock, CO
    Or, in my case, NO wife, no kids = happy life. More room in the garage and the bank account for more cars!

mdileo, NYC Fred and Mimmo Blue like this.
  12. Dave Bertrand

Dave Bertrand Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 24, 2005
    Castle Rock, CO
    I certainly hope so; my 328 is nero/nero. The attention factor that comes with owning a Ferrari is the one thing about Ferrari ownership that I would be pleased to do without. I just bought my car and haven't had it out on the road yet, but I would assume a bright red Ferrari would get more attention than a black one.

I have owned primarily black cars because I have always found black to be the most complimentary color for any sports car. It may be true that black shows dirt more than other colors, but that just gives you more reason to keep it clean, and to clean it often. It will stay looking new for longer if you keep it clean and free of contaminants.

So buy that black Porto and clean it often! When a black car is clean and shiny, no other color can match it! And it should also be pointed out that dirt doesn't discriminate. A red car will get just as dirty, just as quickly. Every color looks like crap when it's dirty, so you may as well get the color that you really want!

niccmann and alex like this.
  13. jjc

jjc Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 14, 2020
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    John J Castrogiovanni
    Go with the red
    My first Ferrari is an 812 in red
    The second a 550 in silver
    My eyes always go to the red Ferrari
    Must be a thing from when I was a kid

Reacherman1022 and niccmann like this.
  14. alex

alex Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Crystal Lake, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Alex
    One thing is certain: you WILL be noticed if you're driving a red Ferrari!:D

niccmann likes this.
  15. niccmann

niccmann Rookie

Mar 5, 2021
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Nicholas
    I totally agree. In fact the main reason I was so doubtful about buying the car was the attention that goes with it. As I said in the OP in my city is extremely difficult to see an exotic. I live in a huge country with a very big population but in 2019 Ferrari sold less than 80 cars in the whole country. Those who have these cars are usually sport stars, or very successful entrepreneurs, and 1) they live in other areas of the country and/or 2) they live in gated communities with private parkings and they rarely take their exotics out. If they are sport stars they take them to their training sessions... And that's basically it. That's not my case, as I live in the center of the city and my parking spots are in an underground garage shared with +100 neighbours... And I plan to drive the hell out of the car. Sure, it will get attention. Sure, people will talk. Yes, I would prefer to do without the attention. But some of us love Ferrari because they were our dream car when we were kids... And I guess that at least part of what make them so desirable is that they are hard to get. So the attention goes with these cars, and if I want the car I will have to live with the attention.

Finally, its true that its very uncommon to see a Ferrari in my city... Especially parked in shared garages. But somebody will have to start to buy and drive and park them if they are to become more common at some point, right? :)

NYC Fred, 430tdf and Dave Bertrand like this.
  16. alex

alex Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Crystal Lake, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Nicholas, think of yourself and your wife as movie stars. People will stare, they will take photos, young kids will try to race you! That is the kind of attention you'll receive! If you can handle it, great! After all, it's a FERRARI!:D

17. niccmann

niccmann Rookie

Mar 5, 2021
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Nicholas
    Yes, I understand this. I'm past the point in which I'm trying to fool myself by thinking that this or that color will bring less attention. I hope to be able to handle it. Will report back when I get the car :p

Dave Bertrand, 430tdf and alex like this.
  18. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    My opinion - Portofino in Pozzi Blue with Cuoio & Alcantara interior with the diamond stitching, shields, and yellow calipers.

I have a black 599 -and is painful to keep clean. Mine is Nero / Nero... but it does look great in that color.

Caphill likes this.
  19. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Good for you Nicholas! Your first Ferrari should make your heart flip and you should get the color that you see when you think about the car with your eyes closed. Go all in and don't concern yourself with what anyone else thinks about it.

20. Caphill

Caphill Karting

Nov 9, 2016
    I have Pozzi blue and TDF blue cars. They definitely get less attention than red cars. Pozzi is really dark, so it is a pain to keep clean, but it shows off all of the curves really well. TDF looks great and due to the metallic flake, it looks good while a bit dirty.

19633500GT likes this.
  21. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    100%. Would rather own blue than any red FCar. Great taste!

EnzoItaly and Caphill like this.
  22. Ngcanada

Ngcanada Formula Junior

May 16, 2016
    Ottawa Canada
    Very nice story Nicholas. Pick the color you want, I do not think it will make that much of a difference. The car will stand out no matter what color!! What country do you live in?

alex likes this.
  23. PMiranda

PMiranda Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2004
    Austin, TX
    I've never been a red car guy. I really wanted Blu Corsa but the appeal of the 458 won out, so I'm going for my second choice: Grigio SIlverstone. Amazing deep metallic color and looks fantastic. Take the time to look at all the choices.

alex likes this.
  24. niccmann

niccmann Rookie

Mar 5, 2021
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Nicholas
    Guys... I ordered the car. I'm now a member of this club. Unbelievable!!

25. alex

alex Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Crystal Lake, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Congrats! Did you choose a red exterior?