Retiring on Maui | FerrariChat

Retiring on Maui

Discussion in 'Hawaii' started by gil308, Apr 10, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. gil308

gil308 Formula 3

Jun 22, 2004
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Gil
    So the plan is to retire in less than 5 years and move to Maui. Housing costs being what they are, we will likely buy a condo. So storing a 308 becomes an issue. Some condos have garages, most don’t. But aside from storage, there’s the question of maintenance. Google search found someone in Kihei to is listed as doing Ferrari repairs. I’ve also heard that there’s a dealer tech from Oahu that sometimes comes to Maui to service vehicles. I think there’s a Testarossa on Maui. Any other Ferrari owners who could chime in with storage and maintenance info? The idea of selling the 308 is not one I’m ready to consider yet. Mahalo in advance.

PiersR and Blackspyder1 like this.
  2. Innovativethinker

Innovativethinker F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mark Smith
    Uh, not to rain on your plans, but I know at least a dozen people that have moved to Maui, which is one of my favorite family vacation spots, and every one of them have moved back.

I’ve seen a few fcars on Maui, and I believe there is a Fchat member living there now. Sorry I don’t know his screen name.

Climate control for storage would be a concern, especially with the salty air. There are houses more inland that you might be able to rent a garage from.

best of luck on your adventure.

3. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    If you want to live there just part time, probably not so bad. Leave the F car on the mainland. Cars go to Hawaii to die.

ryalex, carguyjohn350 and ChipG like this.
  4. Hawaii Brit

Hawaii Brit Karting
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2018
    Honolulu
    Hi @gil308 sounds like an awesome plan. I have lived on Oahu for the past 9 years & drive a F430. Exotics thrive on the islands... Yes, the tech from Honolulu Ferrari goes to Maui to service vehicles. Whilst living on any of the islands, it takes some adjustment, it's worth it.

Sav35, Innovativethinker and alex like this.
  5. Bob in Makiki

Bob in Makiki Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 30, 2017
    Honolulu
    Gil: You didn't ask, and it's none of my business, but have you considered retiring to Oahu? It is a physically beautiful island and has much to offer that becomes more important in retirement, if you are planning on living the rest of your life here. Having recently retired, I have been surprised how important having good medical facilities becomes as you start growing older. My wife's unexpected diagnosis with early stage breast cancer (now treated at Queen's) drove that home. When we first moved to Hawaii, more than 30 years ago, I once asked a friend who had grown up here which was his favorite island, thinking he would name one of the neighbor islands. After a short pause he answered, "I like Oahu." Now I would certainly agree.

And, of course, it is much easier to maintain a Ferrari on Oahu! The FCA chapter here is well managed and good fun as well.

It is your life, go where you will be happy! But living on Oahu is very different from being a tourist on Oahu, and it is a good life.

Best of luck to you! Aloha!

renman95 and Nonoyeahyeah like this.
  6. gil308

gil308 Formula 3

Jun 22, 2004
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Gil
    Thanks. I’m aware Hawaii isn’t for everyone so you’re not “Uh” raining on my parade. I know at least two dozen people who have moved to Hawaii and stayed. A home would be ideal, but the prices may not be.

7. gil308

gil308 Formula 3

Jun 22, 2004
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Gil
    I didn’t say I wanted to live there part time. I’m retiring and moving to Maui.

8. gil308

gil308 Formula 3

Jun 22, 2004
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Gil
    Thank you! We cannot wait. And with servicing the 308 being available, it just becomes an issue of storage.

Hawaii Brit likes this.
  9. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    I’ve been to Maui quite a few times and have family on the islands. As long as you won’t suffer from island fever or mis having a city to go to, it is great.

10. gil308

gil308 Formula 3

Jun 22, 2004
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Gil
    Thank you! We have considered Oahu for several reasons, including jobs and health care. I love Oahu. But Maui is our preference. The goal is not to have to work, and we will be relatively young at 57 so Maui health care, while lacking, should suffice. Friends of ours had major health issues and speak very highly of the care they received on Maui. We know that as we mature, Oahu will offer health care options well beyond Maui’s capabilities...and I don’t think we are forever closing the door on Oahu, but for now, Maui is the right choice for us.

11. Innovativethinker

Innovativethinker F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mark Smith
    oddly enough we had dinner last night with our neighbors who used to live there.

He was adamant that “once you move to Maui you will have every 4th cousin and high school friend reaching out to visit.

he went along with it, he is very good natured, but was very clear it was a big thing.

I had not heard that one before.

good luck, and please keep in touch in case we drop by one day. :)

fxchrisfx likes this.
  12. gil308

gil308 Formula 3

Jun 22, 2004
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Gil
    I have a small family and have made it clear that only our kids will be allowed to stay with us. For all others, we will recommend hotels If you help me repair my 308, you can stay.

13. Rick Weston

Rick Weston Karting

Mar 6, 2019
    Full Name:
    Richard Weston
    I get that. Maui is awesome. I have been there many times for vacation and did look at a house in Wailea several years ago that I passed on. Sometimes I mourn over that decision. It sounds like service for your 308 is available. Keep the car clean with fresh water and you will be all right. We only have some much time on this Earth. Cherish each moment...We are off to Naples, FL for the next step in our adventure.

gil308 likes this.
  14. jsh458ft

jsh458ft Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2020
    PA
    Hmmm... wrenching on a 308 with housing included... could be a fun vacation for many forum members :D

15. sjm999

sjm999 Rookie

Jul 14, 2020
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Okay, will chime in here as I 1) live on Maui and 2) have an F-car here. We moved to Maui about 4 years ago now and absolutely love it. Think those that are unhappy moving to Maui just prefer the big city life as opposed to the island vibe. Had been traveling to all the Hawaiian Islands past 30 years and Maui was the one that felt right to us so, I support your decisions 100%. Live on the North Shore and salt air is a constant battle. I try to wash all the cars at least every week or two and all are kept in the garage. Car that live outside in Maui, die outside in about 10 years time.

You may want to consider up country a bit as well - more affordable housing, fantastic views and friendly to cars - Pukalani and Kula are lovely. For us, we are in the water constantly and did not want the 20 minute drive but could see us moving upcountry in the coming years when our boys are grown and gone.

Service is a bit of a trick as the dealer is on Oahu (and does not answer their phone) but the tech does come over. Shipping to/from Oahu, if needed, is around $700 roundtrip. I do most of my own wrenching anyway so, unless it is something I need the dealer for, I just take care of it myself. Maintenance is easy on any car in my opinion. We have a handful of exotics on the island and every Sunday morning you will find groups of folks doing drives, mostly up the mountain. Decent car culture is you seek it out.

Happy to answer anything I can for you. I am not on f-chat very often but will try to keep an eye open for your questions.

And for everyone else, NO, we do not have room for guests but happy to point you to a good hotel :eek:. As InnovativeThinker mentioned, it really is a problem with everyone being your new best friend as soon as you move to the islands.

16. Mattitude

Mattitude Rookie

Jan 21, 2013
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    I propose a compromise. You leave your 308 in your friends' climate-controlled garage - where his 328 used to sit - and then you come back to Charleston every now and then to drive it. It's a win/win for sure!!!! :) (j/k)

Seriously - I hope all is well. Maybe we can meet up and C&C next month (I'm taking the Mustang up to CMP this weekend so won't be around). I still have that touch-up paint for you.

~Matt

17. gil308

gil308 Formula 3

Jun 22, 2004
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Gil
    We
    We considered Sarasota but Maui is yelling at us so ...

18. gil308

gil308 Formula 3

Jun 22, 2004
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Gil
    Thank you!! I considered Upcountry...wife says no. So we will be looking in West Maui. Garage is a goal for sure. Wife wants to keep her Mustang convertible in a garage and I want to keep the 308 in one. My Bronco will have to suffer outside. We did see a house that had room for 6 cars!! But prices will come into play too. So IF we can find a garage, that would be ideal.

As for service, I’ll buy you beer! Isn’t there a tech in Kihei? I found him on Google and his website says he works on Ferraris.

19. gil308

gil308 Formula 3

Jun 22, 2004
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Gil
    Just sent you a private message with my contact info. I’d love to chat.

20. gil308

gil308 Formula 3

Jun 22, 2004
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Gil
    It’s an option 308 is in the shop currently. Went in for oil change and needs belts done ‍♂️

Mattitude likes this.
  21. sjm999

sjm999 Rookie

Jul 14, 2020
    Full Name:
    Steve
    May want to take the approach of renting for 6-12 month to really get a feel of living in an area. Your wife may change her tune on upcountry after spending some time on island.

I have been known to work for beer :eek:). Have not heard about a tech in Kihei but, have not gone looking either to be honest.

22. Danedingerson

Danedingerson Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 26, 2011
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Dane
    I live in Maui with my 430 Upcountry in Pukalani. We have the best weather in Hawaii. Housing is much more affordable up here. It takes 16 minutes to drive to Kanaha Beach. The only place I want to drive the car is in the canyons in Kula nearby, its that good. If I go to Kihei I never take the car with me to the beaches crowded with tourists and no parking. Most of the petty crime is in West Maui because the tourists don't come back for court.I have had a series of aluminum extics and nad no real corrosion problems up country. Buying a home in this market requires an agent who looks every morning at the listings and puts in a bid in the first hours. You have ten days to walk away full deposit refund. If it actually a good deal there will be 20 other buyers waiting in ten days. Long term folk usually start in West Maui or Kihei ,then move up country. Most of the rich and famous live up here and not for the cheaper costs. A condo in West Maui with a garage and two other parking will start around $500K. That is about where a house with same parking starts in price. My best advice is to live in the area you plan to buy for months while you get in front of everyone else to buy the right condo.You may choose not to live there after a while of test driving the area.

23. Danedingerson

Danedingerson Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 26, 2011
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Dane
    There are many folks who want to move to Maui and other beach places right now. Prices rose 18% on Maui on average in 2020. likely to total 50% or more in five years.

24. sjm999

sjm999 Rookie

Jul 14, 2020
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I agree with you completely on all fronts. We live in Spreks but was a tough call between here and Pukalani (offer was accepted in Spreks, rejected on place up in Pukalani). Only place I drive our Cali-T is up the mountain our out past Grandmas for the same exact reason. The Taco does the other dirty work on island.

Anyway, we may have to get together for a drive some weekend morning - good to know another F-car owner on island.

Danedingerson likes this.
  25. Mowee

Mowee Rookie

Mar 7, 2021
    Orange County, CA
    Full Name:
    Jeff

I lived on Maui for over nine years and owned a few different cars while living there. I found an excellent mechanic that worked on a variety of specialty cars, if he can’t help you I’m sure he knows someone who can. Call Kim, owner atKiwi Car Care 808-870-7447 in Kahalui.

gil308 and Danedingerson like this.