Lowering my Pista | Page 13 | FerrariChat

Lowering my Pista

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by SoCal to az, Jan 11, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Aren't Novitec springs just rebranded KW's?

2. 458cc

458cc Rookie

Jan 26, 2021
    Full Name:
    Charlie
    I believe only for the 458's and up they are. I had a set of Novitec springs for my F430 and they had Eibach printed on the springs.

3. FordGTDriver

FordGTDriver Formula Junior

Jun 9, 2007
    I hope so...KWs are definitely the bee's knees. I have their coilovers on a couple of my cars (including my Ford GT, believe it or not) and they are fantastic.

Gh21631 likes this.
  4. Mickyd329

Mickyd329 Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2019
    Orange County Socal
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I've had my Pista lowered on the factory springs. Due to the suspension lifter, there was not much room for adjustment. It did make a little difference in stance, but nothing like the cars lowered on Novitecs. It still looks a bit high. The ride quality did not change at all. I just ordered the Novitecs and will be doing the swap in a couple of weeks.

SoCal to az likes this.
  5. Sargepug

Sargepug Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 23, 2020
    NYC
    So here is a dam good pic I took of mine, on the extreme left of the spring, it looks like Novitec is printed on the spring.... What color are the KW springs vs newly labelled Novitecs?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

GT2goneF likes this.
  6. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    They are indeed manufactured by KW, but obviously to Novitec's rates and specifications.
    Having a KW spring is not a bad thing.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Caeruleus11, GT2goneF and Gh21631 like this.
  7. Mickyd329

Mickyd329 Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2019
    Orange County Socal
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Just got the car back after installing the Novitec springs. The car now has a proper stance. Car definitely feels more agile and flatter in the corners. Ride quality did not diminish IMO.

8. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Did you get the exhaust installed?

9. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    Novitec (KW) on my 488GTB.... same part number you’d get for a Pista. Ride quality is awesome and the car corners flatter for sure.

GT2goneF likes this.
  10. Mickyd329

Mickyd329 Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2019
    Orange County Socal
    Full Name:
    Mike

Yes, I did. Sounds good. Not as loud as I thought it would be, but a nice increase in volume. Real nice high pitch at WOT.

I didn't realize, but the valve control button is not compatible with the Pista according to Kline. It only works for the 488.

Caeruleus11, Gh21631 and GT2goneF like this.
  11. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Strange on the valve controller, I wonder what the difference is. They didnt tell me this when we ordered, I wonder if it can be altered to work. Also, I bet you picked up some some power with the 200 cell cat's as well.

GT2goneF likes this.
  12. Mickyd329

Mickyd329 Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2019
    Orange County Socal
    Full Name:
    Mike

Apparently, the Pista setup is different from the 488 according to Kline. Nonetheless, I'll be getting a Capristo valve controller installed.

My butt dyno says it did, but who knows how much if any power it picked up. lol.

Gh21631 and GT2goneF like this.
  13. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    If you purchase the Capristo controller, make sure you get the Pista specific controller. The Capristo 488 controller does not work for the Pista either. Same goes for the Forza controller.

GT2goneF likes this.
  14. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    The ECU controls the vacuum for the exhaust valves on a 488GTB differently than a Pista.

GT2goneF and Il Co-Pilota like this.
  15. bisel

bisel Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve Bisel
    Forza controller for the Pista and F8 is different model than used on 488.

16. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    It’s been a year. I’ll be honest, I haven’t been in love with the stance of the car. Better than before but still not there. I’m having a local race shop corner balance and dial in the stance. The rear is too low, the front is too high. They are going to align and corner balance and hopefully get the stance right.

Porsche and Mclaren sit perfectly. Ferrari for some reason has the worst ride height in the industry. I’m hoping second time of dialing in the alignment and stance is a winner.

Here is a baseline photo:

Wikdstrate, ScrappyB and Thecadster like this.
  17. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Yes, that's what I said.

18. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Oh. How on earth did the stance end up like that? Balancing should clear that up. Don't settle for less than a 42/58 distribution. 42.5/57.5 would be even better.

19. Enzo Belair

Enzo Belair Formula 3

Jul 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Scott
    If you cannot get it where you want it, do not be afraid of trying the original springs and coil-over setup. Visually, I was able to get mine just right IMHO and I worked on the setup with my dealer to get the car balanced perfectly, more aggressive than stock, specifically in the rear. Ride height is not to low in the rear and I have not had an issue scraping the rear diffuser.

Attached Files:

vipertestarossa and AD211 like this.
  20. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    This has not been a good day. The race shop took off the wheels and guess what. No Novitec. Previous shop installed H&R. The previous owner doesn’t know what happened and he is going to replace them.

Un****ing Real!!!!!

21. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Because apparently I had a guy with a dildo for a brain working on my ferrari. The wrong springs were installed and here I am a year later. While the ride was greatly improved with the current springs over stock- it’s not even close to what is apparently possible.

I need a drink.

RoadRonin, mdrums and AD211 like this.
  22. FordGTDriver

FordGTDriver Formula Junior

Jun 9, 2007

Novitec. Moderate ride height, very streetable. Rides nice, maybe a little bit softer than factory. No problems, but I do use the nose lift liberally :)

REALZEUS likes this.
  23. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    Luckily Novitec springs can easily be installed and in the scheme of this don’t cost much…and…you’re going to LOVE the stance and ride quality…. It’s only going to be better from here!

RoadRonin and SoCal to az like this.