Good repairshop FL | FerrariChat

Good repairshop FL

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by apekop60, Apr 12, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. apekop60

apekop60 Rookie

Aug 22, 2020
    Full Name:
    Hans van der Kolk
    Hello, I am new new here. I recently bought a 1977 Kyalami, the 8 cyl.engine needs work.
    Does any know of a good shop in Florida in the Tampa Bay area. ( Sarasota area)
    Thank you !

2. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Not sure about Tampa bay and you do not want the wrong person working on a classic Maserati but in Fort Lauderdale ask Motorcar Gallery as they have dealt with a lot of classic Maseratis which is not so common in Florida, Steve Claasen (Tropical Sportscars) the expert is semi retired I think but they will be able to advise you, ask for Tom Clark or Ed Waterman (founder and still part owner). Tom Clark is the son of To sr who was the official Maserati dealer in the seventies and sold more Masers then than any other dealer in the country.

https://www.motorcargallery.com/

3. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    A possibility is Ferrari of Tampa and Ferrari Maserati of Central Florida. They are part of Classic Coach in Elizabeth, NJ.

4. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    How much engine work is needed? Are you wanting the engine tuned or completely rebuilding the engine?
    Ivan

5. apekop60

apekop60 Rookie

Aug 22, 2020
    Full Name:
    Hans van der Kolk
    The engine backfires on occasion. and sounds like a VW..;-)
    tried new plugs, had a local shop giving it a try but it's time for an expert I am afraid.

6. apekop60

apekop60 Rookie

Aug 22, 2020
    Full Name:
    Hans van der Kolk
    Thanks Ivan, this is the Kyalami you looked at, running very rough backfires a lot. thanks for reaching out.

7. apekop60

apekop60 Rookie

Aug 22, 2020
    Full Name:
    Hans van der Kolk
    Thank you so much. it's a bit of a drive, but If needed I will take it there. ! thanks !

Nembo1777 likes this.
  8. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Sounds like it should not be driven, you don't want to be standing by the side of Alligator alley with a blown engine...try the other suggestions here above (but a new Maserati Ferrari dealership may not have someone experienced with 30 year old Masers) and speak to Tom or Ed as to whom they would suggest. They will be curious to see the Kyalami because like most in the US hey prorbably have never seen one plus it is always fun to visit MCG. Then when you have someone reputable willing to receive the car flatbed it there. But do your due diligence first, perhaps drive or fly over there in a normal car to meet the people as there are lots of fly by night types in the sunshine state.

PS: It's a big drive for Holland but for the US it is around the corner;-) Good luck and let us know what the problem was when you find out, it's interesting.

F456M likes this.
  9. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    carb issue?

10. apekop60

apekop60 Rookie

Aug 22, 2020
    Full Name:
    Hans van der Kolk
    That is what I suspect...I hope no Valve issues...

11. apekop60

apekop60 Rookie

Aug 22, 2020
    Full Name:
    Hans van der Kolk
    Dank je ! ( Thanks) would be a long trailer ride. hope to find a closer solution but appreciate the lead.

12. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    I would start by doing a compression test, which is easy to do on that engine. Is this something you feel comfortable doing?
    Ivan

13. apekop60

apekop60 Rookie

Aug 22, 2020
    Full Name:
    Hans van der Kolk
    never done one myself, but I can get that done locally...or try it the first time myself . thanks

14. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    Take it to Ferrari Central Florida in Orlando, they are a Ferrari Classiche workshop should have no
    problem working on it. Maseratis are more straightforward than Ferraris or Lamborghinis of that era. Gut feeling it’s a carb issue, they may tell you to take it their Tampa store which is obviously closer for you. Don’t go to the current Maserati dealerships that aren’t long time Ferrari stores. The new Maserati dealership have trouble working on the 4200 era cars.

Nembo1777 likes this.
  15. apekop60

apekop60 Rookie

Aug 22, 2020
    Full Name:
    Hans van der Kolk

16. apekop60

apekop60 Rookie

Aug 22, 2020
    Full Name:
    Hans van der Kolk
    Thanks for the heads up. I will give them a call and will update with any progress !!

Nembo1777 likes this.