355. Adjusting headlights | FerrariChat

355. Adjusting headlights

Discussion in '348/355' started by Klas, May 26, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Klas

Klas Formula Junior

Mar 17, 2014
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Klas Nilsson
    Noticed that the headlights, when closed, are not really flush or liniar with the hood in the front end. Easy to adjust up a bit?

2. Klas

Klas Formula Junior

Mar 17, 2014
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Klas Nilsson
    Has no one done that job?

3. pamiro

pamiro Rookie

Sep 25, 2011
    try turning the manual headlamp leveling knobs ... as much as i remember they were under the "eyelids"... be careful not to get your hand stuck with an accidental headlamp movement so its better to open the headlamps - cut the pose - adjust the level ( turn the knob a bit ) and - power on - then turn off the headlamps and see if you are ok with the leveling ....
    i hope it helps ...

4. petrolhead71

petrolhead71 Rookie

Apr 1, 2021
    Grimsby
    Full Name:
    marcus truman
    Has anybody got to the bottom of this please? I have just recently purchased my 355 and the N/S headlamp sits low when closed, I have adjusted it manually. But as soon as I operate the headlamps and allow them to go back down, it still ends up lower than the body work. Any help would be much appreciated.

5. scrappin35

scrappin35 Karting

Dec 13, 2011
    FT Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Jim H
    I adjusted mine several years back and didn't have any reference so it took a couple of tries. . There's a splined shaft that comes out of the motor. Getting the control arm on at the right degree ensures it closes correctly. Inside the motor assy. there is a round electrical contact disc and its not adjustable so I assumed that was the only way to get the adjustment correct. For Sale - FERRARI 308 248 355 400 412 LEFT HAND LIGHT LIFTING MOTOR GOOD CONDITION | FerrariChat
    Check out this add and you'll see the arm which attaches with a 10mm nut. If it's close your probably only one turn off. Hope that helps.

petrolhead71 likes this.
  6. petrolhead71

petrolhead71 Rookie

Apr 1, 2021
    Grimsby
    Full Name:
    marcus truman
    Thank you very much for your help and Info, I will give that a go one evening this week, The motor looks very much like a wiper motor and the park mechanism inside will dictate the stop position. So I think your right with moving the operating arm on the spindle to get it set just right...Thanks Again.

7. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    The knob is only to manually open or close the headlight in the case of motor failure; it will not affect the the adjustment.

You do not need to disconnect the arm from the motor shaft and change its position. In any case, if you move it by one spline, the headlamp may then sit a bit high when closed. The fine adjustment is done via the threaded adjuster of the push-rod (the part marked by the red line on the diagram). The threaded adjuster has a normal thread on one side and a left thread on the other (see pic) so, when rotated in one direction, it will lengthen the push-rod; will shorten it when rotated in the other. Just loosen the two nuts that lock the threaded adjuster and turn it in the direction that will lengthen a bit the push-rod. This should move the headlight up.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. WATSON

WATSON Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    Thanks....saved me a ton of typing. :)