How can I justify a Ferrari to my wife. | Page 9 | FerrariChat

How can I justify a Ferrari to my wife.

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Simon99, Jan 4, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Simon99

Simon99 Karting

Jan 4, 2021
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Simon
    "SaratogaCA", what a coincidence. I have lived in Saratoga for the last 15 years. Been commuting to my other home in Melbourne every other month until I got stuck here a year ago with COVID (Australians have not been allowed to leave the country since last June). My wife and kids are still in Saratoga. Haven't seen them since then. Maybe you should pop over and convince her with your logic. Especially since the last car I bought 2 years ago without telling her was a Mercedes. When she got off the plane in Melbourne and I picked her up in it, she said "I knew it. I knew you were up to something!" I had to smile. But it wasn't an E class. It was a '93 S500. A very nice example that has so far cost me as much to bring it back to where it should be as I paid for it!

Actually, no, now that I think about it, don't go over to see her. I haven't bought the 308 yet. Wait until I seek forgiveness before getting permission. I am going for the inspection up on the hoist next week. Carl, who went for the preliminary inspection, has already forewarned me: "Nothing that $30k won't fix."

Here's the S500 I bought. Best car Mercedes ever made, IMHO:

Attached Files:

carl888 likes this.
  2. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    Ultimately it comes down to condition. Fortunately FChat has a very good check list of things to look out for. I'd follow that advice to the t. the most important thing I think to have done is Compression Test, leak down, and check the cooling system under pressure. about 25LBS to 30Lbs should show any weak spots, dry rots etc.... all the rest can be sorted over time, and some like electrics will just keep happening ... its part of 308 ownership. best of luck!

I think you can get 16 inch wheels pretty easily and swap out the BBS's.

3. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    Just let her known that all men have some sort of a hobby, some are into cars and others are into women.
    Let that sink in, when she thinks about it she will be much more receptive to your idea.

4. Simon99

Simon99 Karting

Jan 4, 2021
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Simon
    Now the 308 is beginning to sound like good value!

5. alex

alex Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Crystal Lake, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Alex
    My wife told me "Buy the car, leave the women alone!"

6. simon klein

simon klein Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
    G'day Simon,Simon here as well.
    I've,obviously!,come in quite late here.
    Ask Carl about a couple or so drives he and I have had in my 365GT4 2+2.
    Last of the 'family' cars to have the combination of :carbys,manual only and knock off wheels.
    I justified that purchase 'cos I then had a family,don't now :(,and was able to get our two boys into the car comfortably.

There are some for sale in Aussie ATM but if you have your heart set on a REV8OHOS then Carl is the man to guide you with a prospective purchase...as you'd know!. GLWP

7. craze

craze Formula 3

Mar 5, 2021
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Is she only unreasonable about purchases? If you can afford it, if it wont impact your lifestyle in a bad way? Then saying no is just not right
    Ill tell her to hit the road

Npieko likes this.
  8. Simon99

Simon99 Karting

Jan 4, 2021
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Simon
    No, my spouse is a very reasonable person. And very forgiving. She's going to have to be. I'm sitting here at breakfast about to go have a second look with Carl at a 308 QV with 69,000kms and original paint. We're putting it up on the hoist. The Ghost belonging to the previous owner, an 80 year old Alfa mechanic who owned it for 27 years. Wish us luck! Oh, and Simon, Carl says hello! Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my moto g(8) plus using FerrariChat.com mobile app

burgesssally787 likes this.
  9. alex

alex Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Crystal Lake, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Good luck!

10. Simon99

Simon99 Karting

Jan 4, 2021
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Simon
    jm2 likes this.
  11. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    can't read the whole thread. up to page 3.

@op, have her test drive with you, let her see how happy you are driving it. If she sees how happy you are, then she should be happy for you having found something that makes you giggle like a little boy. If that does not touch her because money to her is more important than your genuine happiness, then you should know the answer. Of course, may be cheaper to keep her than buying the Ferrari. Then at the end it is about you who need to decide how much it should cost you for your happiness and where the happiness really comes from.

but of course this is all said assuming you are financially sound, not just buy the car, but to maintain the car which will be more expensive than purchase. I assumed you are since you rent planes for pleasure.

12. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Looks like that photo was taken from the back seat, which would be remarkable.

13. Simon99

Simon99 Karting

Jan 4, 2021
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Simon
    The suspense is over. Today, I bought a 308 QV.

I initially wrote quite a bit about the day out to go see it, what we found and the decision to go ahead, but then decided that unless someone wants to know more, I don't want to bore everyone with the details.

I'm all in.

Interesting times ahead. For those of you that have persisted with this thread, you may be wondering what my justification will be to my wife, who will, given the indulgence, be curious at the very least. I have had some thoughts about that. And a lot of guidance thanks to all the contributors to this thread. But it is late here in Melbourne, Australia, and I can reflect upon that tomorrow.

Today was about confirmation that the vehicle we were looking at was a very good example. With Carl's guidance, which I could not have done without, I believe we are on the right track.

14. alex

alex Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Crystal Lake, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Congrats and enjoy it!

15. EnzoItaly

EnzoItaly Formula Junior

Sep 29, 2016
    Great news: congratulations... enjoy it to the max!!!

16. Simon99

Simon99 Karting

Jan 4, 2021
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Simon
    A couple of photos below. After being up on the hoist, Carl remarked that the car is very original and unmolested. Original paint in great shape. The obvious exception is the wheels. While they are in good shape, they will have to go. Here starts the search for TRX wheels, if I want to match the original spare. Yes, TRX vs. 16" is a decision yet to be made. But if anyone has a set, I'm all ears. The tyres are 24 years old. So they will need immediate replacement until I find original wheels.

We met the previous owner of 27 years, an 80 year gentleman who runs an Alfa repair shop with his son. He let us use his hoist. He adjusted the valves 22,000kms ago, so it will be due for that in a couple of thousand kms, along with belts. The "Mother of all Birthdays" as Carl called it. Let the bills begin...

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

AtomicPunk88 and jm2 like this.
  17. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Praise be!

Does she know yet?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

18. craze

craze Formula 3

Mar 5, 2021
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Well done! What part of melbourne?

19. Simon99

Simon99 Karting

Jan 4, 2021
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Simon
    Toorak. But not deliberately, just historical. The average age of the suburb reminds me of our mortality. As many forum posters have said, don't wait until it's too late. It was a factor in my purchase.

Stereotypes aside, there are some little known consolations of living in Toorak:

- No late night parties to keep you awake. Everybody is in bed by 9pm.
    - The loudest sound I've heard was when Carl drove his 308 up out of my garage. Music to my ears. :)
    - A giggle at the amount of respect an old Rolls Royce gets. When an 80 year old gent walked past Carl and his beautiful Silver Shadow, he waved his walking cane saying "I had one of those when it was new!"

I suspect the shareholders were the unwitting funders.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Whose scooter?

21. Simon99

Simon99 Karting

Jan 4, 2021
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Simon
    Ahhh, not yet. I'm working on that.

I made my regular blood donation today. There was a certain irony to what lies ahead.

22. Simon99

Simon99 Karting

Jan 4, 2021
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Simon
    #222 Simon99, Apr 13, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2021
    A friend's.

Scooters are fun. But never my thing. In over a dozen bikes I've owned, mostly sport bikes, the only scooter I owned was a 1960's Durkopp Diana. After 9 road accidents without an injury, I decided that if this cat had 9 lives, he had burned all of them. So I hung up my boots in my 20's.

That said, I've only ever yearned for a Bimota DB1. I test drove one in the 80's. But at 6'1" and a fit 83kg, my legs still didn't fit into the tank cutouts. The most beautiful bike ever produced, IMHO. Never made it to the US, so not well known. Production in the hundreds, so good ones rarely come up. For those of you who don't know, photo attached.

No, today, just give me a decent Ducati 851. The motorcycle equivalent of a 308. Beautiful triangular geometry. Joy just to go pick up the newspaper and the bread on Sunday morning! Photo also attached.

One day... Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

wax, paulchua and jm2 like this.
  23. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    If she is like my wife; she already knows. Just own up!!!!

Congratulations by the way!

24. Mike-456M

Mike-456M Rookie

Jun 10, 2016
    I must be exceptionally lucky. Yesterday, out of the blue, my wife suggested I take $20K out of our retirement fund to do a needed valve job on the Ferrari. She’s not perfect, but pretty damn close!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

25. Mike-456M

Mike-456M Rookie

Jun 10, 2016
    Exactly right. If some truly important aspect of your life could suffer from purchasing a Ferrari, think long and hard before pulling the trigger. Great though they are, Ferraris are a want, not a need.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

alex likes this.