2014 California trade in advice | FerrariChat

2014 California trade in advice

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by lfc8, Apr 14, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. lfc8

lfc8 Rookie

Aug 20, 2020
    Hi All

Wanted to get some advice as to what to do, I purchased a red cali 30 2014 with 21k from a Ferrari deal in IL in Oct still has the new power warranty good through Oct 2022 (just serviced as well).

Am looking getting into a Cali T. What do you think the trade in or private party sale prices look like. Everything seems to be holding steady or slightly increasing from last year.

thanks

2. SLViper1

SLViper1 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2014
    Nashville/Destin
    Full Name:
    Steve

1. Image Unavailable, Please Login
      SLViper1Formula Junior
      Silver SubscribedOwner

Mar 25, 2014
      Nashville/Destin
      Full Name:
      Steve
      #24Sep 22, 2020
      Another 15 to 20 K will put you in a Cali T, more money but, a LOT more car. Is it worth it yes!
      Google the road tests of Cali vs Cali T you will be amazed at what you get!
      Just IMHO and I drove both to compare before buying Cali T last December.
      Good Luck!

RamsHmb, lfc8 and russellmcg like this.
      + Quote Reply
    2. Image Unavailable, Please Login
      russellmcgFormula Junior
      Rossa SubscribedOwner

Aug 3, 2014
      Houston
      Full Name:
      Russell McGuire
      #25Sep 22, 2020
      I agree with SLViper1.

Having owned the California and then going to the California-T, it's like night and day between those two cars. If I had to do it over, I would have just gone with the T out of the gate. It is a far superior car in almost every way, in my opinion. Everything from the entertainment system to the raw power is just overall better.

If it only comes down to 15-20k difference, I would save up and just go for the T.

lfc8 likes this.
    I hate to say "We told you so" :) i am thinking list it here for retail It looks like a nice Cali !

Beach Boy, SAFE4NOW and russellmcg like this.
  3. lfc8

lfc8 Rookie

Aug 20, 2020
    thanks, yes i remember this discussion back then, seems its a rapidly moving market with little inventory at the moment. I wouldnt say its buyers regret (i feel blessed to be even having this conversation), but just think the subtle interior and exterior changes as well as the power of the T is hard to look past. Although i do like the stacked exhaust design of the Cali and wished they had kept that.

4. SLViper1

SLViper1 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2014
    Nashville/Destin
    Full Name:
    Steve
    The dealers will "rip your lips off" trading similar value cars.

5. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    There's about a $20k delta between a 2014 and 2015 locally given similar mileage ... however, you will have to pay the $20k plus the difference in wholesale value of your current car, which I suspect is going to cost you another $20k at least. Unless the dealer is generous with trades, which they may be.

You can get good money for yours private party, especially with a warranty, however no one will pay what they would have paid buying it from a Ferrari dealer so not thinking it will make that much difference, plus you will have the headache of people wanting test drives, or worrying about it if the gearbox bites the dust 1000 miles after you sell it to someone and they have a huge repair, etc. And in most states you save the difference on the sales tax.

If they offer you $85k in trade for your car, laugh at them and walk out.

I love my current 2015 and now that I have it it's hard to imagine going back to the previous generation, but if I had just kept my 2013 back then, I would still be happy with it.

6. lfc8

lfc8 Rookie

Aug 20, 2020
    i keep getting emails about consignment, the nearest dealer to me is Foreign Cars Italia in Greensboro. They seem to be selling cars at a nice premium because of the market

7. TifosiConch

TifosiConch Karting

Jan 15, 2020
    Full Name:
    Paul Maurer
    I was just offered $105K for my 2015 Cali T with 23K miles, trade in on a Portofino. Dealership retail on my car would probably be 125-130K. I would expect 85-90K from a dealer on your car, what is the percentage the dealer charges on a consignment?

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  8. lfc8

lfc8 Rookie

Aug 20, 2020
    i didnt check the with specifically but the GM from Lambo Dallas called me said its 5% of the sales price all in. Not a bad route

9. andyrichter

andyrichter Karting

Jul 18, 2017
    Oahu
    Glad it wasn’t just me. Drove a Cali 30 and t last weekend and couldn’t believe how much better the engine, fit and finish, and suspension were on the t. It wasn’t even close. As a result I’m looking for a Cali t despite being a huge fan of na motors.

10. lfc8

lfc8 Rookie

Aug 20, 2020
  11. California Dreams

Feb 13, 2019
    I'm not the biggest fan of these videos but maybe it's helpful:

12. NYinTX

NYinTX Rookie

Apr 25, 2021
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Neil Ylanan
    Hi lfc8, I’m not sure where you are but I’m in Dallas and have been on the search for a california. Let me know. Might work out. Neil