Cool airplane photo thread | Page 30 | FerrariChat

Cool airplane photo thread

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by TheMayor, Oct 21, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RacerX_GTO

RacerX_GTO F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Gabe V.
    440MPH on floats, in the 1930's. Highly impressive.
    This thing would destroy itself in a lengthy dive.

TheMayor likes this.
  2. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    The Macchi held the world speed record for a while before being beaten by a far from production He-100 (463 mph) and then the Me-209 (469 mph). Production He-100 is kind of a joke and that aircraft was a huge propaganda victory for Germany. Pilots were still declaring they had shot down a He-100 in 1945 even though only 19 or so were built early in the war. Much better aircraft than the Bf-109, but.... Much prettier, too.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Yah but the HE100 or ME 209 never floated, took off, and landed on water. The Macchi is just darned impressive

4. Tobi

Tobi Karting

Jun 24, 2011
    Alto Palatinato
    A fascinating machine!

5. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Bob- I believe they set the record after the Brits won the trophy (unopposed) with the S.6B when the Macchi was not ready in time.

Those floatplane racers were definitely attractive and, yes, they did indeed take off and land on water. Unlike amphibians, no capability to land on terra firma.

Manda racing likes this.
  6. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
  7. NYC Fred

NYC Fred F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 28, 2010
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Fred C
  8. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Not sure where that is, but the F-15E and F-15C are both from RAF Lakenheath, so possibly RAF Mildenhall.

9. SAT4RE

SAT4RE Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2003
    Blairsville, GA
    #734 SAT4RE, Apr 12, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2021
    That's not necessarily true. The majority of floatplanes' floats are designed to withstand a landing on grass fields (preferably damp - but not needed). I know of operations, today, where this is done, specifically, to get non-amphib floatplanes into maintenance bases.

10. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    We were talking about 1920s and 1930s Schneider Cup racers, not anything else. So yes, it is true.

11. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    The early Schneider Cup racers were astonishing airplanes and possibly could have been landed on grass by a good pilot but why? They were unequaled in what they did and they were beautiful when they did it. I have witnessed a single-float plane land on grass several times and it always amazed me that there was no damage to the structure. They simply brought out a backhoe with a cable and lifted the Grumman onto a flatbed and took it back to the hangar.

12. SAT4RE

SAT4RE Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2003
    Blairsville, GA
    #737 SAT4RE, Apr 13, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2021
    Yes, I'm very well aware of what was being discussed. That doesn't change the FACT that your statement that these specific aircraft had "no capability to land on terra firma" is almost certainly FALSE. I didn't say that they all could, that most could, that more than one could - I said the statement wasn't necessarily true - and I know for a fact, being among other things a seaplane instructor, that stating a dedicated floatplane has no capability of landing on land - and I mean safely - is, in many cases, completely untrue. So, if you would like to stand by your statement that not a single aircraft that ever entered the Schneider Cup races was capable of landing on land, safely and not due to an emergency, then I'll accept the fact that your understanding of this specific subject matter - not your clearly demonstrated and extensive knowledge of other aircraft/aviation subjects - has been mislead.

13. SAT4RE

SAT4RE Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2003
    Blairsville, GA
    I do realize that my rebuttal was firm. I want to make it clear that I thoroughly enjoy reading TazandJan's, and most everyone's, well-informed and interesting posts. As it is for you all, aviation is a deep passion of mine. My first post on this topic was simply to make the point that landing on land with a floatplane/seaplane sans gear (wheels) is nothing new. When then challenged, I stepped-up to the plate, as most any Alpha Male does in this aviation world, and made my point even clearer. It was stated with ZERO disrespect for TazandJan, for whom I have a great deal of respect (as much that can be found through this type of forum).

14. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Very true, and they regularly TO from terra firma as well.

BJK likes this.
  15. SAT4RE

SAT4RE Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2003
    Blairsville, GA
    #740 SAT4RE, Apr 13, 2021
    Since I seldom contribute, and now have done so extensively in one page attempting to clarify the capabilities of floatplanes, let me relate some info that should be fun to read. The Golden Age of Aviation is something for which we all can wax-on, romantically. I love that period, and as I get older, is something I tend to find even more interesting. That being said, I was delighted to find myself in a position to get to know, and fly with, someone directly connected to that period: Roscoe Brinton, Jr. His father, Roscoe Sr., was a barnstormer in the late 20's and early 30's with Lowell Bayles. Roscoe Sr. helped finance the Granville Brothers Gee Bee operations, and performed in air shows in the Gee Bee Sportster. Lowell Bayles, who lived with Sr. and Jr., was the pilot of the race winning Gee Bee Z, and, unfortunately, was the one who was killed in the Z attempting to set a world speed record. We've seen the video of his wing folding and Z rolling wildly toward the ground. Before his untimely death, he was instructing 11-year-old Roscoe Jr. in an Aeronca C-2. One day when Lowell made a quick run off the airport, leaving the young Roscoe with the plane, Jr. decided for himself that it was time to solo! And he did! It was witnessed by the returning Lowell Bayles and the airport staff, and it made Roscoe Jr. the youngest solo pilot in history! He appeared in Ripley's Believe It or Not! Roscoe Jr. went on to be an instructor pilot to RAF pilots during WWII (in Florida, no less), and then had a full career at Eastern Air Lines. I took him flying for his 90th birthday in my Citabria and my Cub. Kermit Weeks and I were arranging to have him come down to visit Fantasy of Flight to see the replica Gee Bee Z (Kermit had his guys getting it airworthy - he wanted to fly it for Roscoe), but sadly, Roscoe Jr. passed away shortly before the trip. I gave his eulogy, and have several of his momentos from that Golden Age. His family has a Sporster prop and his father's Wright Brothers - signed logbook! Amazing history!

16. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
  17. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    SAT4RE- Show me images or evidence of a Schneider Cup aircraft landing on land and I will concede the point. Until then, I will stick to my story regardless of my experience (none) with floatplanes.

Bob Parks likes this.
  18. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    I was able to trace the status of this aircraft by deciphering the N number, N 69043. I had a hunch that it was the one that had a terrible ending after an illustrative life and indeed, I was correct. It was a Catalina that was the ultimate executive luxury vehicle that ended its life abandoned on a reef in the middle east.

19. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Look up, " Sweet Dreams and Nightmares" and Glen Odekirk for the sad story of this airplane.

TheMayor likes this.
  20. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #745 TheMayor, Apr 13, 2021
    You are correct. I got this photo about the plane from the story written about it.

But I liked this photo!

21. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    Tobi likes this.
  22. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Here's a picture of me last Friday with the neighbor kid. I used to say hi to him in the mornings as he rode his skateboard down the alley, with his cello strapped to his back, while on his way to school. Now he's a Marine test pilot based at China Lake.
    His dad called me Friday morning to say, "Go out on the front porch at 12:30, he's flying over Boulder from south to north." I heard them way before they went over, EA-18 Growlers 500 and 501. #500 was the first Growler produced.They landed at Centennial Airport.
    They stayed until Sunday, then flew over Boulder to say goodbye on the way back to China Lake.

EnzoItaly, Jacob Potts, Tobi and 7 others like this.
  23. NYC Fred

NYC Fred F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 28, 2010
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Fred C
    Wow. Back when boobs were REAL.

(Back to our normally scheduled programming)

24. NYC Fred

NYC Fred F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 28, 2010
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Fred C
  25. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F