430 - What is the torque value for the bolts on crash plate at the back of the gearbox? | FerrariChat

430 What is the torque value for the bolts on crash plate at the back of the gearbox?

Discussion in '360/430' started by CoreyNJ, Apr 12, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. CoreyNJ

CoreyNJ Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 17, 2006
    New Jersey Shore
    My fabspeed exhaust bracket rubs against the diffuser (both stock and new) and I can’t really adjust it away without my Kline exhaust hitting the bumper (the Kline is a work of art but they have a single piece for the bottom which doesn’t allow much alignment adjustment).

Plan A is to have my mechanic take a look and possibly trim the bracket a little. It’s busy season so not sure when he can get me in since he will need one of his lifts.

Plan B is to remove the bracket myself as I already marked where it needs some trimming then bring it over to a machine shop who would have a band saw to cut it and then reinstall. I would go to town with an angle grinder myself, but it might discolor the stainless steel on the bracket too much. A machine shop would have experience on how not to overheat the stainless.

If I go plan B, i found the torque specs for the bracket itself and the U bolt, but can’t find the specs on the black crash protector. Pretty sure it has specific torque specs because it is marked that it was torqued with a pen. See pic.

Anyone know the specs for the bolts on the crash protector?

Btw in the pics you can see the white fiberglass to see how far it wore a groove in the diffuser, so I think the bracket needs to be trimmed a little more to give extra clearance which is what the sharpie line is for.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Thanks,
    Cheers,
    Corey

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    #2 flash32, Apr 12, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2021
    24 - 30 nm - that is for a Scud not sure if the same

The WSM that I have for the 430 does not have it .. the scud wsm has it on d1.03

3. CoreyNJ

CoreyNJ Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 17, 2006
    New Jersey Shore
    Thanks. I would assume the value is the same for the 430.

4. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Given the range and similar gear box i would say it is a pretty safe assumption

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

5. Extreme1

Extreme1 Formula 3

Jun 27, 2017
    Santa Clarita, CA
    Corey, it looks like that would be real easy to trim off with a small angle grinder, with it still on the car. No need to remove it.
    Harbor Freight has cheap ones. I think they are called 4” angle grinders.

6. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Its only a tiny bit to take off, either use an angle grinder with a disc for stainless and dont press too hard or use an engineers file and a vice.

7. colorfull

colorfull Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2020
    Franklin Park, New Jersey
    Full Name:
    John Napoli
    I would recommend giving Fabspeed a ring and see what they suggest. I'd think they should be ok doing it for you since their design added too much material creating a 'wing', unlike OEM (pic attached). They're a nicer 1 hour drive out to PA from where you are.

I've also attached the Torques table from the manual. I was trying to find that same torque spec, it doesn't list specifically, I went with 24 Nm.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. CoreyNJ

CoreyNJ Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 17, 2006
    New Jersey Shore
    #8 CoreyNJ, Apr 13, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2021
    I was going to go to Fabspeed and see what they could do with the bracket and I decided not to bug my mechanic with this as he has better things to work on even though he did offer to just trim it with a plasma torch for me. So I wound up taking the bracket off myself and bringing it to a local machine shop and they trimmed the bracket. Figured this way I don't have to drive the car around half assembled and I do need to get comfortable doing stuff on my Ferrari myself. If it was my GT3 I wouldn’t hesitate to grab a wrench and fix something.

So installed everything, and torqued it up to spec using my brand new Harbor Freight digital adapter (I have a good 1/2 snap on torque wrench but it's enormous and I only use it for lugs).

The big question... I'll drive it around tomorrow a little to make sure nothing rattles before I put on my diffuser, but should I re-torque things after driving or once it's torqued it should be ok?

Thanks,
    Cheers,
    Corey

9. colorfull

colorfull Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2020
    Full Name:
    John Napoli
    Glad you're all set!

I will leave the answer to that to the more experienced folks

I have done retorquing but have never found that anything moved

10. Extreme1

Extreme1 Formula 3

Jun 27, 2017
    Santa Clarita, CA
    You only need to torque it once.
    If you are installing new wheels, especially aluminum ones, they need retorquing after 100 miles.

Is your new diffuser shaped differently? I’m assuming your stock diffuser didn’t hit the exhaust bracket. Or did you install the new diffuser and new exhaust bracket at the same time?

11. CoreyNJ

CoreyNJ Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 17, 2006
    New Jersey Shore
    Stock did hit the bracket also, only noticed it when I installed the new diffuser and was on the ground looking though the mesh. It seems there is a groove worn into the original diffuser which is the white "fiberglass" dust on the bracket.

I only drove about 100 miles since the bracket was installed with my new Kline exhaust. This is really an issue with the Kline since the entire bottom of the exhaust is a single piece (X-Pipe to all four tips) so there isn't a whole lot of adjustment according to my mechanic. Most exhausts separate the left and right side so they can be adjusted individually with more "play". The Kline is a work of art, but that is one downside. I also think the stock brackets wouldn't not have hit. The Fabspeed brackets are flowing in design so they are a bit larger than stock.

12. colorfull

colorfull Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2020
    Full Name:
    John Napoli
    If I read Corey's post right, Fabspeed bracket wore into the stock diffuser, he didn't want the same to happen to the new CF diffuser

Extreme1 likes this.
  13. colorfull

colorfull Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2020
    Full Name:
    John Napoli
    @CoreyNJ

You said

"I also think the stock brackets wouldn't not have hit."

I'm about to install my Kline with stock brackets

Presume you meant stock brackets would not have hit?

Thank you

14. CoreyNJ

CoreyNJ Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 17, 2006
    New Jersey Shore
    Yes. The stock brackets don't bow our as far as the Fabspeed. When I looked at my cars service records while I was putting them into a book, I noticed two brackets replaced at different times under warranty so I figured I'd just replace them pro-actively with the Fabspeed ones.

colorfull likes this.
  15. CoreyNJ

CoreyNJ Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 17, 2006
    New Jersey Shore
    Here is a pic of the slightly shaved left bracket installed.

colorfull likes this.
  16. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Cant believe you could not just file it down ,

17. CoreyNJ

CoreyNJ Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 17, 2006
    New Jersey Shore
    I could have filed it down or cut it with an angle grinder. I’m kind of a perfectionist/OCD so it had to be done cleanly on the right machine where it didn’t discolor the stainless from the heat.

18. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    I am a bit handy with a file after 40 plus years on the hand tools. Filed a few shaft keys out of round bar before now, ships normally only have a lathe so you need to be adaptable

19. CoreyNJ

CoreyNJ Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 17, 2006
    New Jersey Shore
    I'm pretty handy too, but for some reason I'm not comfortable doing much mechanical work yet on my Ferrari. Strangely, I have no issues with working on million dollar museum artifact restorations on a daily basis so it's not value based. I think it's something I just need to learn to be comfortable with. The pandemic doesn't help because I feel guilty about working on my cars instead of finding something to do with my family that's allowed. Before the pandemic lockdowns, I nice trip to London, Paris or Prague would get me months of time working on my Porsche or some other project without a guilt trip from the family ;)

Cheers,
    Corey

20. CoreyNJ

CoreyNJ Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 17, 2006
    New Jersey Shore
    Went to put on the diffuser and while it didn’t hit it was only a few MM clearance on engine startup. If I ever had an engine mount go it would hit and crack the carbon fiber. So off came the bracket and I took a little bit off with an angle grinder and a stainless steel flap wheel. I took my time so I wouldn’t overheat the metal and then cleaned it up with a file. I’m still glad I had it initially done by the machine shop as it made me more comfortable just taking a little more off with the
    Angle grinder.

Anyway here are pics of the bracket installed again and the diffuser. I hope to take some better pics of the diffuser tomorrow with the car out of the garage in the sunlight. Just had too many things to do today I didn’t get more than a drive around the block to check everything.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

21. CoreyNJ

CoreyNJ Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 17, 2006
    New Jersey Shore
  22. colorfull

colorfull Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2020
    Full Name:
    John Napoli
    Damn Corey, between the stripe and the CF, that is one drop dead gorgeous F430!

Sweet lic plate

23. colorfull

colorfull Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2020
    Full Name:
    John Napoli
    And those Kline tips....awesome

24. CoreyNJ

CoreyNJ Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 17, 2006
    New Jersey Shore
    Yep, Kline Valvetronic exhaust with the Inconel button in my accessory power socket to control the valves. Actually the tips need to be adjusted, the left side is about 5mm higher than the right. I got instructions last week from Kline on how to do make additional adjustments but want to order spare clamps for the exhaust to cats because there is a chance when I loosen them up I might need new ones. Apparently there is special procedure to get an extra 20mm of adjustment that is different than other exhausts because both sides of the tips are welded to the X-Pipe and exhaust input.

Cheers,
    Corey

25. colorfull

colorfull Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2020
    Full Name:
    John Napoli
    Very cool

Mind sharing? Doing mine soon