Titanium 308 Exhaust | FerrariChat

Titanium 308 Exhaust

Discussion in '308/328' started by RAMMER, Apr 12, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RAMMER

RAMMER Formula 3

Feb 20, 2004
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Rammer
    Greetings fellas:
    For years I have researched exhaust options for 308 GTBs. I currently have an Ansa that does not allow me to use the rear bottom spoiler/plate on my 1976 glass car (I believe it was meant for a GT4). Has any one ever heard of a custom made titanium exhaust for a 308? Titanium mufflers and parts from companies such as Vibrant aren't terribly expensive. I have seen some DIY 308 exhausts using magnaflow and flowmaster. I think a custom, true titanium dual exhaust would be killer. Nothing too complicated. Check out the Lamborghini Countach pic for inspiration. You can find this Lambo build on Vibrant's youtube channel. Maybe the mufflers would have to be sideways. Am I going crazy here or would this look good? Maybe I have I been watching too many Lambo youtuber exhausts reveal videos....
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. RAMMER

RAMMER Formula 3

Feb 20, 2004
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Rammer
  3. RAMMER

RAMMER Formula 3

Feb 20, 2004
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Rammer
    This is my current reality. I actually like the Ansa as compared to the the shiny $3-4k alternatives such as Tubi. I also think the car should sound better....

4. MFlanagan

MFlanagan Karting

Dec 21, 2016
  5. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    That spiral exhaust routing just looks... sorry, ridiculous.

Kidasters and mike996 like this.
  6. RAMMER

RAMMER Formula 3

Feb 20, 2004
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Rammer
    Your car is also missing the center balance. I have mine in the garage. It was probably removed to fit your exhaust.

7. RAMMER

RAMMER Formula 3

Feb 20, 2004
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Rammer
    I agree that it is overkill but its some of that look that I think would look nice. I think a shiny tubi style muffler does not fit a 308.

8. RAMMER

RAMMER Formula 3

Feb 20, 2004
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Rammer
  9. RAMMER

RAMMER Formula 3

Feb 20, 2004
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Rammer
    What I am describing does not really exist. Here is a Porshe exhaust with some of the elements that I admire. Thick tubing, true dual exhaust with single, thick exhaust tubes. Also in a nice golden color....

10. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    Get yourself a Tubi, you wont be sorry . What you have there does not belong on a 3x8 , thats for sure.

Thank you

11. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    ChevyDave, 308 milano, JV's89 and 6 others like this.
  12. JC Andruet

JC Andruet Karting

Jan 16, 2013
    I've aways thought they look unbelieviably naff, and much more about " show than go".
    A Porsche I bought did however have a stunning $16,500 titanium, inconel and stainless custom system. The headers were inconel, the crossover stainless and the rest of the system titanium, not a "pie cut" in sight, and as light as a feather. I estimated it to be 75% lighter than the stock system.

Inconel headers :

Headers and X pipe :

Crossover (minus cats) :

Titanium muffler (bends aplenty in the pipework and no "piecuts") :

Muffler internals :

Not only was it light, it was incredibly efficient and quiet too.

About as discrete as you could get also :

The inconel headers were so good at conducting heat, you could touch them without burning your fingers 20 minutes after switching the motor off ... (not recommended)

13. JC Andruet

JC Andruet Karting

Jan 16, 2013
    The Group 4 cars ran exhausts that were as good as open except for a couple of tiny resonators, I'd suggest the mufflers fitted to this car were fitted solely to pass noise tests at various circuits, and are a case of function over form, as opposed to the exhaust on the Lamborghini which looks to have been fabricated to be as noisy as possibly, whilst the pie cut method fabrication is regarded by some to be "art" and a testament to the fabrictor's "skills".

Strangely the likes of Kline and Akrapovic seem to be able to make titanium and inconel systems without resorting to the "art" of piecutting :

14. RAMMER

RAMMER Formula 3

Feb 20, 2004
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Rammer
  15. RAMMER

RAMMER Formula 3

Feb 20, 2004
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Rammer
    That GT3 must sound insane......

16. JC Andruet

JC Andruet Karting

Jan 16, 2013
    I'm with you completely, a well fabricated exhaust should be a work of art that doesn't need polishing. Unfortunately many equate shiny to expensive.

17. JC Andruet

JC Andruet Karting

Jan 16, 2013
    I no longer own the car, but you're right, it did sound rather good ...

18. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

I had the Ansa on my '77 for years and was very happy with it, but when I switched to the Tubi it really changed the car. It's a great sounding exhaust on the 308. I didn't get around to it before I sold it, but I was next going to take all the fiberglass out of the air box. I understand this also improves the sound.

19. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Don't worry, they lose their shine in a couple years....it won't stay that way for long

20. AZDoug

AZDoug Formula 3

Jun 17, 2009
    Along the Verde , AZ
    Full Name:
    Doug
    If I had $100 million dollars in the bank, I still don't think i would ever spend $16.5K on an exhaust system.

Doug

21. JC Andruet

JC Andruet Karting

Jan 16, 2013
    Each to their own, as I said, I bought the car with it fitted, but it wasn't a piece of "bling", it was designed and built by one of the top exhaust fabricators in the UK, and was built to a brief, that being to adequately silence a specially custom built 4.1 litre, 500hp N/A engine, so the car could pass noise test at ANY UK race circuit. It effectively had three briefs, flow sufficiently well to enable the motor to produce that 500hp, silence the car AND effect a decent weight reduction in what is a critical position on a 911. It did all admirably, so from the individual's perspective who commissioned it, it was worth every penny.

My guess is the majority of modern Ferrari owners spent more money on specifying carbon fibre "bling" on their brand new cars, than the individual who commissioned the exhaust on my old car ...

moysiuan likes this.
  22. AZDoug

AZDoug Formula 3

Jun 17, 2009
    Along the Verde , AZ
    Full Name:
    Doug
    Racing costs money, how fast do you want to go?

There is diff between racing parts and normal street use parts, IMO.

Doug

23. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Lol...I service that car..

f355spider likes this.
  24. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    My friend owns that Countach :)

I would buy a Tubi or a Nouvolari and have the canister sandblasted and painted black. It will far and away be the most economical option that yields the best look and sound. A center exhaust on a 308 (particularly a car that predominantly stock) would look well out of place.

Kidasters and tbakowsky like this.
  25. RAMMER

RAMMER Formula 3

Feb 20, 2004
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Rammer
    Some thoughts:

The parts to make a simple titanium exhaust would not be terribly expensive. Resonators and mufflers are 3-400$ each. Tubbing is $100 a yard. Hard part is getting someone to weld it who does quality work at a reasonable price.

I never thought about making a center exhaust.

I only bought the Ansa (used) because the original ultra heavy thermal muffler had a severe rattle inside. I have saved the original muffler.

I like the idea of saving some weight and having a true dual exhaust.

I know my car can sound better, especially at low RPM.