Annual service. What do you do? | FerrariChat

Annual service. What do you do?

Discussion in '348/355' started by Huskymaniac, Apr 11, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Huskymaniac

Huskymaniac Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2020
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Oil and filter change are a given. What else? Gear oil? Coolant? Air filter? Brake fluid?

My mechanic, who has been around a while and just bought a 2021 Corvette says that Coolant and brake fluid shouldn't need to be done every year. The air filter is easy so I will probably do that. I am iffy on the gear oil. I may do it anyway just to be sure I have the correct fluid in there as I don't know what is in there now.

Kokose7en likes this.
  2. Kokose7en

Kokose7en Karting

Dec 5, 2019
    SF Bay Area
    Oil service annually and brake/cutch fluid bi-annually. I wouldn’t do the gear fluid change or air filter replacement that quick of an interval, waste of money. It’s up to you.

though, if you are unsure of the fluid that is in there. Change it.

3. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    No different than any other car.

sherrillt likes this.
  4. spaghetti_jet

spaghetti_jet Formula Junior

Jan 5, 2005
    Europa
    Full Name:
    Bob
    #4 spaghetti_jet, Apr 11, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2021
    Just drained my gear oil after 10 years in the car (don’t ask why so long, it’s a long story). Anyway, the oil was crystal clear, like new. I’m sure it had degraded through age, but visually it looked great.

Not very scientific, but my conclusion is that I’m changing engine oil once or twice per year based on KMs done and gear oil and all the other fluids (coolant, brake fluid, PAS fluid) at each major.

5. bcar1

bcar1 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 2, 2017
    NYC/NJ
    Full Name:
    Bob
    My transmission cooler failed one year and had some coolant mixing with oil in the gearbox otherwise sounds like overkill.
    Bradan does
    Engine oil/filter
    gearbox oil
    coolant
    brake fluid

6. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    If you have a 355, which has a gear oil / coolant heat exchanger, then the annual service includes: Engine oil, oil filter, coolant, gear oil, and brake fluid. Inattention to the gear oil and coolant results in heat exchanger failure and a very bad day. I would skip the air filter.

bcar1 likes this.
  7. Huskymaniac

Huskymaniac Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2020
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Full Name:
    Tony
    It is a 348. I will check the gear oil and see how it looks.

8. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Ferrari manual:

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Frankly, I wouldn't (and don't) do #2 every year. If I tracked the car I'd probably do brake/clutch fluids annually.

Bertil likes this.